Avast Home Edition AV and Zone Alarm Firewall

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MacDaddy

MacDaddy

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 04:11 PM

Recently I have been thinking of trying Avast's Home (Free) AV, however have a concern about possible conflicts with the Zone Alarm (Free) firewall, which I have heard mutted about the web. Can anyone shed any light on if there is a known conflict between these two applications, or even provide a link with the relevant information.

Does any one have experience of running Avast along side Zone Alarm? I would be interested in hearing your comments.

Also does Avast provide the function to remove attachments with certain extensions from e-mails in Microsoft Outlook?

Comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mac

#2 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:20 PM

I do, but the AV isn't resident (scanner only). Also, I have stuck with what works: ZA 2.6. Best way to found out if stuff works is to do it yourself, since no two systems are alike, and blindly believing others is just asking to get misled.

Just my opinion, and perhaps a bit off-topic, but it seems to me that this whole business about "best product" could be one of the bigger ruses in the puter industry. Seems to me that _best practices_ is the better criterion to go by, but of course that takes an effort on the part of the user to test and evaluate what works and what doesn't, tailored to an individual's need.
After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#3 MacDaddy

MacDaddy

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:43 AM

I do, but the AV isn't resident (scanner only). Also, I have stuck with what works: ZA 2.6. Best way to found out if stuff works is to do it yourself, since no two systems are alike, and blindly believing others is just asking to get misled.

Just my opinion, and perhaps a bit off-topic, but it seems to me that this whole business about "best product" could be one of the bigger ruses in the puter industry. Seems to me that _best practices_ is the better criterion to go by, but of course that takes an effort on the part of the user to test and evaluate what works and what doesn't, tailored to an individual's need.

Thanks for your comments hornet777.

What I am specifically looking for is an actual webpage that explains what the possible conflicts that I have heard about are; that is if such webpages exist. Or is it a case of this conflict between Avast and Zone Alarm is just a figment of my imagination!

Mac

#4 YaB

YaB

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:58 PM

Thanks for your comments hornet777.

What I am specifically looking for is an actual webpage that explains what the possible conflicts that I have heard about are; that is if such webpages exist. Or is it a case of this conflict between Avast and Zone Alarm is just a figment of my imagination!

Mac

I use both Avast and Zone Alarm, although i've never heard anything about avast and zone alarm conflicting each other...I don't see anything wrong using both of them.

#5 Rebel_Mk

Rebel_Mk

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:32 AM

I know this thread is old but still I hope my comment will be useful.

I use Avast Home Edition with ZoneAlarm Free for about 2 years and so far haven't experienced any conflicts. The only thing I noticed is that ZoneAlarm does not detect Avast as being an antivirus (in the antivirus monitoring option of ZA). Other than that, everything is working fine and I haven't had any major problems with my pc. I should mention that I also use Spybot Search & Destroy 1.5. I run it occasionally and so far it has found and easily got rid of minor spyware. It has resident registry protector which similarly to ZA, for every change in the registry it asks for permission from the user.

To conclude, in my own personal opinion this combination (Avast Home, ZoneAlarm Free, Spybot S&D) is one of the best free solutions for PC security.

Edited by Rebel_Mk, 24 September 2007 - 03:02 AM.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button