I paid the price

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 marym

marym

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 12:38 PM

I am an occasional downloader of bittorrent programs and music files. Recently, after downloading a couple of albums, my computer started misbehaving - occasional crashes, slow downs, explorer.exe errors, and event viewer errors. I ran Adaware, Spybot, Nod32, pest patrol, and MS Antispyware and I am behind a router running xp pro. Nothing showed except for a few tracking cookies. I then ran Ewido, which found all my firefox tracking cookies, but still the problems persisted. I tried Anonymizer Anti-spyware beta. It found more registry errors, including "PC Remote Control". When I rebooted my computer, I was now required "log on "to my computer, and I couldn't access my hotmail. I delved further into my system to discover Remote Assistance had been turned on, and another user account created. Other services had been turned on in my firewall exceptions:PNRP, UPnP groups, and more (can't remember). I believe my computer has been hacked, and I'm not really sure of the extent of the damage. I have now cleaned it up,(cleared cache, cookies, temp etc) ran numerous scans, Windows firewall on, and all seems ok again. Wow, what an experience. It's time to stop with the "free" downloads, nothing in life is free, and I paid the price. Comments appreciated.

#2 Alpha_Blue

Alpha_Blue

Malware Fyta

• PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 07:40 PM

I agree. Only the good things in life are free.
It's okay to download episodes that show on TV because you can record them with a VCR anyways for free.
Other than that, though, its bad to download pirated stuff and warez and cracks and all that junk...bad, illegal, and dangerous.
I'm glad you learned your lesson...sounds like your pc got pretty hacked.

#3 amal95

amal95

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:04 AM

Wow! On my desktop, which I share with a teen sister, I had huge problems w/ spyware, till I came here a long time ago and fixed it all :) and since she has known to stay away from that stuff. That computer is older, and I haven't used it really. I'm sure it still suffers sluggishness due to whta she had done, and my brother says that later we'll just save our files and reformat the thing from scratch.
For now, I use my laptop, which I let her use, w/ some trepidation. LOL

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button