Virus identify

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dougie

dougie

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 04:41 AM

Has anyone on this forum heard if a virus called " NAV114.tmp "?

I recently sent an email to a person I know in Ottawa. The email contained several government weblinks that I copied and pasted into the body of the email. My friend emailed me back to inform me that my email apparently had a virus by the above name. His anti virus software apparently caught it and it said that the source was my email and that it was in one of the weblinks.

I did a complete scan of the email and links but it turned up nothing at all. The links had been also sent to 2 other ppl on my list but they have had no problem with it at all.

Would anyone know what could be going on?

Thanks;

Dougie

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 08:58 AM

My first thought would be to wonder which antivirus he was using. All of them will occasionally report a false positive - i.e. they will "detect" a virus when there is no virus there.

I find only one reference to NAC114.tmp - http://www.bomul.com...0...p;id=16189 in Korean. Part of Google's quaint translation:

Subject: Assist. The virus treatment does not become, the bedspread
Drawing up it sleeps: dgpkb 2005.01.06 | 179
The multi field Goodbye is
To new year it is healthier more and Sowon doing hour route it wishes all by any means.
With afterwords the same virus floats.
To be how the sun it does. It wishes the help of the persistence field.

1. Operation setup: It is a window XP and the update is doing with automatic.
2. Virus: W95.Fono (DOS)
3. Condition: Hangul (Korean alphabet), [eyk] it will count and it does [khem] there is not the Internet and the game back and a problem.
Inside the scull shaking off the dignity virus casually, the mote discovered, it leaves space the deep-red window.
Yes the cotton 'X button ' or 'the confirmation' button the various click sun the great disaster window disappears.
4. Virus prosecuting attorney
1) V3 2002: It says that there is not a search resultant virus.
2) the scull inside shaking off, the mote virus: The some mind virus does not become is not searched only treatment
(1) viruses (8): nav114.tmp, nav12E.tmp, nav182.tmp and nav185.tmp
nav484.tmp, nav485.tmp, nav486.tmp and nav487.tmp
(2) courses: Documents and Settings/sLocal/Settings/Temp
“s " inside [khem] is name, (Samsung computer).
(3) approaches to sleep, the owner: YOUR-KBVFZPDT4Ns
(4) sculls it shook off with it treats, it does and “it will not be able to rehabilitated this file and " the window which is floats.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, other than the difficulty of communicating with your friend.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 Swandog46

Swandog46

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,190 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 12:05 PM

This would be one of the temporary files created during a Norton Antivirus scan. This is not the original name of the virus --- could you get the original filename before it was flagged by Norton?

#4 dougie

dougie

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:53 AM

This would be one of the temporary files created during a Norton Antivirus scan. This is not the original name of the virus --- could you get the original filename before it was flagged by Norton?

I did email my friend in Ottawa who complained to me that one of my emails had a virus. I asked him for the original file name and he emailed back that it was "test" LOL.

Looks like it was a false alarm:)

Thanks for your help guys.

Dougie

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button