dialer.generic virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 benbecula

benbecula

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 06:44 AM

My computer runs Winows XP and Norton Internet Security is installed.A recent scan indicated I was infected with a dialer.generic virus on a C:\\Windows\system32\usbn.exe file.As insructed I hit the delete button but received a "delete failed " message .I tried to follow the instructions for manual deletion but couldn't find the file .The next couple of Norton scans threw up the dialer.generic virus warning and again deletion failed.I was away for a couple of days and on my return,the next time I ran Norton virus scan I was clear if the virus.
My question is--can this virus just disappear on its own---or is it lurking somewhere on my system where Norton can't reach it?
thanks

p.s. just for clarification,I did not click "exclude" on the Norton virus report so this is not the reason that the subsequent scan couldn't find it.

Edited by benbecula, 13 January 2006 - 07:09 AM.

#2 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 09:05 AM

Hi,

My question is--can this virus just disappear on its own---or is it lurking somewhere on my system where Norton can't reach it?

The answer is, no, and maybe. I suggest you post this question, along with a HiJackThis log, in the PC Troubleshooting forum. Norton may have removed this, but it may not. It's worth getting it checked.
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#3 benbecula

benbecula

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 09:54 AM

Hi,

The answer is, no, and maybe. I suggest you post this question, along with a HiJackThis log, in the PC Troubleshooting forum. Norton may have removed this, but it may not. It's worth getting it checked.

thanks --will follow your advice

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button