Photo

Which firewall are you using?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Poll: Which firewall are you using? (109 member(s) have cast votes)

Which firewall are you using?

1. Sygate (14 votes [12.84%])

Percentage of vote: 12.84%

2. Tiny (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Safe'n'Sec (0 votes [0.00%])

4. BlackICE (0 votes [0.00%])

5. ZoneAlarm (34 votes [31.19%])

Percentage of vote: 31.19%

6. Norton Personal Firewall (5 votes [4.59%])

Percentage of vote: 4.59%

7. Outpost (8 votes [7.34%])

Percentage of vote: 7.34%

8. Other (39 votes [35.78%])

Percentage of vote: 35.78%

9. None (9 votes [8.26%])

Percentage of vote: 8.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 vini-v

vini-v

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:35 PM

It is a good idea to disable Windows firewall (or any other firewall) when you run another because the 2 programs can conflict and cause a variety of problems...

and is this firewall good enough in this day n age?

What firewall are you referring to?? If you mean the Windows Firewall, the answer is no... It is not a good choice since it apparently still only blocks incoming attacks...

welp thats all i have running i did have Mcafee going but let it go , actually i did'nt even have the default going until tonight did'nt even know windows had that in here this is a new computer.

Better go and buy one.

#52 vini-v

vini-v

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:45 PM

Ok i've got the zone alarm pro with key gen and all:)just barrowed it from limewire.

#53 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,574 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:50 PM

Ok i've got the zone alarm pro with key gen and all:)just barrowed it from limewire.

Rather than stealing it, why not go to the ZoneAlarm website and download the free version... It doesn't offer as many functions, but it actually runs better than Pro... Also, Kerio is still being offered for free by Sunbelt and it is a better option in my opinion... A stolen version (of any program) is far more likely to include malware by the way...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#54 vini-v

vini-v

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:04 PM

Rather than stealing it, why not go to the ZoneAlarm website and download the free version... It doesn't offer as many functions, but it actually runs better than Pro... Also, Kerio is still being offered for free by Sunbelt and it is a better option in my opinion... A stolen version (of any program) is far more likely to include malware by the way...

I looked around and i still am capable of using mcafees firewall which came with the computer so i'm trying that out but i'll go and take a look at the Kerio that seems to be the most popular here thanks Budfred

#55 vini-v

vini-v

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:07 PM

I just ran this test thru hackerwatch dot org and got this reply with the Mcafee firewall on,

Unable to Probe

The IP address requesting this page is different from the IP address of your computer. This indicates that your computer is behind a proxy or NAT. These devices allow you to access the Internet by relaying traffic, typically from multiple computers, through a single IP address.

We are unable to directly probe your computer, you should take comfort from this. You have that much more protection between your computer and the Internet.

#56 Disruptor4

Disruptor4

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:30 AM

IS there any option to edit this poll? I have more to add.

yeah go to your first post and click edit? thats what i do on some other forums i go to

#57 ll x ll

ll x ll

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:17 PM

I use that new ad-aware firewall by Lavasoft. :cool:

Edited by ll x ll, 10 January 2006 - 09:50 PM.

#58 Lima.Beans

Lima.Beans

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:07 PM

I'm am using Kerio Personal Firewall, or now know as Sunbelt-Kerio Personal Firewall. ;D

#59 terry1966

terry1966

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 04:23 AM

I use a firewall provided by my isp for a small monthly fee called Norman they also provid a real time virus checking for the same fee. I like it coz its easy to change any rules you make. It askes you for every out going connection for every program unless you specify the program can access any address the same for what ports a program is allowed to access. You can also allow or block both incoming cookies and out going cookies as well as
scripts,activex and applets. I know it sounds complecated but you get used to it.Its set up so it blockes all incoming any port any address.All progs that need updates are only allowed thier 1 address for updates ect. no program is allowed to access any port. and if you find something doesn't work coz you blocked it just go to the rules and allow. simple. :-)

#60 Remouald

Remouald

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:43 PM

I use "Look N' Stop" and I'm happy with it. Very low ressource usage and effective.

#61 Martijnc

Martijnc

Forum Deity

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 04:31 AM

I use Webroot Desktop Firewall

#62 MoJo Risin&039;

MoJo Risin&039;

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:06 AM

Used to be using Norton Personal Firewall, but later realised that although it is not bad, but it takes up lots of resources. Also, it slows down the startup of the computer. After removing Norton and replacing it with ZoneAlarm, my computer can start up much faster.

Roger that Orcaz. I ran it on an older, low-end system; so long ago I donít remember the version offhand. I do remember that it constipated my PC to the point where I simply got fed up and deep-sixed it. :thumbsdown:

I was going to use Sygate Personal. However, since Symantec took them over, theyíre severing freeware support shortly. Currently running ZoneAlarm (as in my sig below), but Iím seeing a lot of Kerio users here. Might look into that and switch. :hmmm:
Regards,
MoJo

They said the baby looked like me. Then they turned her rightside up.

#63 DaHen

DaHen

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:13 PM

Using Outpost 3.0 on this machine.

:D

#64 Kapten

Kapten

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 04:25 AM