4 replies to this topic

#1 Noggie

Noggie

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:36 PM

Thanks to CNM for creating this Forum space for me. As many of you know, there have been some stresses that have been created by Mike Healan's absence. I have posted on that elsewhere on this Forum and I will continue to post a monthly update on that thread.

I want to comment on my perception of what I need to do and what I feel that I have to do.

I have been a part of Spywareinfo since the very first days. Those were the days when Mike would know every person who visited this site. The reason for that was he cajoled every one of them into visiting. That was not so long ago. A spyware information site was a small idea - but it was a great idea. And the idea of helping people and providing sound, sensible information grew to where we are approaching a half million Forum posts. I am not willing to let this site die.

I know that there are many sites that have followed along the same path as Spywareinfo. However, we have a unique group here. The talent here is as good as anywhere on the internet. The dedication is the envy of many sites. I could go on and on - but I think it is a community of friends. I am not willing to let that fall quietly on the internet's trash heap.

My main focus has to be on paying the bills. There will be discounted software offered at FlyingHamster (http://flyinghamster.com/) so that the bills can be paid. A donation link is there too - in case you want to support the site through a contribution. The second focus is to keep the site running in the manner that Mike set forth during the initial years. We will stick to what we have been doing. The Spywareinfo Forum is run by dedicated people and I feel that it is in excellent hands.

Complaints and criticisms can be directed to me. It falls upon me to take the responsibility for any problems. I am here daily and will continue to be here on an everyday basis. If there is something that you think is wrong, let me know. It will be addressed. I answer all email ( http://www.spywareinfo.com/email2.php ), even if it is just to tell the crank that we have his/her IP address and will be reporting it. I try to answer all email within twenty four hours - and I usually do.

Some people have asked about a newsletter. I am working on creating a newsletter from FlyingHamster. I will not use the Spywareinfo mailing list. I feel that the Spywareinfo addresses are proprietary to Mike Healan and should remain so. People signed up to see what Mike had to say and I do not think it is right to use that mail list for anything other than Mike Healan articles. If people want the latest security news and articles, there soon will be a chance to sign up at FlyingHamster.

I am going to leave this thread open for comments. Change all you complaint setting to point to me... and go read the news at FlyingHamster ( http://www.flyinghamster.com/ ).

Catherine (and yes, people do call me 'Noggie' in real life)

#2 Chancellor

Chancellor

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 02:54 PM

. . . However, we have a unique group here. The talent here is as good as anywhere on the internet. The dedication is the envy of many sites. I could go on and on - but I think it is a community of friends. I am not willing to let that fall quietly on the internet's trash heap.

Hello Catherine (or do you prefer Noggie)?

I suppose someone has to be the first to post a reply in a nice shiny new sub-forum (apart from its owner I mean) . . . so I just dropped by to say "Thanks" for taking up the challenge - and I am sure it is a HUGE one of looking after SpywareInfo!

I have not quite been here a year yet, but have spent a thoroughly enjoyable time working my way through Boot Camp and on into the ranks of those taking a stand against spyware. The knowledge I have gained - and am continuing to gain - is tremendous. The dedication of those who give of their time to train us is amazing!

So many people offer so much of their time, resources and knowledge, to help others who turn here for help - The internet would be greatly diminished were this site not here and it is very reassuring to know that during Mike's absence SpywareInfo will be in such capable hands.

To all of those involved in keeping us going - cnm, Budfred, Indrid_Cold, Swandog46, your good self - not forgetting all of the Mods, I would simply like to say a HUGE Thank You! :wub:
Chancellor

Please consider a donation to help Support SWI
Malware Complaints - Report them here and fight back!
Member of ASAP Since 2006 (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals)
Please read the FAQ and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?".

#3 Noggie

Noggie

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 12:13 PM

Chancellor,

Thank you - and thank you for commenting. And for being the first to comment on this new section of the Spywareinfo Forum, I have a free copy of Spy Sweeper from WebRoot for you.

#4 Thunder

Thunder

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 05:39 AM

Hello Noggie,

However, we have a unique group here. The talent here is as good as anywhere on the internet. The dedication is the envy of many sites.

And that may very well be an understatement. :cool:
I think it's safe to say SWI is one of the very few sites to be commonly accepted as the example of a well organised and highly efficient malware fighting forum, as well as having a training centre supervised and monitored by some of the best and most experienced malware fighters in the world.

My main focus has to be on paying the bills.

Which deserves the utmost respect of each and everyone of us.
It's a task very few of us would be willing, or would be able to manage,
and yet, we all take it for granted that its's done, somewhere in the "grey background".

Thank you, Noggie. :wave: :D
Whatever happens, make believe it was intended to ...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
A donation to this site to help us help you, is most appreciated

#5 Chancellor

Chancellor

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 05:51 AM

Chancellor,

Thank you - and thank you for commenting. And for being the first to comment on this new section of the Spywareinfo Forum, I have a free copy of Spy Sweeper from WebRoot for you.

Wow!

Thank you! :blush2:
Chancellor

Please consider a donation to help Support SWI
Malware Complaints - Report them here and fight back!
Member of ASAP Since 2006 (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals)
Please read the FAQ and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?".

Member of

Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button
PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!