• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:36 AM

[font=Comic Sans Ms]Hi everyone

My Norton anti-virus subscription is up tomorrow and I don't think I will renew it. My automatic updater went wrong some time ago and I have to use the manual method for virus definitions, which is a pain.

I've noted on the forum that most people also don't rate Norton so, what should I buy? I have a Dell Desktop PC with 3.2 GHz and 512 RAM, a 1MB broadband connection (through a cable not modem) and the PC is used by all the family. I use IE and email through Outlook Express. I also have Spyguard, Spyblaster and Kerio Firewall (version 2.1.5) running.

I am quite willing to buy software if it works. I have noted the forum's preference for Nod32(?) and ProcessGuard and many also seem to recommend switching to Firefox rather than use Interenet Explorer.

So,

i) Should I switch to Firefox as well as changing my anti-virus and how on earth do I do this? Is there a link I can go to to explain in easy terms and will it affect Outlook Express?

ii) What anti-virus should I buy? Who from? Any likely problems for a fairly un-techy person to cope with?

iii) Any known conflicts with the rest of the programmes I have.

Would like recommendations please before I splash out on something that's no more use than Norton.

Thanks

Balde Runner :wtf:

#2 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:47 PM

Should I switch to Firefox as well as changing my anti-virus and how on earth do I do this? Is there a link I can go to to explain in easy terms and will it affect Outlook Express?

Certainly, download and install Firefox from http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/. In addition, also get thunderbird, a replacement for Outlook express. If you want to continue to use OE, there are no known problems with that. Firefox will import all your favourites from IE.

ii) What anti-virus should I buy? Who from? Any likely problems for a fairly un-techy person to cope with?

Why buy? There are several A/V programs available for free, Avast, and AVG being the most obvious. ( mainly because those are the one's I remember!) Just download the program, and install it. Don't forget to update it on a regular basis.

You should have no problems with the other program you have, although Kerio will pop up some warnings about firefox, until it learns.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#3 tsitraveler

tsitraveler

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:51 PM

AVG is on my mother's sys. It's very good, not great, IMO the best of the free. We've had to clean her up from time to time. Her connection is dial-up, her ISP covers her account for viruses lately, so there's more than one layer of virus protection. Whenever she gets something, her connection bogs, and we re-image her sys. We don't even bother trying to clean it up, usually.

She only uses her sys for email, jigsaw puzzle games, looking up info.

The threat environment has radically changed in the past year. Any reasonable person with any recent education on the matter would agree. Unfortunately, none of the free antivirus programs are really capable of keeping up anymore, and I feel it's deceptive to say otherwise.

I'm a fan of nod32, myself. Heuristic scanning. Won't bog down your system. Catches trojans, viruses, worms. etc. Even protected users against the recent WMF exploit, without an update.

Protects against rootkits.

34 Virus Bulletin 100% awards. Perfect record for several years now.

No technical expertise required.

It won't bog your system, either.

#4 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:55 AM

I'm a fan of nod32, myself. Heuristic scanning. Won't bog down your system. Catches trojans, viruses, worms. etc. Even protected users against the recent WMF exploit, without an update.

Protects against rootkits.

34 Virus Bulletin 100% awards. Perfect record for several years now.

No technical expertise required.

It won't bog your system, either.
[/quote]

Thanks tsi traveller, I would rather have an anti virus with a good rep that I knew would probably catch all - I assume if I do a search on 'Nod32' some sites will come up where I can buy(?) this programme?

Also thanks dave38 for the reference to Firefox - I will investigate the site and see if there are any problems connecting it via my ntl cable broadband (never as easy as it should be!).

Norton subscription runs out today so I will get a move on! :D

#5 happypuppy

happypuppy

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 04:14 AM

Hi,
AVG and NOD32 sound good.
there are some provide online scan also.
http://www.12doors.c...swer.php?qid=83

#6 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:07 AM

Disclosure of Personal Information

Information we collect about you will not be disclosed by us to the Company's advertisers in a form that would identify you.

12Doors.com cannot ensure that all of your personally identifiable information will never be disclosed in ways not described in this Privacy Policy. For example, if we are requested by police or court order under certain circumstances, we shall do so.

from the Privacy Policy of 12doors.com
After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#7 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:59 AM

Hi everyone

Thanks for all the posts - not exactly sure what your post refers me to happypuppy but not likely to use it if it's not private (thanks hornet777)

Norton keeps popping up a 'Your subscription has expired' notice box on red - very annoying - I know it's expired! So I will search for Nod32 and hope it works.

#8 tsitraveler

tsitraveler

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 12:02 PM

Nod32 by Eset:

http://www.nod32.com/

You may also want to check out ProcessGuard, to block anything trying to use Global Shell Hook. Provides another layer of protection against trojans and rootkits. It's a bit more hands-on, however.

http://www.diamondcs...u/processguard/

Regards.

#9 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 04:00 PM

Thanks for the address tsitraveller - it will give me something to do over the bank holiday weekend! :D

#10 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:10 PM

- I will investigate the site and see if there are any problems connecting it via my ntl cable broadband (never as easy as it should be!).

There should not be a problem. I assume that the connection works OK with Internet Explorer, so it will work with Firefox. No tweaking needed
If you install Firefox, also install the plug-in NoScript. You will (almost!) be bullet proof!.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#11 scotsguy

scotsguy

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:30 PM

My Norton anti-virus subscription is up tomorrow and I don't think I will renew it. My automatic updater went wrong some time ago and I have to use the manual method for virus definitions, which is a pain.

I've noted on the forum that most people also don't rate Norton so, what should I buy? I have a Dell Desktop PC with 3.2 GHz and 512 RAM, a 1MB broadband connection (through a cable not modem) and the PC is used by all the family. I use IE and email through Outlook Express. I also have Spyguard, Spyblaster and Kerio Firewall (version 2.1.5) running.

I am quite willing to buy software if it works. I have noted the forum's preference for Nod32(?) and ProcessGuard and many also seem to recommend switching to Firefox rather than use Interenet Explorer.

So,

i) Should I switch to Firefox as well as changing my anti-virus and how on earth do I do this? Is there a link I can go to to explain in easy terms and will it affect Outlook Express?

Would like recommendations please before I splash out on something that's no more use than Norton.

Thanks

Edited by scotsguy, 26 June 2006 - 01:14 PM.

#12 scotsguy

scotsguy

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:30 PM

You're right to want replace Norton its very over-rated..... uses too much Ram, no good at killing root-kits etc.
In my experience(I've had Norton Internet Security 2006, AVG free then Pro, Zonelabs Security Suite 6, Mcafee Viruscan 8, 9 and 10, Trend Micro PC-Cillin v14, PreVX, Panda Platinum, Bit-defender 10, Kaspersky 5 + 6, and now I'm using F-Secure Client), the only two security suites I would advise anyone to get would be....

Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 and F-Secure Antivirus Client 6

Both of these suites offer superb antivirus/antispyware/firewall protection and regular automatic updates but Kaspersky can be a little complicated at first (although an instructions PDF is installled with the first update) and can be pretty taxing on your system (although if you've been using Norton you wont feel the difference).

I opted for F-Secure Anti-Virus Client 6 because it is much lighter on your system and with the exception of Kaspersky it offes better protection than any other suite out there.

It is also extremely easy to install and use.

Why not run a 30 day trial of one then the other then decide for yourself?

Both companies offer 30 day no obligation trials of there products via their websites.

www.kasperskylabs.com
www.f-secure.com

#13 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:31 AM

Hi guys

Just to give an update - bought Nod32 in the end for my pc and the one I have just bought my daughter (god, teenagers are expensive). Installed with no problem and seems to be running just fine. Found some malware on my system on the first scan and then nothing since.

Little bit spooky though - Norton used to ram it down your throat that it was there and working whilst this just sits in the background even through the regular scan I've set up - but I suppose it's working fine. Won't know unless I get an intrusion I suspect!

Thanks for all the help - off to try and find a free anti-virus for the laptop work have lent me over the summer holidays which I have just coonected into my wireless network and found all of the security turned off and no administrator access!!

Blade Runner signing off. :D

#14 florty2003

florty2003

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:39 PM

never rated norton got to be on of the worst ce is good als kasper and mcafee

#15 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:50 AM

never rated norton got to be on of the worst ce is good als kasper and mcafee

Hi everyone

Been running Nod32 on my PC and on my daugther's. So quiet you wouldn't know it's there! Suppose it's working fine on the basis that we have had no problems yet and my daugther runs Messanger and various other things that have a rep for trouble.

Scans regularly in the background if you set it up to do so and doesn't interfer with normal operations during a scan like Norton seemed to.

Happy with it so far and nothing strange shows on my HijackThis log when I run it.

I'm a happy little Blade Runner!!! :D

#16 tsitraveler

tsitraveler

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:58 PM

Glad to help.

I had McAfee before Nod32 - four or five years ago. I know what you mean - Nod32 doesn't require lots of care or fuss, and it plays well with every application I've ever had.

The re-subscription rate is very competitive now, also.

Throw ProcessGuard and Spybot S&D TeaTimer into the mix, and you're very well set up behind the firewall.

Regards.

Edited by tsitraveler, 07 September 2006 - 11:04 PM.

#17 franke1

franke1

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:27 AM

So,

Thanks

Hi,
You can use norton, avast , avg as antivirus softwares. These are very effective and useful antivirus softwares. You can also download these softwares online for free of cost.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button