• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Soul

Soul

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 02:36 AM

Hi all,

I've had McCaffee Virusscan and firewall installed for a while, my PC has been running slowly and i've fully checked for spyware - none is showing up.

I regularly scan my PC with McCaffee and it comes out clean so i tried the online version of Kapersky virus scan, these are the result's:

Scan Statistics
Total number of scanned objects 117049
Number of viruses found 3
Number of infected objects 11
Number of suspicious objects 0
Duration of the scan process 01:52:48

Infected Object Name Virus Name Last Action
C:\Documents and Settings\Andy\Desktop\Un-used Desktop Icons\ccsetup121.exe/stream/data0006 Infected: not-a-virus:RiskTool.Win32.PsKill.n skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Andy\Desktop\Un-used Desktop Icons\ccsetup121.exe/stream Infected: not-a-virus:RiskTool.Win32.PsKill.n skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Andy\Desktop\Un-used Desktop Icons\ccsetup121.exe NSIS: infected - 2 skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Andy\Desktop\Un-used Desktop Icons\mirc616.exe/data0001.bin Infected: not-a-virus:Client-IRC.Win32.mIRC.616 skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Andy\Desktop\Un-used Desktop Icons\mirc616.exe mIRC: infected - 1 skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Andy\Desktop\Un-used Desktop Icons\Smilys\OldMirc\mirc32.exe Infected: not-a-virus:Client-IRC.Win32.mIRC.591 skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Andy\My Documents\My Received Files\OldMirc.zip/OldMirc/mirc32.exe Infected: not-a-virus:Client-IRC.Win32.mIRC.591 skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Andy\My Documents\My Received Files\OldMirc.zip ZIP: infected - 1 skipped
C:\Program Files\Flock\uninst.exe/data0003 Infected: not-a-virus:RiskTool.Win32.PsKill.n skipped
C:\Program Files\Flock\uninst.exe NSIS: infected - 1 skipped
C:\Program Files\mIRC\mirc.exe Infected: not-a-virus:Client-IRC.Win32.mIRC.616 skipped
Scan process completed.

I then uninstalled all McCaffee product's and downloaded the trial version of Kapersky, i fully updated it and scanned my whole PC. However it now show's as being clean, not one virus found!@?

Can anyone please explain this?

Many thank's,

Soul.

#2 rve123

rve123

• Security Colleague
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:59 AM

Most of the the infections are found as "not-a-virus"
A suspicious file, but not a real infection

Some files are detected as infected but they have been skipped.

Take a look at the Options of KasperSky (the one installed on your computer). It is Probably an option to detect suspicious files.

Edited by rve123, 06 April 2006 - 09:00 AM.

#3 Soul

Soul

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 01:51 AM

Many thank's for your reply, do you recommend i stick with Kapersky now or can you suggest an equally good (free) virus and firewall package? :rolleyes:

#4 rve123

rve123

• Security Colleague
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:05 AM

KasperSky isn't an bad virusscanner.

It is your own choise if you want to pay for a virusscanner and a firewall.
I use free software (AVG Free en Sygate), because I don't want to pay for it.

I think it's impossible to chose a virusscanner and/or firewall for somebody else. I like Bitdefender and KasperSky as virusscanner, but this is for different for other people.

You could try a few (trial-versions) and then make your choise.

Edited by rve123, 08 April 2006 - 08:06 AM.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button