Norton Anti-Virus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 YaB

YaB

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 06:36 PM

I work at a Real estate place as IT and for the past couple months we have found viruses infecting our agent's computers (by MRTG). Long story short, most agents have Norton Anti-Virus protection, but the program didn't pick anything up until I ran Mcafee's Stinger which found 29 viruses on one of the agents computers.

Another agent, had the same program and found at least 10 different viruses on the computer (all the other computers weren't infected because they had Avast. Most agents are telling us that they have been updating their Norton Anti-Virus (we're not for sure if they did or not...).

Any opinions of Norton Anti-Virus? Personally, I like to use Avast, but is Norton Anti-Virus even worth it? :wtf:

#2 teacup61

teacup61

RIP

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 06:48 PM

I went through the same thing with Norton. I now use Avast!, and along with a few other protection programs (all free), I've been problem free for a long time. So, no I don't think Norton is worth it. It's also a resource hog. Go with your instincts. :D
My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 YaB

YaB

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 08:00 PM

Thanks for your comment teacup! Norton has just been buggin me for quite sometime and I wanted to see if there were other people that share the same concern as I do.

#4 tsitraveler

tsitraveler

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:59 AM

A bit late, but here goes.

My brother is a network tech. His bread and butter are small businesses and SOHOs. He also cleans a lot of infections from personal-use home machines.

Norton is a major source of revenue for him. The performance hit on a system is pretty large, and on top of it, Norton gets corrupted by malware pretty regularly. Due to the way Norton integrates into the OS, any malware that gets past it can use it to further compromise data, data integrity, system operations, etc.

He walked me through a clean-up (over the phone) of a friend's corrupted XP system, and at the end, I installed Nod32 by Eset.

No, Norton isn't worth it. Neither is Symantec corporate edition.

Nod32 by Eset has years of perfect in-the-wild test results. Its heuristic scanning engine is mature, fast, doesn't hog resources. It also catches viruses and trojans that haven't been seen before.

Remember the recent WMF exploit? Nod32 users were completely protected from it - without a signature update.

As for Rootkit protection, I use ProcessGuard.

HTH

Edited by tsitraveler, 13 March 2006 - 11:02 AM.

#5 ValJP

ValJP

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:06 AM

I used to buy into the whole Norton idea.

I had seen lots of systems run horribly slow/poorly with mcaffe.
After 2004~ version of Norton, Norton began to sort of act like Mcaffe.... becoming really slow and bulky.
I can't personally recommend it to anyone anymore. I haven't tried Avast or Nod32... but I run AVG without issue so far.
Norton is starting to require as much processing power and RAM as XP itself.... hence my distaste for it.

Norton and mcaffe are still ok virus scanners... but for me they are too bulky, take too long to install/integrate.... take over too much of the computer.. similar to AOL.... and generally do a poor job.

Norton becoming AOL?..... who would have thought.

#6 Blink

Blink

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:08 PM

Norten is loosing it'stouch our days. It used to be the biggest but now people are finding it is bad because of it's over-protectivness.

There are alot of anti-virus's out there and alot of freeware you can download from the conveniance at home, that does the same job as norten which costs alot.

Regards,
Blink
IPB Image

#7 YaB

YaB

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:56 AM

A bit late, but here goes.

My brother is a network tech. His bread and butter are small businesses and SOHOs. He also cleans a lot of infections from personal-use home machines.

Norton is a major source of revenue for him. The performance hit on a system is pretty large, and on top of it, Norton gets corrupted by malware pretty regularly. Due to the way Norton integrates into the OS, any malware that gets past it can use it to further compromise data, data integrity, system operations, etc.

He walked me through a clean-up (over the phone) of a friend's corrupted XP system, and at the end, I installed Nod32 by Eset.

No, Norton isn't worth it. Neither is Symantec corporate edition.

Nod32 by Eset has years of perfect in-the-wild test results. Its heuristic scanning engine is mature, fast, doesn't hog resources. It also catches viruses and trojans that haven't been seen before.

Remember the recent WMF exploit? Nod32 users were completely protected from it - without a signature update.

As for Rootkit protection, I use ProcessGuard.

HTH

Thanks for the comment, I downloaded Process Guard, do you have the full version of Process Guard?

#8 tsitraveler

tsitraveler

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:45 PM

Registered multi-machine license, yes.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button