• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Calicoo

Calicoo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:17 PM

I'm in need of a firewall and these two seem to be the favorite, so I wanted to get pros/cons of each and hopefully some insight into which one is better.

#2 chiaz

chiaz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:14 PM

I saw similar threads elsewhere:
http://www.tweaktown...ead.php?t=17511
http://www.techsuppo...e-vote-now.html

Personally I use ZoneAlarm, but on the other hand there are a few bugs in version 6. So if you do choose ZoneAlarm I would advice you to download version 5.5. If you can't find the 5.5 download link, just ask. :)

#3 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,573 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:46 PM

ZoneAlarm has become a bloated mess... Sygate has been purchased by Symantec which is planning to discontinue it...

Better options: Kerio from Sunbelt or Outpost...

If you use the Search function, you will find several other topics and a few polls that have asked the same questions...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#4 YaB

YaB

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:23 PM

I saw similar threads elsewhere:
http://www.tweaktown...ead.php?t=17511
http://www.techsuppo...e-vote-now.html

Personally I use ZoneAlarm, but on the other hand there are a few bugs in version 6. So if you do choose ZoneAlarm I would advice you to download version 5.5. If you can't find the 5.5 download link, just ask. :)

I looked through the websites that were posted and most of them said zone alarm (I choose Zone Alarm since i've been using for couple years now). I didn't even know that there were bugs in version 6. What kind of bugs were there on zone alarm?

#5 radeon

radeon

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 02:27 AM

yup eversince sygate got owned by the bloatware norton, outpost has been the best alternative.

#6 josbd

josbd

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:46 PM

Sygate firewalls are superb. I was pretty hacked off when Norton took over Sygate, and immediately killed off the freeware version. I should imagine that they will have to continue to support the Pro version, since people have paid for it. I am hanging on to mine until it proves unstable in someway, but since Firewalls rarely change (and I have had my version since 2000) there shouldn't be much to worry about.

Sygate, in my opinion anyway, is by far the best at completely cloaking a pc. When my ISP wanted to ping me a while back, they couldn't see my pc, so I had to switch the firewall off!

I really hate Norton for taking just about the best firewall there is off the market, simply so they can flog their crap bloatware to more unsuspecting users.

Shame on them! :rant:

Edited by josbd, 19 March 2006 - 12:47 PM.

#7 mastermind1022

mastermind1022

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 07:18 PM

One complaint I have with zonealarm is that sometimes it will deny a connect from one of my home computers to another. If I map a network drive on my sons computer and tell it to reconnect at login it seems like everything is fine until you drive to access the drive. If I turn off zonealarm and reconnect the drive map it's fine again. I even entered my sons IP address into zonealard and tried to grant that IP all the permissions but still a no go. I'm thinking of switching if this keeps up.
Sweet!

#8 Bmwboy

Bmwboy

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 01:26 PM

I would have to say Sygate.
I also agree that Norton is bloated crap, it hogs RAM, and has the slowest scan ever on AV.

#9 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,573 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:32 PM

Sygate is now owned by the same people who bring you Norton and will soon be joining the dodo in extinction, if it is not already gone... :gasp:
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#10 Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:36 PM

Free Sygate version 5.6 is still being hosted at Simtel for download:

http://www.simtel.ne...rs.php?id=53687

#11 MrTamborineMan

MrTamborineMan

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 02:42 AM

Zone Alarm for me. Forever stealthed. Never a problem with it. Set it and forget it. :D

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button