12 replies to this topic

#1 Noggie

Noggie

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:16 PM

My grandmother would shake her head and say that she just doesn't understand what people are thinking in today's world. I think I tend to join my granny on this one. What were they thinking? Isn't there a more decent way to make a living?

There is a story posted in the FlyingHamster news section ( http://flyinghamster.com/post/18911 ) that there is an online game based on the Columbine High School tragedy. Has violence, murder, suicide and unspeakable terror come to be the stuff of entertainment? A game?

Real people died. There were no 'rules of engagement'. This was not combat. This was pure violence against unarmed kids, who did not have a chance. It was planned, premeditated mayhem. A teacher died. He was a husband. He was a father. He bled to death. Kids went to school one day and never came home.

Who thinks up this sort of entertainment? What twisted mentality offers this type of gaming as a way to spend recreational time? And what sort of person uses this for fun and pleasure? It is disgusting. - I shudder to think what this says about us, as a culture. I hope that we are not that sick. I truly do.

Catherine Forsythe

#2 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:46 PM

I am with your grandmother on this one. Certainly there are insensitive people about, and the lure of money is enough to stifle any repugance that they might feel.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#3 motherfury

motherfury

A Working Progress...

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:17 PM

The idea that someone is willing to capitalize on the tragedy of others by way of entertainment is atrocious to say the least. Yes, there are some that make money off the misfortune of others, such being known as lawyers and wreckers to name a few. But none of those compare to someone that mocks true life murders in the form of a game. The word game itself, according to the Mirriam Webster dictionary, is an activity engaged in for diversion or amusement. Amusement in this case is for what? Pyschotic killing? Now some may voice that war games should be included in this type insensitivity, but the concept of war in the name of freedom and two teenage boys in angst going on a murder spree somehow don't compare.

The worse part I think is that kids are the main target of games. And depending on the age of the kid and the maturity he or she has, some may have trouble distinguishing reality from fantasy. Each child is unique to his or her level of maturity.

Fantasy plays a big part in childhood and the mixed message that this "game" has is that, this is a reality based activity meant for amusement; and not only offers but encourages the "player" to engage the events in the mentality of the murderers. The idea that it is set to live out the "game" as a murderer for fun is distubing yet to allocate it as a motivation to talk about what happened is senseless.

This should only bring to light that parents should know what their children are exposed to and lay down guidelines to what they deem fit for them.
This of course is just my two cents- :blink:
"The problem with doing nothing is not knowing when your finished." --- Ben Franklin

#4 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:37 AM

were it to be that this was the only example of such things that could be cited; most are simply not reported, and hand-wringing is not an appropriate response, IMO
After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#5 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:52 PM

hand-wringing is not an appropriate response, IMO

So what is, IYO?
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#6 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:06 PM

I dunno, jedi; prolly shoulda just not said anything, as usual

#7 Noggie

Noggie

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:35 PM

hornet777 - I am glad you commented. - Thank you. - I tend to agree with you, in many ways. It is discouraging to see things like this everyday and have it accepted as fairly common place. It is disheartening. This effort may be absolutely useless. However, I don't know what else to do, except to use a public forum and encourage discussion. That has been what Spywareinfo has attempted to do - right from Day One. My belief is that the common people collectively have a loud voice.

I do know that the silence of apathy will allow things like this to propagate. And, I clearly do not want to be silent on this issue.

#8 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,487 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:45 PM

Something similar happened where I live last week. A teenager escaped from a mental institution that he had just checked himself into, and later went to a local police station with numerous firearms and killed two police officers before he was killed. Within days there were people (or maybe just one) that was fraudulently soliciting donations by phone, supposedly for the first slain officer's family.

Some people will do anything for money, no matter how repugnant. Whatever happened to "We will not lie, steal or cheat, nor tolerate among us anyone who does."

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#9 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:00 AM

Well its one thing to identify what is happening essentially, and quite another to know what to do about it. In the case of the wholesale loss of soul, such that these events suggest (and this is an ontological statement, not a theological one), how would one go about remedying it?

People have been "speaking out" for literally decades, and what has come from it? I don't think it is necessarily apathy to wait in silence for man and being to accept one-another again; perhaps one could even say this is a necessary preparatory. I am no less disgusted than any of you; its just that I realised some time ago that increasing the volume level is next to useless, and that adding outrage to outrage is only compounding the problem, which itself seems to be out of our hands. To wit all the bad legislation that has been passed over the past 15 years or so, and to what end?

#10 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 12:17 PM

I certainly wasn't suggesting you shouldn't have commented hornet777, I was genuinely curious as to whether you had a solution. I guess I agree with you, it's very easy to be shocked and outraged, and also very easy to get discouraged by the sheer inertia of all the crappiness in the world, and to believe nothing changes or is ever going to change. I choose personally to do what is within my power to do, even if it seems like a drop in the ocean, in the (probably hopelessly altruistic) view that it's better than doing nothing, and if everybody tried to do the same it may make a difference.

And Catherine, I don't choose to believe that Western society is that sick, I believe it gives us the oportunity to be the worst, or the best, we can be. Many people choose to be the best, and tend to go unnoticed. Here in the UK some 48% of the population do some kind of voluntary work, yet if you believe our popular press we're living in a sink-hole of iniquity. There have always been, and will always be, some very sad, sick people in the world, and the internet has given them a louder voice, but I don't believe they're the norm, or ever will be.
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#11 Noggie

Noggie

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 03:41 PM

Jedi, I agree with you. The good that people do is amazing... this forum is a prime example. That is why, as I indicated on another thread, I want to keep the Spywareinfo site in good order. - And, just as an aside, Jedi - although I am away from the UK, I still consider it home.

Catherine

#12 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:21 AM

Its in good hands, Noggie; thanks for your efforts.

Despite my big mouth and broad perspectives, I still enjoy listening to others a lot more than expressing my own views. Its the disagreements that make life interesting.

#13 Noggie

Noggie

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:05 AM

Thanks, Hornet - I really appreciate your kind words. This has been and continues to be stressful. Spywareinfo was one of the very first website about spyware and about other invasions of personal privacy. Mike Healan began this with vision of this being a meaningful resource for the internet community. I am focusing on maintaining that goal - with loads of help from the people who frequent these pages.

As you know, I am continuing to post stories for what was the Spywareinfo News section at FlyingHamster. This is one of the stories that I came across this morning:

"(AP) LOS ANGELES Two Quartz Hill teenagers were meticulously planning a Columbine-style attack on their old high school, sheriff's deputies said.

Johnny Alvarez Casas, then 17, and a 15-year-old friend stockpiled ammunition and bomb-making materials, then practiced detonating improvised explosives in the Antelope Valley desert in anticipation of a February attack, deputies said. The younger suspect's name was withheld because of his age."

read more: Duputies: Students Plotted Columbine-Style Attack

: http://cbs13.com/loc..._140114507.html

In light of the previous discussion on this thread, it is chilling to come across a news article like this (even if they don't spell check their headlines, it is frightening).

Catherine

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button