77 replies to this topic

#51 RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY

Marcin

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:09 PM

Mike, I for one agree with admiraljustin. Your private life is your private life and you absolutely had no need to reveal those details. However, it took great courage to reveal them, even though you revealed enough during your first post.

You have created a wonderful site that inspires people like me. I wish you the best and hope all will be well.

A note to skeptics:

I understand there were many people that were skeptical. And i was NOT one of them. A persons life is PRIVATE people. I am 16 years old and I even understand that. There was no need to investigate.
Marcin Kleczynski
Chief Executive Officer
Malwarebytes Corporation

Follow me on Twitter or check out my Blog!

#52 Kat

Kat

Princess Kitty

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:28 PM

I disagree a tiny bit, Ducky. The people who investigated did so for ONE reason. That reason was not to 'out' Mike, or try to make him look bad. A hell of a lot of people were worried about him, and were trying to find out what the heck happened to him. THAT is the initial reason why people were googling, and doing anything else they could think of to find him.

#53 wreck

wreck

Always Learning!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:39 PM

Thanks, Mike. The people that needed/deserved to know now do. Probably best to make this thread disappear -- no one else has to know anything further. :thumbsup:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight -- it's the size of the fight in the dog."

#54 admiraljustin

admiraljustin

Perma-trainee #15815743-A

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:08 PM

Thanks, Mike. The people that needed/deserved to know now do. Probably best to make this thread disappear -- no one else has to know anything further. :thumbsup:

*waves hand*

This is not the thread you are looking for.

#55 suzi

suzi

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:17 PM

I'm nearly speechless, too, and echo Kat's sentiments above. Mike, I'm sorry for what you've had to go through and wish you all the best. It did take a lot of courage to tell your story. Fwiw -- one short email from you to a few key people could have prevented a lot of turmoil. Let's hope you don't have to go through anything like that again, but if you need to disappear for a while, just let someone know that you need space or something. Again, all the best for your continued recovery.
Spyware Warrior
Microsoft MVP 2005-2009 Windows - Security

#56 tsitraveler

tsitraveler

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 01:36 AM

Welcome back Mike!

(Phil - From the Voice of the Public days)

http://www.spywarein...showtopic=75251

You've created a wonderful place here. Your courageous spirit is shown in this site.

Your presence here is, obviously, deeply felt. Yours is a special mix of life experience, talents and perceptions that we all benefit from. You've got a generous and golden spirit, Mike.

I guess many of us feel deeply about you, because you're so humane, honest, practical, and giving. Your spirit comes through in this site, and is profound.

I understand the most important thing is for you to take care of yourself, in the best way you know how. I've been through some issues from time to time myself. I know you were simply being considerate, but your disclosure took guts. Sure helps those who care about you to understand, and perhaps will stir up other positive things.

I've always appreciated what you do, and even more now. You are amazing.

To those who feel discomfort that Mike separated from us for a while, the way he did: with a little patience, you will understand. If you still feel upset/judgemental, you still have a little way to go. A little quiet time can help you get there.

It appears many of us have gone through withdrawal pains lately, Mike, because we naturally miss your presence. Some of our colleagues may not handle this as gracefully as they should, but the bottom line is - you are important, and welcome back.

My deepest respect goes out to you. Thank you again for all the help over the years. Looking forward to many more.

Phil Albee

#57 nellie2

nellie2

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:15 AM

Mike.. it must have been difficult for you to say what you did in such a public way. But I thank you for it.

Now we can all stop speculating and get back to doing what we do best and what this site was put together to do.

You have a lot of good friends and colleagues in this community, people who worry about you and care for you. I have the utmost respect for you and for the people who love you and who have worked so hard in keeping SpywareInfo going in your absense.

:wub:

#58 jurgenv

jurgenv

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:32 AM

Welcome back Mike! ^_^
Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead. Posted Image
Please post the final results, good or bad. We like to know!

Fight back against malware, stand up and be counted!
http://www.malwareco....info/index.php

Keep this forum alive - I'm a volunteer and it's my pleasure to serve, but the SWI site needs your donations to operate. Thank you for your support.
http://www.spywareinfo.com/support.php

SWI support site. Donation link and discounted software deals, daily security-related news and much more.

#59 pivonka571

pivonka571

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:50 AM

Like I said, it is a private matter and I didn't want to discuss it publicly.

. . .

So, like I said the other day, I'm back. According to medical science, I might stick around this time.

Appreciate that full disclosure, Mike. Very much. I was pretty annoyed at the holier than thou types demanding it though. To me, the possibilities for things that cause interruptions in our lives, unbidden, unavoidable, and very very unwelcome are endless. Your statement that you had been subject to one such interruption seemed credible, courteous, and adequate enough in the first place.

But I am old, and male, and have seen enough to know that. Others, with different experiences, or less expeirence, may have not yet learned to check their curiosity, or discipline their need for reassurance in such circumstances.

Best wishes, and congratulations, on your progress in a difficult journey.

Jim Pivonka

#60 ChrisRLG

ChrisRLG

Malware Remover

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 06:54 AM

Mike I echo the thoughts that this topic has done what it needed to do - hide it in a hidden room, it does not need to stay public.

God be with you, and give you peace.
ASAP member since 2004 - MS MVP member since 2005
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
My- computer Safety online - Article and others Texruss's Hijackthis FAQ
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."

#61 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,026 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 07:17 AM

Mike, I really admire you for the courage/effort that you posted this in public.
This really shows how much you DO care about SWI, because after all, this is a private/personal matter and I can perfectly understand why you wanted to keep this private.
Posting this in public shows how much you care about SWI. And even when you didn't post this, I am pretty sure that, when you were ready for it, you would let some know (cnm, Noggie...) what really happened with you.

Take care Mike, take it easy and think about yourself now, because that is still a priority.
I live very closely with people/situations as yours in real life... So, if you ever need a listening ear/reading eye, you know where to find me. :)
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow!---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

#62 Kirstin

Kirstin

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 07:49 AM

You've created a wonderful place here. Your courageous spirit is shown in this site.

Your presence here is, obviously, deeply felt. Yours is a special mix of life experience, talents and perceptions that we all benefit from. You've got a generous and golden spirit, Mike.

I guess many of us feel deeply about you, because you're so humane, honest, practical, and giving. Your spirit comes through in this site, and is profound.

I've always appreciated what you do, and even more now. You are amazing.

It appears many of us have gone through withdrawal pains lately, Mike, because we naturally miss your presence. Some of our colleagues may not handle this as gracefully as they should, but the bottom line is - you are important, and welcome back.

My deepest respect goes out to you. Thank you again for all the help over the years. Looking forward to many more.

Couldn't have put it better myself!

So glad you are back,

Kirstin
:wub:

#63 mikey

mikey

Advanced Member

• Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:29 AM

Mike, since you decided to return from the land of the lost, you really need to shoot me a note privately. The addies you have for me are still good but PM is OK too. I would advise to do so ASAP.

#64 bagger015

bagger015

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:22 PM

Mile welcome back. In the long run you are what is important. If you don't take care of #1 no one else is going to do it for you. Just do whatever it takes to keep YOU # 1.

Been there and done that myself. I too am on medication and have been for a long while and will be for the rest of my life. That is part of what I have to do to keep me #1.

Life is a journey..........NOT a guided tour.........Best of luck in you journey and keep yourself healthy.........again welcome back........

#65 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:59 PM

ah, what the hell, I'll stop in for a quick note (first time for everything huh):

Mike - hehe.

Keep on trucking buddy. Most of my friends have gone through/go through what you did, not easy or fun. You'll survive and tough it out.

All in good time baha.

- Travis Slack

#66 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:56 PM

The minor truth has been spoken and it remains the best course of action to suspend reaction and judgment, either way.

The saying of a "minor" truth necessarily infers the existence of a "majour" one as well. If that is the case, what would it be?

There is a far more powerful truth here that speaks with a voice that lies at the very essence of language itself. For this reason, it is not immediately obvious, and yet nevertheless speaks far more loudly than any bombshell that could be dropped, for in such matters involving "power" (whatever than does or can mean) it is far more often that the light touch reigns supreme.

Hornet, what are you babbling about?

The truth that speaks the more powerfully here, through its very subtlety, are the constant, untiring efforts at remediation and education that this group undertakes.

This truth transcends any given individual, and lies the very heart of the forum's existence, and purpose for being. To paraphrase Nietzsche, it lies beyond praise and blame, good and evil.
After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#67 aczechgurl

aczechgurl

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,577 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 07:34 AM

Welcome back Mike. :wave:

Aczechgurl

Please consider Supporting SWI's fight against Malware.

Member of ASAP (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals)

Fight back Malware Complaints

#68 racooper

racooper

Master of my own Domain

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:23 AM

Ah, so Angel/Angelus could be more truth than we knew?

Mike, it's good to have you back. Whatever happens, you have the support of your friends here, even those of us who have never met you in person.

I'm astounded at how open you have been with us. You definitely didn't owe the general public (Experts/devels/TAs/etc here included) any explanation. The only ones who (IMHO) deserved to know were the admins who fought to keep SWI alive during your absence. I have to say that you are much braver than most.

You have my prayers for whatever and whenever your needs are.

#69 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:46 AM

Welcome back, Mike - good to see you again. Catch you in #privacy sometime.

Edited by Tuxedo Jack, 11 July 2006 - 11:48 AM.

Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#70 amateur

amateur

• Security Colleague
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:19 AM

Hi Mike,
This is my first post at this forum. I am known as "amateur" in other forums but the name was taken here so I had to register with a different name.

Since, you don't know me, it probably won't mean much to you, but it would mean a lot to me to apologize. I was one of those who thought you were "irresponsible" and "grossly negligent", not knowing what actually went on with your life. I am sorry you had to go through all that and was also accused by the likes of me. I am happy to hear that the diagnosis was made correctly and the appropriate treatment made it possible for you to return to normal life. Welcome back, with the full meaning of it.

Edited by muzi, 12 July 2006 - 05:10 PM.

Amateur
ASAP

#71 Terryala

Terryala

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:47 AM

Hi Mike and Welcome Back:

As always late but then I'm Old and Slow. Everyone has commented on what happened to you and you took the time to tell your story. The thing is that this is not an uncommon problem in all walks of life. By telling your story you might have helped one person understand that they too have a problem.

Have been there and walked the walk I know what you went thru and believe me it turns you upside down and inside out. My family couldn't under stand even when the Doctors explained it all to them. It was only after a coupla months went by and my wife had broke several broom handles did she understand. My mind wanted to do one thing but the body didn't or wouldn't. All this was brought about stress from a bad Asthma attack and a stay in a Hospital that wasn't a happy one. To say I went thru 6 months of pure H-ll and all types of medicine is an understatement.

So take your time to relax and when you feel down pull back and talk it out with someone you trust and knows you. Don't keep it inside. I know you have many friends that care how you are and are there for you. The response here shows me that. We lost are leader at our Forum for several weeks and like you we didn't know where he was do to sickness and in the hospital but we continued on with the Forum as your people did here. It's all about careing and friendship.

Best

Grand Dad

OLD, BOLD & SLOW.

Gladiator Security Forum Admin.

Edited by Terryala, 25 July 2006 - 07:49 AM.

OLD,BOLD & SLOW.

Gladiator Security Forum Admin.

#72 Unzy

Unzy

• Expert
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 06:26 AM

Glad to hear all is well Mike :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Unzy

#73 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 02:52 PM

Wow so that was *you* in Galciv2 forums??

I said hi to you and even asked you point blank if you were *the mike* from swi, but you denied it.

We had some interesting strategy discussions on Galciv2 though :)

Be well.

Regards.
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#74 ElPiedra

ElPiedra

Malware Researcher

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 06:06 PM

You have created a wonderful site that inspires people like me. I wish you the best and hope all will be well.

I am another inspired ones by SWI and I wish the best thing you in your return :thumbsup:

:wave:
Marcelo Rivero.
Microsoft MVP Enterprise Security
ForoSpyware.com Support Forum in Spanish
InfoSpyware.com Malware/IT Threats Researcher.

#75 jtool

jtool

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:10 AM

Hi i am new here i dont know you but i am glad you are better now.jim

#76 0vermind

0vermind

Internet Security Junkie

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:29 PM

Actully he's gone again. I nothing more than that. I've been trying to find answers to why there was only one newsletter before it stopped again.
I havn't gotten a newsletter since september 9, 2006

I loved the Spyware Newsletter. It was worth alot to many people including me.

My blog: www.MikesSupport.com/blog

Computer Repair in Orem, Utah

#77 MrHelpless

MrHelpless

Spyware Ass-kicker

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:31 AM

Welcome back to SpywareInfo, Mike :p

Glad you're safe and sound and btw the malware situation has been worse......malware programs are now able to now find their way up to Mac :hmmm:
I'm not helpless, I just help LESS. :-)

#78 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,815 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:50 PM

Welcome back to SpywareInfo, Mike :p

Glad you're safe and sound and btw the malware situation has been worse......malware programs are now able to now find their way up to Mac :hmmm:

Sadly, we aren't at all sure where Mike is at this moment in time, although some of us can make a pretty educated guess.

We have no idea whether he is safe and sound or not.

If you would be so kind as to read the last time he posted, you'll get an idea of when he left (again), and of his situation (if we assume it to be the same one as before).

~§creen317

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button