I'm Considering Avast...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mak90

mak90

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 01:54 PM

I'm considering installing the free home version of Avast Anti-virus and would like opinions on it's effectiveness. I hate to admit it, but I'm always leary of anything free :blink: . I guess I'm stuck with the old mindset that if it's free it can't be that great. Please let me hear your feedback. Thanks in advance!

Mak

#2 teacup61

teacup61

RIP

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 03:07 PM

Avast! is excellent. I ended up choosing it over Norton some time back. It just let too many nasties through and my machine was a wreck. Avast! was suggested at a well known pc troubleshooting site, so I tried it, and stayed with it. It's also lighter on resources. Try it. You'll love it! :D
My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 davidb231

davidb231

SWI Junkie

• Helper Trainee+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 06:02 PM

Hi Mak90,
I have also dumped Norton and after several trials I selected Avast!. I have been pleased with the protection I get. My computer is used by several teens and I see the results of Avast's protection every time I view the logs. :D
In this case, free is good enough. I also recommend that you periodically use an on-line virus scan because it is fact that no one anti-virus program can offer 100% protection. Feel free to use any one of the links in my signature if you don't have a favorite. :wave:
If you'd like to contribute to help with the costs of running Spywareinfo

#4 chiaz

chiaz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:18 PM

It's pretty good, and many people recommend it. I have it as an on-demand scanner.

#5 Bmwboy

Bmwboy

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 07:21 PM

I had it for a period of 8 months, really great software.
But, I got a good deal on a McAfee package (firewall, antivirus, the whole 9 yards), so I switched.
I highly recommend Avast!

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button