Is this a new virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mcsparky

mcsparky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 02:26 PM

Hi everyone! I ran across a problem yesterday with my nephew. He was having problems with his computer. Could not get AVG updates but was able to go to bitdefender and scan pc. Could not unintall AVG, said he did not have permission. He was logged in as administrator and checked the entries in registry to make sure full controll was given to admin. He said his pc was rebooting all night. Don't know for sure about that he lives in WA. and I live in MN. Gave him instructions to download and use uninstall feature in AVG program, reboot and reinstall and run full scan, remove anything found. He downloaded AVG installatio, successfully remove AVG and reinstalled AVG. Got updates and went to bed. Next day his pc was in safe mode. He said he never ran a scan or removed anything yet. Could not get it to come out of safe mode. gave him instructions to boot up with cd and do a repair. Could not boot from cd. Yes BIOS was set to boot from cd. when prompted to press any key to boot from cd he would press key and windows would start in safe mode. He tried is several time to make sure he wasn't just missing the optimal time. NO GO. Had to give instructions to clear the CMOS on the motherboard with Jumpers and than he could boot from cd. Has anyone heard of this happening? Is this a virus I didn't hear about??

#2 Fler

Fler

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:35 AM

Hi!
Yes. It looks like the new virus. Try to use super antivirus programm.

#3 Ultima

Ultima

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:05 PM

Oh this happened to me
i had to pay 80 for a new peice of my motherboard
you might want to get it repaired
either that or there's something missing in the motherboard

#4 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 07:41 PM

Since software is used to flash a BIOS, there would neem to be no impediment to including such in a piece of malware as the payload. Before assuming this has happened however, it would be advisible to have a competant PC tech have a look at it. You did include a lot of useful data from a t'shooting POV, but its not going to be possible to provide a definitive answer over the web. Someone needs to actually physically be there on this one I'm afraid.
After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button