SpyFalcon

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CoastieJoe

CoastieJoe

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:11 PM

I think this post I left on their "Support" page this afternoon describes it all.
-----
Hi. I'm sick of your fraudulent advertising sitting on my computer and reinstalling itself every time I run the "uninstall" program. I want it gone for good, no trace of files, processes, registry entries, control panels, shortcuts, or subnotes in my Windows settings.

You are masquerading as at least two Microsoft processes running in the background, in addition to two Tray icons, one of which pretends to be the Windows Updater and one of which pretends to be a Windows security alert. You have added three false Control Panels, which exist for nothing but to redirect me to your website. The list of supposed spyware that pops up when I click the icons bears no correlation to either the processes I am running or the spyware found by legitimate programs such as Adaware or Spybot. Your claim to be the number one spyware removal tool is flat-out unsubstantiated, not even close to true, and has no support in the lists by PC Magazine, CNET, ZDNet, or any of the other great resources I've read from. You are attempting to get me to pay money for a product which is ITSELF spyware, in a fraudulent attempt to clean my computer. What you're doing is illegal under the Truth in Advertising Act, but I'd rather be rid of you for good than actually take you to court.
-----
Update on whether I ever hear back from them later. Suing them might be difficult without US government involvement and international pressure, considering they claim to be based out of Cyprus. I doubt that claim somewhat, because they have a plain old vanilla .com address and don't have the usual bizarre English found in foreign fraud companies. They probably at least have somebody responsible in the U.S.

#2 Nick

Nick

SWI Junkie

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 05:43 AM

I wouldn't trust anything on their site or from them. There are some ways to report these fraudulent programs. I have a post on report an older version of the same type of scam, SpyAxe, here. That tells you how to report scams to the Federal Trade Commission. The FTC has shut down and fined other spyware makers, like Spyware Assassin.

There is also a new site staffed by many members from most of the security sites that is a place to report scams like this. It's called Malware Complaints. If enough people register complaints, then it will help to stop scams like SpyAxe, SpywareStrike, SpyFalcon, and SpywareQuake.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button