Child Control

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Spy_Dad

Spy_Dad

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 02:33 AM

For antispyware i use Spybot, Ad-Aware and EWIDO. Regular sweeps only ever turn up the odd tracking cookie. So i'm sure my PC is infection free. I also have Trend Micro PC-cillin for antivirus. I have had Child Control software on my PC for a year now and no problems. Salfield the makers sent me an email to upgrade the software to the latest version. I did this and all is working fine. The tips said that WinSvr.exe must not be blocked if I wished the Internet monitoring tool to work. Being somewhat nosey and warey I did a search on WinSvr.exe. All web pages visited suggest WinSvr.exe is a Trojan and that Salfield make it :gasp: Can anyone give me the full low down on this. I do not wish to remove Child Control as it is a useful tool which keeps my kids PC usage to a good level and logs them off automatically when required (no arguments :D ) I can also see which sites they've been visiting, which in this day an age gives me peace of mind even if it is a little sneaky!
Interestingly enough PC-cillin's spyware scan lists: SPYW_CHILDCO.653 as a problem but EWIDO, Spybot and Ad-Aware give no result.

Any info greatly received.

#2 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 04:28 AM

WinSvr.exe is a ligit part of Child Control, but it exibits trojan-like behaviour therefore gets flagged up as a trojan. I guess whether you consider it a trojan depends on whether you are the person using the program, or someone being monitored by the program (not all monitoring programs are used for the purposes they were reputedly designed for). Note if you Google it some of the hits say 'unknown trojan', as it is being picked up as monitoring software, therefore potentially malicious.
In your case, as you installed the program and are monitoring a minor for whom you have parental responsibility, then no, it is not a trojan. It is not intrinsically harmful. Hope this helps.

jedi
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#3 Spy_Dad

Spy_Dad

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 06:05 AM

Thanks for that - puts my mind at ease. What you're saying makes perfect sense, should have thought that myself!
It was alarming when i Googled it!

Edited by Spy_Dad, 19 March 2006 - 06:12 AM.

#4 jedi

jedi

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 06:39 AM

You're welcome. :D
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#5 LneWlf

LneWlf

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 07:53 PM

Hey was just wondering if anyone knows how to remove Child Control, heres my sit:

I have Limited Users account, access to control panel, but no password for Child Control.

Basically my mom went crazy with it, and i get about 30 mins a day on the comp (UNREALISTIC).

Thx,

LneWlf

#6 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,540 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:22 PM

Hey was just wondering if anyone knows how to remove Child Control, heres my sit:

I have Limited Users account, access to control panel, but no password for Child Control.

Basically my mom went crazy with it, and i get about 30 mins a day on the comp (UNREALISTIC).

Thx,

LneWlf

Sorry, we do not help kids get around their parents... I suggest you talk with your mom and demonstrate you can be trusted if you want more time...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#7 LneWlf

LneWlf

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:14 AM

Yes....problem is everytime i talk to her, she simply locks it down more. For example: I now have 15 minutes a day on games....Please explain how I'm supposed to do anything but open the game within 15 minutes? Soon i'm just not going to have a computer.

Well, Thx anyways.

LneWlf

#8 teacup61

teacup61

RIP

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:11 PM

Consider yourself lucky. I have a son who is banned from all the computers in the house all together for a year. :)
My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,815 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:48 PM

Yes....problem is everytime i talk to her, she simply locks it down more. For example: I now have 15 minutes a day on games....Please explain how I'm supposed to do anything but open the game within 15 minutes? Soon i'm just not going to have a computer.

Well, Thx anyways.

LneWlf

Well did you do anything to deserve this "punishment"? If so, that's your problem, and you should take responsibility for your actions and show your mother that you're deserving of more time. If not, well... I don't know what to tell you ><

Trust me, I know what you're feeling... When I was a bit younger, I had my computer privileges revoked on a number of occasions for seemingly pointless reasons. And while they didn't use "Child Control" or other software (doubtful that they even knew how >< ), their methods of enforcement were quite irrational as well :hmmm:

Anyways... enough of the lame part of my autobiography.

Two suggestions:

1) As I mentioned previously, take responsibility for your actions, and show your mother that you're deserving of more time.

2) Show less dependency on your computer for now. Unless you got this shortness of time for something specifically computer-related, she's only taking away time because it's something meaningful to you. Why would she take it away if she knows you don't care about it?

If that made any sense... let me know... sickness + attempt at making rational thought = disaster waiting to happen :lol:

Consider yourself lucky. I have a son who is banned from all the computers in the house all together for a year. :)

:rofl:

What could he have done to deserve that!?!

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

#10 teacup61

teacup61

RIP

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:14 PM

What could he have done to deserve that!?!

He broke school rules and created an email account on the school computer and gave personal info to a girl who lives half the state away and never met. He was also banned for the school year from their computers and sent to alternate campus for 30 days.
My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 jedi

jedi

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:40 PM

Sounds fair enough to me. One question tea, what does this mean?

sent to alternate campus for 30 days.

jedi

#12 teacup61

teacup61

RIP

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:16 PM

It means he was expelled from regular school campus and sent to what you might call an "isolation" campus. Noone is allowed to talk without permission, you can bring nothing in with you and if you do they take it away, even a pencil. You are not allowed to go near any school activity, like football games, during this time. you are not allowed to ride the bus to or from school; a parent has to bring you. It cannot be another student. You do your school classes, period.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 jedi

jedi

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:40 PM

That's another entry for the English > American English dictionary.
We don't really have an equivalent over here, there are Learning Support Units for, and I quote " pupils who are disaffected, at risk of exclusion or vulnerable because of family or social issues. They provide short-term teaching and support programmes tailored to the needs to pupils who need help in improving their behaviour, attendance or attitude to learning. The aim is to keep pupils in school and working while their problems are addressed, and to help to reintegrate them back into mainstream classes as quickly as possible", but as it says, these are attached to the school.
I kind of like the "isolation" campus idea, I would imagine it makes the point very well.
Thank you very much for the info. :)
jedi

#14 teacup61

teacup61

RIP

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:04 PM

You're welcome. :) Actually the way the alternate campus is structured, some students find it easier to focus there, rather than the chaos that makes up the high school crowd. High school being the upper grades, 9 through 12.....I know it isn't called the same there. It does get the point across to most kids.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button