Virus Definitions Updates

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 08:43 AM

Use Live Update on Norton and usually works fine. On 16th dec updated but failed on Virus defintions with error code 'LU1844. While the virus defintions were being downloaded an error occurred. Please try running LiveUpdate again later.'

Tried again and again but no luck. Went to Symantec Help Centre and tried everything there except re-loading Norton from CDs (turned everything off, started again in safe mode, used some funny update engine etc) but still no luck.

The only thing I have changed since the defnitions were last updated is tbat I switched to Kerio Firewall 2.1.5 from version 4 as suggested by Spyware Weekly Newsletter. Also running SpyBlaster and SpyGuard as well as Norton (version 9.05.15 came with Dell computer abd subscribe to updates) and Kerio.

Have read FAQs and can post a Hijackthis Log if needed?

Has anyone else encountered this problem and can help please, I'm feeling a little exposed if there is an update out there I can't download! :huh: [font=Comic Sans Ms]

#2 Nosrep

Nosrep

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 08:10 AM

Have you read this article from Symantec?
http://service1.syma...c=tranus_con_br

One option to take particular notice of is overwriting virus definitions with the Intelligent Updater. This will at least get you up to date again.

#3 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:29 AM

Thanks Nosrep

I have managed to use the Intelligent Updater to get my virus definitions up to date. I have also done some research and found out that general web opinion is that this is a bug in Norton and there is no easy way to get rid of it - it keeps re-appearing. So it looks like I'm manually updating for now.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button