• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 singaporeboy

singaporeboy

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 05:45 AM

http://chiawaikian.proboards78.com/

SMB is delighted to be launching a new, basic course for beginners, named SMB Beginner Course.

Many computer users are not aware of the many risks and dangers that the World Wide Web poses.

If you have been using a PC for a year or two, I'm pretty sure you must have had your fair share of viruses, trojans, spyware and the like. They are all collectively called malware. Malware can seriously affect your computing experience. It can also steal off sensitive data from your computer. Your bank password, credit card number, et cetera may be in danger of being exposed and stolen off for monetary gains.

Most of the time the reason for these "infections" is that you did not equip your computer with protection software.

What are these protection software? Are they free? Where do I get them? What is a trojan anyway? Spyware? Keyloggers?

If you would like to learn more about them - and also how to prevent malware from intruding into your computer, join SMB Beginner Course. At the end of the course, you will be officially certified by SMB having passed the SMB Beginner Course.

Anyone tried this yet? Is it good?

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,637 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 06:11 AM

The person offering this course is a Trainee here and is not endorsed by this forum to be offering this or any other course... Take it at your own risk...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 singaporeboy

singaporeboy

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 06:27 AM

The person offering this course is a Trainee here and is not endorsed by this forum to be offering this or any other course... Take it at your own risk...

Thank you for the reply, I was under the mistaken impression he was an "expert" level member of your community.

I must have confused him for someone else.

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,637 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:12 AM

Thank you for the reply, I was under the mistaken impression he was an "expert" level member of your community.

I must have confused him for someone else.

While he has promoted himself in a number of different forums and opted to start his own forum to work on HJT logs before he completed training to do so, he is not an expert at SWI and I do not believe any other site has granted him that distinction... He is considered to have some expertise in working with ZoneAlarm, but I am not aware of the criteria used to determine that...

If you wish to learn how to protect yourself, I suggest you read the article noted in my signature and the various pinned topics in this forum... If you read the articles in the home site of this forum, you can also learn a great deal... CastleCops also has an extensive tutorial on how to deal with malware and a number of other sites provide well qualified assistance in these matters...

Do not assume someone is an expert or even has expertise simply because they claim to or offer a class... We have had many Trainees who came to us claiming to be experts only to see them struggle with even the most basic malware problems...

If you want to learn how to fight malware, we offer Boot Camp and a number of other forums offer schools that are run by respected members of the malware fighting community... chiawaikian is not one of them....
Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#5 singaporeboy

singaporeboy

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 11:51 AM

Do not assume someone is an expert or even has expertise simply because they claim to or offer a class... We have had many Trainees who came to us claiming to be experts only to see them struggle with even the most basic malware problems...

I can believe that.

I just got Chiawaikian confused with Lostaccount (who has being granted the lofty position of trusted advisor by your community) I thought they were the same person.

#6 Sempurna

Sempurna

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:08 AM

singaporeboy,

The time I've spent here at Boot Camp only makes me realize how much I don't know about malware issues and the proper ways to fix them!! Even if by the grace of God I get promoted to Helper status, I don't doubt that it will be years before I reach the level of knowledge acquired by the leaders in this forum.

You will also realize that some of the advice given at that website is suspect at best. You know it's suspect when the advice given to a user is to reformat and reinstall because a helper cannot figure out what's wrong (even though something is obviously corrupted, or worse, still infected). To do an R&R is for a worst case scenario, when all other avenues have been exausted.

As you are probably aware of the culture in this part of the region, maybe the website is just a "well-intentioned" entrepreneurial venture? You know the type of business... make money from other people's misery. Otherwise, why start a website when one is not ready to do so, and solicit for "donations"?

Although it is somewhat surprising to me that KotaGuy, an ambassador in the SWI community, knows about the website, and even actually posted in their "Malware Removal" forum. Assuming it's the same KotaGuy...
My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

--------------------

We are each of us angels with but one wing. And we can only fly embracing each other.
Luciano De Crescenzo

#7 singaporeboy

singaporeboy

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 06:41 AM

As you are probably aware of the culture in this part of the region, maybe the website is just a "well-intentioned" entrepreneurial venture?

Well not sure what you mean about 'the culture in this part of the region'..... Do you mean Malaysians are only money grabbers? :D

You know the type of business... make money from other people's misery. Otherwise, why start a website when one is not ready to do so, and solicit for "donations"?

To be fair, even SWI solicits for donations too.... :)

Although it is somewhat surprising to me that KotaGuy, an ambassador in the SWI community, knows about the website, and even actually posted in their "Malware Removal" forum. Assuming it's the same KotaGuy...

They seem to have several heavy weights with them include at least one Microsoft MVP...

Edited by singaporeboy, 30 May 2006 - 06:42 AM.

#8 Sempurna

Sempurna

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:25 AM

Do you mean Malaysians are only money grabbers?

I think we both know lots of people on both sides of the Causeway that are, err, a bit too materialistic? I wonder if they would give their time here, freely, like you and I. :)

To be fair, even SWI solicits for donations too....

True, true. With some differences. Firstly, the leaders here at SWI know what they are doing. And I don't think they get any monetary rewards for doing this. The "owner" of the suspect security website, on the other hand... You can come to your own conclusion on that one. :)

They seem to have several heavy weights with them include at least one Microsoft MVP...

Looks like that website has gotten off to a great start, then!! But, like Budfred said, get your training here or at any of the other established schools. Why go to Kahtong College (or Cheras School for IT for that matter) when you can go to Harvard? :D
My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

--------------------

We are each of us angels with but one wing. And we can only fly embracing each other.
Luciano De Crescenzo

#9 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,637 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:18 PM

I took a look around the site and saw no evidence of any "heavy weights" or a MS MVP in an active role... chiawaikian seems to be the only one addressing HJT logs and seems to be the main contributor to the site...

I did notice that someone named singaporeboy signed up for the Beginner's Course and indicated an interest in creating malware that was more resistant to the tools we use to fight it... That wouldn't be you by any chance?? If so, did you post here to advertise the site or did you just ignore what was said about it here??

Oh, by the way, while SWI relies on donations to keep it running, we don't assault you with flashing ads just for logging on... It is interesting that the site advertises that it is hosted for free (presumably in exchange for those flashing ads), but also asks for donations... I know that the message is that he wants the donations so he doesn't have to have the ads, but....
Budfred

#10 singaporeboy

singaporeboy

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 03:52 AM

And I don't think they get any monetary rewards for doing this. The "owner" of the suspect security website, on the other hand... You can come to your own conclusion on that one

Careful there.... You don't want to throw around accusations even by implication, unless you have proof .

I think we both know lots of people on both sides of the Causeway that are, err, a bit too materialistic? I wonder if they would give their time here, freely, like you and I.

Please don't include me as one of you. LOL. I don't give a flying <censored> about newbies who don't know how to protect themselves. They deserve what they get, you guys helping them for free gives them no incentive to learn how to protect themselves, after all, you can get help for free so no worries if I mess up my computer.

But, like Budfred said, get your training here or at any of the other established schools. Why go to Kahtong College (or Cheras School for IT for that matter) when you can go to Harvard?

With comments like how people in asia are materialistic (implying that people in the west aren't) and this comment, one would think you worship the west.... :)

Besides I don't need or want any of your training!! I was just curious about the course cos it is by one of us.

I took a look around the site and saw no evidence of any "heavy weights" or a MS MVP in an active role... chiawaikian seems to be the only one addressing HJT logs and seems to be the main contributor to the site...

Probably, I didn't check to see how involved these guys were. The assist admin is a newly honoured Microsoft MVP though.

I did notice that someone named singaporeboy signed up for the Beginner's Course and indicated an interest in creating malware that was more resistant to the tools we use to fight it... That wouldn't be you by any chance??

Yeah that was me, fooling around. Still got accepted though. :)

If so, did you post here to advertise the site or did you just ignore what was said about it here??

Both I guess. Truth of it was, I requested to join before I posted here. And by the time you replied, i was accepted already, so I decided why not take a look.

Since you probably won't lower yourself to join to see what is in the lessons let me describe what's in them

*It isn't a course on how to read HJT logs.

*It's just some very very brief definitions of malware, worms, trojans quoted from wikipedia, how they spread etc and links to some common free antivirus, firewall AVG etc etc

*You could get technical and poke holes if you wanted to, but for laypersons who cares...

*pretty much the same thing you can get everywhere on how to secure your computer

Probably harmless, a newbie could do worse than to follow the advise there.

So no need to get all excited...

Oh, by the way, while SWI relies on donations to keep it running, we don't assault you with flashing ads just for logging on...

Oh Bud, don't be so defensive.

Edited by singaporeboy, 31 May 2006 - 03:56 AM.

#11 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,637 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:01 AM

Probably, I didn't check to see how involved these guys were. The assist admin is a newly honoured Microsoft MVP though.

Once someone joins, chiawaikian can make that person whatever rank he chooses... That does not mean that person is involved or contributes any expertise.... Again, I see no evidence of substantial involvement by anyone respected in the malware fighting community... The MS MVP you refer to appears to be exclusively involved in posting about updates...

Oh Bud, don't be so defensive.

Oh sin, you made a point of comparing the two sites in requesting donations... I clarified the difference... If you wish to call that defensive you may do so, but don't hurt yourself stretching for a way to defend chiawaikian's choices...

Please don't include me as one of you. LOL. I don't give a flying <censored> about newbies who don't know how to protect themselves. They deserve what they get, you guys helping them for free gives them no incentive to learn how to protect themselves, after all, you can get help for free so no worries if I mess up my computer.

With that attitude and your stated wish to make malware more resistant to the tools we use to fight it, I am glad you are not pursuing training as a malware fighter, you do not appear to have the honor required to do so...

You began this topic by asking a question and you have continued it by taking the stance of defending the site you supposedly wanted to know about... You have acknowledged that part of the reason you did so was to advertise the site... Your approach to doing that is dishonest and your stated goals are disturbing... If you are a child, it may be that it is simply the poor judgement of youth, but it is certainly not compatible with the attitude we take at SWI which well known as a site for fighting malware.... I am going to end this discussion now since it is evident that the original purpose was false...
Budfred

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button