Can someone look into this for me?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 randomkookie

randomkookie

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 05:01 AM

Hello. I hope I am posting in the right spot; I have already stopped by the faqs threads in this forum fyi.

Very frequently I recieve a pop-up window regarding something called moviepass.tv; it says that I have downloaded a subscription to its services and that my trial has expired. It also says that the only way to get rid of the pop ups that will appear more frequently as reminders to pay for this service, is to..pay for it. When I go to the site it links me to on the pop up (it plays a short introduction and also provides links to put personal billing info in)

here is the link to the main site: http://www.moviepass.tv/ (dont download it!! lol)

Their customer service link does not work for me...

It's not a regular pop-up ad, I'm pretty sure of that. There is a possibility that someone had originally clicked on an ad and accidentally subscribed to this service from my computer I suppose. Can someone tell me if this is spyware? I can't find a program to uninstall for it...

Sorry again If I am out of line with this post here. :wtf:

Thanks,
randomkookie ^^

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:45 AM

See if you can uninstall it via Control Panel, Add/Remove programs.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 jw50

jw50

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,969 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:31 PM

Also look for MediaPipe, P2PNetworks, ItBill, and MsMovies.

It would also be a good idea for you to run HijackThis and post a log in Malware Removal.

#4 WinHelp2002

WinHelp2002

Taking back the Internet

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,365 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 03:56 AM

jw50,
Yup that's "MediaPipe"

MoviePass welcomes you! MoviePass offers an application known as MediaPipe (the 'Software') via the Website: Moviepass.tv.
http://www.moviepass.tv/terms.html

Adware-Fuel
http://vil.mcafeesec...nt/v_122344.htm

From my HOSTS file:
# [Longview Media][ExitFuel]
127.0.0.1  404errorpage.com #[IE-SpyAd]
127.0.0.1  www.404errorpage.com
127.0.0.1  track.bigbanners.com #[IE-SpyAd]
127.0.0.1  bigclicks.com
127.0.0.1  search.bigclicks.com
127.0.0.1  www.bigclicks.com
127.0.0.1  www.dvdgiveaway.net
127.0.0.1  link.exitdirect.com
127.0.0.1  www.exitdirect.com
127.0.0.1  exitfuel.com #[eTrust.ExitFuel]
127.0.0.1  ifcol.exitfuel.com #[Tenebril.Tracking Cookie]
127.0.0.1  join.exitfuel.com #[SpySweeper.Spy.Cookie]
127.0.0.1  nitrous.exitfuel.com #[SunBelt.ExitFuel.com]
127.0.0.1  www.exitfuel.com
127.0.0.1  gohip.com #[McAfee.Gohip Freevideo]
127.0.0.1  dev.gohip.com
127.0.0.1  foundry.gohip.com
127.0.0.1  previewstage.gohip.com
127.0.0.1  search.gohip.com
127.0.0.1  stage.gohip.com
127.0.0.1  stats.gohip.com
127.0.0.1  wmservera.gohip.com
127.0.0.1  www.gohip.com #[eTrust.Browser Enhancement]
127.0.0.1  www.homelandnetwork.com #[SunBelt.Homeland Network]
127.0.0.1  internetfuel.com
127.0.0.1  addev.internetfuel.com
127.0.0.1  ads.internetfuel.com #[SunBelt.InternetFuel.com]
127.0.0.1  adserv.internetfuel.com
127.0.0.1  adserv1.internetfuel.com
127.0.0.1  adserv2.internetfuel.com #[Tenebril.Tracking Cookie]
127.0.0.1  adserv3.internetfuel.com
127.0.0.1  adserv4.internetfuel.com
127.0.0.1  adserv5.internetfuel.com #[eTrust.Tracking Cookie]
127.0.0.1  adserv6.internetfuel.com
127.0.0.1  banserv.internetfuel.com
127.0.0.1  banserver.internetfuel.com
127.0.0.1  download.internetfuel.com
127.0.0.1  turbo.internetfuel.com
127.0.0.1  search.netbroadcaster.com
127.0.0.1  www6.netbroadcaster.com #[IE-SpyAd]
127.0.0.1  www.netbroadcaster.com #[HJTH.NetBroadCaster/MovieNetworks]
127.0.0.1  www.nohip.com
127.0.0.1  searchfuel.com
127.0.0.1  search.searchfuel.com
127.0.0.1  wwwdev.searchfuel.com
127.0.0.1  search.winnings.com
# [Longview Media via AccessMedia Software]
127.0.0.1  download.accessmedia.tv
127.0.0.1  images.accessmedia.tv
127.0.0.1  staging.accessmedia.tv
127.0.0.1  www.accessmedia.tv
127.0.0.1  www.mediacaster.net #[Adware.MovieLand/MediaPipe]
127.0.0.1  www.movieland.com #[Fortinet.Adware/Fuel][McAfee.Adware-Fuel]
127.0.0.1  members.moviepass.tv
127.0.0.1  www.moviepass.tv
127.0.0.1  ads.vitalix.net #[images.accessmedia.tv]

Mike
Former Microsoft MVP Posted Image 1999-2012
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"
Posted Image
Blocking Malware, Parasites, Hijackers, Trojans, http://www.mvps.org/...p2002/hosts.htm with a HOSTS file

#5 cutesavvy8

cutesavvy8

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 02:49 PM

oh my god...when I found this I nearly cried out for joy! We've been constantly getting that movie pass thing popping up on us...and we don't even know how that happened....does anyone know how it gets started? I was just wondering because I did everything you guys said right away..now I'm just waiting to see what happens. if it will pop up or not...if it doesn't Thank you so much guys!!! I love you all so much!!!

#6 cutesavvy8

cutesavvy8

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:53 PM

oh my god...when I found this I nearly cried out for joy! We've been constantly getting that movie pass thing popping up on us...and we don't even know how that happened....does anyone know how it gets started? I was just wondering because I did everything you guys said right away..now I'm just waiting to see what happens. if it will pop up or not...if it doesn't Thank you so much guys!!! I love you all so much!!!

It won't work for me now. Like for a while I thought it had worked but it's still coming up....can someone please help me....it just wont go away!!!

#7 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:53 PM

cutesavvy8

It would also be a good idea for you to run HijackThis and post a log in Malware Removal.

The same applies to you. Add an explanation of your problem and link back to this thread too.
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#8 tjcampos04

tjcampos04

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 10:13 PM

:hmmm: We had this problem too, we spent three days with the darn thing everytime we got onto the internet it would pop up, we NEVER downloaded it and they said "oh yes you did, its a four step process and it has to be done from your computer." My responce, "well I guess my 1 month old son did it because my husband or I didn't eathier the baby or the dog."

But anyway getting to the point my husband found a thing called "notifier (with a few numbers) " after hitting ctrl Alt Delete, he then went under the control panel, found it there and deleted it there since then we haven't had any problems. However, just to make sure, I deleted all of the cookies, all of the temporary internet files and found a document under "Downloaded Files" that said Moviepass.tv so I deleted that too. Its only been a few hours for us but its worked so far!!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!! :wave:

Edited by tjcampos04, 17 March 2006 - 10:15 PM.

#9 K123

K123

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:02 PM

Companies like moviepass are very good at sneaking their software onto your computer without you knowing it. They generally 'piggy back' on something else you are downloading, sometimes with a one line statement on page 37 of the download agreement that no one reads. Most reputable companies give you a simple way to cancel, the sleezier companies do not.

If you go to http://www.vcn.com/k...icle.php?id=422 there are very good instructions on how to get rid of moviepass, identiying all of the files that have been added to your system, and how to get rid of them.

#10 doc whats up

doc whats up

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:00 PM

its really hard to trust free softwares ... they give you for free, they take something from you silently ..

#11 joe driver

joe driver

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 05:58 PM

It won't work for me now. Like for a while I thought it had worked but it's still coming up....can someone please help me....it just wont go away!!!

What about using System Restore to a point before it said you signed up for the 3 day trial? I saw another post where some guy said he had tried that, and it worked for him. Seems to me, if it was that easy, everybody would just be doing that. I've got this moviepass.tv crap on my pc, and am wondering how to get rid of it. Anybody know? :)

#12 cutesavvy8

cutesavvy8

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 02:01 PM

What about using System Restore to a point before it said you signed up for the 3 day trial? I saw another post where some guy said he had tried that, and it worked for him. Seems to me, if it was that easy, everybody would just be doing that. I've got this moviepass.tv crap on my pc, and am wondering how to get rid of it. Anybody know? :)

Well It's gone for good!!!! I found a couple other websites talking about it and I did everything everybody said to do on here and other places and it worked. I did a lot of virus scans and spam scans and spyware scans. I think I did like scans for antyhing you could actually scan for lol....well thanks guys and I wrote to Joe Driver telling him what I did...I hope it works for him. If only there was a way to get rid of the people at moviepass. You know I never did figure out how moviepass got on the comp. Does anyone know. because I'm really curious.....

#13 TrevorB

TrevorB

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:51 AM

I've been doing some research into Moviepass, I'll try and answer some of the points above.

RANDOMKOOKIE: You're right about the pop-ups becoming more frequent and the reason you can't get through to customer services is because you need to be a subscriber (nice trick). It's not a regular pop-up in that it's coming from a program installed on your computer. As far as I can tell it's not spyware or adware - it's an unwanted program which demands money off you.

CNM: There's several programs, only one can be deleted from Add/Remove Programs. There's also a few files that it installs.

CUTESAVVY8: It seems to be a program that unscrupulously installs itself on a users computer when the play certain video or music clips. I'm guessing that on certain wepages there's what appears to be a regular link to listen or watch but that Moviepass is installed as well.

TJCAMPOS04: Sounds like you got rid of most of the files, there's probably some others remaining. See 'Removing Moviepass' below.

JOE DRIVER & CUTESAVVY8: A couple of people have been in touch with me saying they tried System Restore and it didn't work for them - glad it did for you though. Someone else told me that Moviepass writes itself into the System Restore.

TO REMOVE MOVIEPASS FROM YOUR COPMPUTER

I've put together some step by step instructions ... http://profend.com/a.../moviepass.html which I hope will help. What would be great is if anyone could give me feedback - I'm trying to pout together a definitive guide to removing Moviepass so any comments would be much appreciated.

#14 tschrock

tschrock

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 05:59 PM

Before you go after this threat with both barrels, there are some things you need to know...

There is a nifty little scam going on where unsuspecting consumers install MediaPass software on their computer hoping to download music and video files. Except when they agree to install the software, they are also agreeing to allow MoviePass to use their computer's hard drive and internet connection bandwidth for their purposes. Oh, and they also make you agree that they can sell your personal information to their affiliates - of course.

With that aside, when you install the MoviePass software, you are installing a free trial. Again, in that nasty little terms of service agreement you agree that if you do not cancel your trial BEFORE it expires, that you will pay them $29.99 a month for their service. Once the trial expires, a box will start popping up on your screen, increasing in frequency over time, asking you for your billing information.

If you remove the software and just forget about it, you are caught in yet another clause in their TOS that states that if you do not immediately provide your billing information, they will bill you for an entire year of service (a $359.88 tab) and then turn you over to a collection agency.

The only way to stop this cycle (easily) is to cancel your subscription immediately unless you intent to subscribe to their services. To do this you MUST call their toll-free number.

After all of that I have to say it is pretty crappy that this scam is actually working on people. If you have any influence over the general public (or at least your local LAN), let people know about this shady operation.

Most importantly, DO NOT remove the MoviePass software before you call to cancel the account they have open for you (yes, if you have the MoviePass pop-ups, they have an account for you). They will require a number from their software to deactivate your account. Once you have killed your account, you can remove their software to stop those annoying pop-ups. For a free tutorial on removing MoviePass (after you cancel your account) visit http://www.schrockin...vemoviepass.php.

We have sent a press release to our local media outlets and made it available on our homepage. If you want more info on MoviePass or the MediaPipe software, visit www.moviepass.tv.

#15 swords

swords

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 08:20 PM

I'm probably late but o well

go here & download:

http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

Then install it, DO NOT scan yet! Reboot your pc & tap f8 & start in Safe Mode ... Run ewido& scan your system & never see that popup again! Used this method recently & it worked like a charm!

#16 smithy1979

smithy1979

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:14 PM

OK I am in the same boat here. Can someone tell me how MoviePass can bill me if the only thing they have is a computer ID with no other personal information whatsoever.

I just want to check whether it is worth calling their customer service number to cancel the account especially I am in Australia.

Thanks

#17 tschrock

tschrock

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:11 PM

Moviepass has changed their cancellation terms and this is causing some people some difficulty in cancelling their accounts.

Their toll-free number has been removed from their website and there is now a web page you must visit to cancel your MoviePass account. If you attempt to visit the website from a computer that is not infected, you will be told that you do not have access to the members area.

If you are infected, you will see a screen that tells you you must pay money to cancel your account.

Remember not to give any additional personal information to these crooks if they ask for it. If they don't already have it they can't bill you! Don't bother calling them or giving them the satisfaction of a web hit. Just remove MoviePass and be done with it.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button