Linux + Windows emulator = Safe?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Octavarium

Octavarium

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:22 PM

Okay. We all know that Windows Vista is coming out pretty soon. But obviously, because it's Windows, it won't be the most secure thing ever made. Sure it will be for one or two months, but not long after that.

Sometime in 2007, maybe, I'm thinking I might want to buy some form of Linux. However, I am VERY into gaming, and it's pretty well known that most games aren't made, or even supported by, Linux. Of course though, Linux is way safer.

I'm thinking of combining the best of both worlds and getting Linux with a Windows emulator. (I'm not sure about the legality of this - if anyone wants to inform me on the situation, please do, I just know my dad used to do it) Now, I know because it's an emulator you might as well throw out anything about stability, etc. But will it be as safe, because it's still running Linux? If you get a bad spyware infection, will it still run on the emulator and you get equally screwed?

What I'm really asking is if it's worth it to get Linux and the emulator for Windows (XP or Vista). I really want the extra security, and I'm good enough with computers to figure out how to do it. Also, if there are any other ways to play Windows-only games, please tell me. Note that I don't want CD cracks, I would like to have a program that lets me play them. Thanks.

#2 chrono_trigger666

chrono_trigger666

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:31 AM

Okay. We all know that Windows Vista is coming out pretty soon. But obviously, because it's Windows, it won't be the most secure thing ever made. Sure it will be for one or two months, but not long after that.

Sometime in 2007, maybe, I'm thinking I might want to buy some form of Linux. However, I am VERY into gaming, and it's pretty well known that most games aren't made, or even supported by, Linux. Of course though, Linux is way safer.

I'm thinking of combining the best of both worlds and getting Linux with a Windows emulator. (I'm not sure about the legality of this - if anyone wants to inform me on the situation, please do, I just know my dad used to do it) Now, I know because it's an emulator you might as well throw out anything about stability, etc. But will it be as safe, because it's still running Linux? If you get a bad spyware infection, will it still run on the emulator and you get equally screwed?

What I'm really asking is if it's worth it to get Linux and the emulator for Windows (XP or Vista). I really want the extra security, and I'm good enough with computers to figure out how to do it. Also, if there are any other ways to play Windows-only games, please tell me. Note that I don't want CD cracks, I would like to have a program that lets me play them. Thanks.

If you just want to play games which are only available in Windows in a Linux environment, you can use cedega. I use it to play Warcraft 3. there is not much difference. :)

#3 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:39 PM

Another way is to use a dual- boot installation, and only use Linux for accessin the web. Without a net connection, Windows will be quite secure!
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button