Problem reading CD`s after burning

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 orange16v

orange16v

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:09 PM

Hi all, I`m hoping good old Spyware forum can come up with the goods with this one...

I burnt some files (mixed) to a CD using windows XP pro on a HP system with standard CD-writer. I used the disc a few times to move data from the CD back onto my PC, but after a while it just stopped working?? There are no scratches that i can identify on the CD...so this has now become a huge mystery!?
The CD-rom shows that there is 35.7mb on the disc but dosen`t show any file types?? or errors?
I`ve tried other PC`s to read from the disc but all it asks is for me insert a disc..!

Please help, this data on the CD is very important to me.

Regards

Paul

#2 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 12:33 AM

I've seen CD-Rs take a dive for no reason before; IMO, they are only slightly more reliable than floppies in some ways. The one that came to mind had a big ink blob where the spiral was supposed to be, and it was a total mystery how it got to be that way. Since, I have learned to make 2 copies of CD-Rs that are important to me. Windows is infamous for not providing any information other that "cannot read...", but there are several good utilities to *try* and recover what material is available. Also, the utilities included with Nero are a good place to start for purely technical details of any disk you may have.
After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button