• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 kazren

kazren

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 04:54 AM

Hi,

My computer is so full on c drive so I've been transfering things from c drive to d drive to make some space, although c drive almost immediately becomes full again. So, I moved a my document folder from c drive to d drive and it asked me if I wanted to replace the folder and clicked yes and now I realise that the two my documents folders had different things in and as a result I have completely lost a folder that I need. Is there any way I can get it back? I don't know if this is correct or not but I went into restart ms dos and at c windows I typed in scanreg /restore and tried to go back 2 days but it said systen restore failed. Please help. Many thanks. Karen.

#2 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 06:59 PM

You need to restore a folder and its files, rather than a past copy of the registry. I assume you are using 98 or ME, since you mention "MSDOS mode." Restoring that folder and its contents is likely to be dicey at best since that space is likely to have been overwritten by other files by now. You might consider procuring an old copy of Norton Utilities which has the Norton Protected Files function, and allows deleted files to be restored relatively easily, and has a DOS-only executable as well.

One thing you said is of concern however: you mention that drive C: "fills up" again quickly. Is this due to your efforts or is there possibly some malware doing this "for" you?

YOu might consider purchasing some floppies for backup of your important documents, in addition to moving them to another drive. Use .ZIP files if you want, which also supports multi-volume (floppy, in this case) archives. Alternatively, you might consider a CD-R drive with Nero software, that comes with a backup routine.

With multi-gigabyte HDs available now, backup is considered an "old-fashioned" practice, but seeing dozens of posts in various fora regarding lost data, whether it be due to hardware defect or user mistake, confirms in my mind at least that it is not only not old-fashioned, it is still as much of a necessity as it ever was.
After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#3 kazren

kazren

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 04:26 AM

[quote name='hornet777' date='Oct 5 2005, 08:59 PM']
One thing you said is of concern however: you mention that drive C: "fills up" again quickly. Is this due to your efforts or is there possibly some malware doing this "for" you?

Many thanks for your help. It is not me who is filling up C drive again with data. C drive has no mbs at all so I've been transfering folders and programs to the empty D drive to create space. Maybe I get 50 mbs and then I go on the internet and then the space has gone again. I've hardly anything left that I can see to transfer onto D drive now so I don't know. C drive is so full but I can't understand what it is full with. I'm not sure what malware is but maybe it is that. Many thanks.

#4 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 11:48 PM

Hmmm, that's a red flag.

I'd recommend you run a HiJackThis log and post it for the experts to review in the proper area.

Also, you might try adjusting your Internet Cache: r-klik on the Internet Explorer Icon on the desktop, select Properties; on the first tab (first) klik delete files and make sure "delete all offline content" is selected before kliking OK; (next) klik the Settings button and adjust the size of your cache to 5 MB or so and see if that makes a difference. I doubt it, since you say your \My Documents folder is the one filling up, but its worth a shot. Then run your HJT log and post it, PLEASE!

Edited by hornet777, 07 October 2005 - 04:34 AM.

After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#5 1972vet

1972vet

Advanced Member

• Security Colleague
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 12:46 PM

" Is there any way I can get it back?"

Have you tried this:
http://www.geocities.jp/br_kato/
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978