FunWebProducts/MySearch

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 El reteiPos

El reteiPos

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:55 AM

People always say that FunWebProducts and MySearch stuff are bad and evil but I don't know if it's true. I read their disclaimer, privacy policy and such things and they say their products don't contain spyware, so now I don't know who I should believe.

So my question is: what's wrong with FunWebProducts and MySearch?

Edited by El reteiPos, 06 January 2006 - 08:56 AM.

#2 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:32 AM

http://www.networkwo...3/1208web2.html

Believe the industry experts, read the above. FunWebProducts is garbage.
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#3 El reteiPos

El reteiPos

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 08:18 AM

But why is it so evil? I think there are only a few reasons why people call it evil:
  • It comes bundled with MySearch
  • MySearch MAY hijack your error pages
  • It slows down your browser and computer
  • The search bar in IE is placed on an annoying spot: before the address bar
Did I forgot a reason or are these the only reasons why FWP and MySearch are evil? Of course, they need to make money, but I think they only make money out of the sponsored search results that are displayed when a user uses the MySearch bar to search the web.

#4 jedi

jedi

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:59 AM

I didn't say it's evil, that's a very subjective definition, I said it was garbage, i.e. rubbish, junk, crap, whatever. I quote from the article I linked to (did you read it?):

What FunWebProducts actually does - as do a lot of other adware and spyware products - is to make it difficult to uninstall the software as well as hijack your browser by setting your home page to point to other sites. Worse still, FunWebProducts attempts to reset the browser home page should you dare to try to change it.

The consequences of adware and spyware in Windows systems are serious and the more desktops you have to manage the worse it gets. These programs can cause browsers to perform slowly, can degrade overall system performance, and can damage Windows configurations. They can also cause other applications to misbehave.

This kind of software is generally poorly designed and foisted on unsophisticated users through advertising and promotion that is effectively deceptive about the true nature of the product. In short, it is shameful and deceitful.

Add to that, consider that it's targeted at children and adolescents primarily. What is there in all this that makes you want to defend it? It's not evil, it's sordid, money grubbing, deceptive, dishonest junk.
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#5 theCaptain

theCaptain

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:02 PM

Sorry I missed this one earlier. As the Director of Product Management for Ask Jeeves, I can clear up any confusion regarding these products. You're actually talking about 2 different products here. MyWebSearch toolbars (FunWebProducts) and MySearch. MySearch is a plain search toolbar. FunWebProducts (e.g. SmileyCentral.com) utilizes the MyWebSearch toolbar as its platform for delivering Smileys in a web environment (e.g. Webmail). Here is what we say about MyWebSearch Toolbars and spyware: http://helpint.myweb...otspyware.jhtml

Contrary to the information Jedi provided from the 2003 article, the toolbar is very easy to uninstall if you choose not to use it anymore. Using either Add/Remove programs or even within the toolbar itself, you can elect to uninstall. The rest of the quote appears to be a generalization regarding "this type of software" and not specifically addressing our product's attributes. Contrary to commonly held beliefs in the Anti-Spyware community, we absolutely do not target our advertising at children. Furthermore, the software won't significantly slow down your computer. The Search Assistant feature (sometimes called default search) is an optional feature that you can opt-out of or disable at any time. And the search box is configurable - you can place it left, right, or hide the toolbar entirely. And yes, you are right, we monetize through search and paid listings. Our incentive therefore is to create great products so that you keep the toolbar around and perform the occasional search. FunWebProducts, especially Smiley Central is NOT garbage. As a company, we believe we have the best Smileys on the planet. With over 1.5 million Smileys being sent every day, we think our user volume speaks volumes about the product we deliver. I invite you to check them out and see for yourself.

Posted Image

#6 jedi

jedi

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:49 AM

I would say this:
http://smiley.smiley...er=ZSYYYYYYYZGB
is very much targetting children. It is also deceptive advertising IMHO. What you basically have here is big bold color pictures of Smileys, lots of use of the word 'free', and a big 'click here' button. On top of that, when I tried to
click back to my origional search, I was redirected, i.e. hijacked, to MyWebSearch. I didn't ask to be, I didn't want to be, I didn't give my consent.

theCaptain

Obviously you want to defend your product, and have a vested interest in it, but I would not let my kid
anywhere near it, for the above reasons.
Also, although we encourage debate, you are coming very close to crossing the boundary between defending your product and advertising it. Please do not do so, I have no wish to edit your posts.
jedi

#7 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,573 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:11 AM

I can clear up any confusion regarding these products.

theCaptain,

In the numerous topics where you have appeared to comment on your products, you have yet to clear anything up... You stay to the party line for your products in spite of repeated evidence that they are intrusive and unwanted on most people's computers... You site numbers of installs which is meaningless in a program that uses stealth to install or comes bundled with other programs... Most people who keep those programs on their computers do so because they don't know how to get rid of them or because they may think they have to use them... Put out a truly honest program and you won't need to wander around defending it all over the web...

I also agree with jedi about the advertising... Cross that line and you will at least temporarily lose your privilege to post here...

El reteiPos,

If you want to use these products, feel free to do so... You have seen the arguments and you can decide for yourself...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#8 El reteiPos

El reteiPos

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:16 PM

On top of that, when I tried to
click back to my origional search, I was redirected, i.e. hijacked, to MyWebSearch. I didn't ask to be, I didn't want to be, I didn't give my consent.

So, it won't let you use Google.com anymore?

#9 jedi

jedi

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:05 PM

It hijacked my whole browser, so I couldn't click back out of it back to my origional Google search (I googled for SmileyCentral). The only way I could get out of the MyWebSearch page was to close my browser down completely, then re-open it. :hmmm:
jedi

#10 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:33 PM

Four days ago, I cleaned out the garbage left by FunWebProducts on a customer's computer, which would barely operate at all because of its top notch coding. Add to this that when the processes were removed from memory or the registry entries were deleted, these were restored immediately. If this isnt a trojan, I don't know what would be.
After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#11 El reteiPos

El reteiPos

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:46 AM

I just found this on DoxDesk.com:

What it does

Advertising
No. (The search results may contain advertising, but the toolbar itself does not generate any.)

Privacy violation
No.

Security issues
Usually, no. There is an update feature, but it prompts you before running code.

In some versions of the MyWeb variant, yes: it is installed by an ActiveX downloader control which stays around leaving a backdoor for future installation. In newer versions, this control does not remain.
Stability problems

None known.

So, according to DoxDesk there's nothing wrong with this toolbar except the fact it's unwanted by most people.

Edit: oops, I forgot a part:

An IE toolbar providing search features, and a homepage-/search-hijacker, targeted at the sites run by MyWay. (The same people as iWon.com, writers of the Aornum parasite.)

:(

Edited by El reteiPos, 30 January 2006 - 09:52 AM.

#12 xwray

xwray

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:58 PM

I just found this on DoxDesk.com:

What it does

Advertising
No. (The search results may contain advertising, but the toolbar itself does not generate any.)

Privacy violation
No.

Security issues
Usually, no. There is an update feature, but it prompts you before running code.

In some versions of the MyWeb variant, yes: it is installed by an ActiveX downloader control which stays around leaving a backdoor for future installation. In newer versions, this control does not remain.
Stability problems

None known.

So, according to DoxDesk there's nothing wrong with this toolbar except the fact it's unwanted by most people.

Edit: oops, I forgot a part:

An IE toolbar providing search features, and a homepage-/search-hijacker, targeted at the sites run by MyWay. (The same people as iWon.com, writers of the Aornum parasite.)

:(

Am I to assume you would have no problem with me walking up to your PC, pushing you aside, and changing it's configuration to something I prefer without your permission?

#13 WinHelp2002

WinHelp2002

Taking back the Internet

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,365 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:37 AM

AFAIK ... SmileyCentral has not been detected as "adware".
However it comes "bundled" with products that are detected ...
Posted Image
Posted Image

Captain perhaps you could convince the higher-ups that they should offer a seperate download of SmileyCentral ... to avoid the above. As you know a majority of the Anti-Spyware scanners also detect MyWebSearch in one way or the other. Either as "adware" or "Potentially Unwanted Program" ...
Mike
Former Microsoft MVP Posted Image 1999-2012
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"
Posted Image
Blocking Malware, Parasites, Hijackers, Trojans, http://www.mvps.org/...p2002/hosts.htm with a HOSTS file

#14 El reteiPos

El reteiPos

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:41 AM

Basically, MyWebSearch is NO adware. There are people who say it is because they just want an easy way to complain about the fact it sometimes gets on your PC unrequested.

By the way, I tested MyWebSearch and SmileyCentral today and I can confirm it DOESN'T hijack your homepage. (The error page "hack" can be turned off.)

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button