9 replies to this topic

#1 Noggie

Noggie

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 02:16 PM

Today, a Google search of "Ted Stevens" and "tubes" produced over one million links. That number will go higher as the days pass. The internet community is roasting Senator Stevens's understanding of the 'tubes'. According to Senator Stevens, "they want to deliver vast amounts of information over the internet. And again, the internet is not something you just dump something on. It's not a truck. It's a series of tubes."

Yes, he did say that ... and there was more. Part of what Senator Stevens had to say is available here ( http://www.publickno...ge.org/node/497 ) . Obviously, Senator Stevens needs to become a bit more familiar with the information highway.

One might take into account that Senator Stevens is in his early eighties. He came upon computers and the internet at a later stage in life. Nevertheless, he is the Chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee. As such, he has a strong role in determining the rules that govern the internet, such as net neutrality. One would think that it would be in the best interest of all concerned that the Chairman was a bit more familiar about the topic which he is charged with regulating. It should frighten each and every one of us that the Chairman of a regulating committee has such a poor understanding of the fundamental issues.

At first, Ted Stevens is unintentionally humourous. Upon a closer look, he is frightening. Is this how government works?

Catherine

#2 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,433 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 03:29 PM

Considering Arthur C. Clarke's dictum that "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic", where does that apparently put the Senator's knowledge level :(

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#3 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 04:33 PM

Probably at about the same level as most politicians! Incidentally, remember the second part of Clarkes law. "Any technology that can be distinguished from magic is insufficently advanced "
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#4 Mike

Mike

Dark Lord of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:32 AM

"A supernatural event of world-shaking proportions, occurring in a faithless time when only science is believed to have the power to work miracles, might appear to be the work of an extraterrestrial species hundreds or even thousands of years more advanced than we are." Dean Koontz - The Taking
SpywareInfo: How are you gentlemen?? All your base are belong to us!!
Spyware: What you say!!
SpywareInfo: You have no chance to survive. Make your time!

#5 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:18 AM

Googled 'It's a series of tubes' and got this:
http://www.boldheade...echno_tubes.mp3
:oops:
Mind you, I guess the ability to believe something that's totally evidencially unsupported but happens to concur with the wishes of big business is quite an asset for today's politicians. :gack:
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#6 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:54 PM

Maybe he's confusing the internet with the earliest electronic computers (the English term would be "valves")? Or maybe he is simply clueless. My wager is on the latter, but we shouldn't complain since we have the best politicians money can buy.

Edited by hornet777, 17 July 2006 - 03:55 PM.

After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#7 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:27 PM

we have the best politicians money can buy

The test for a "honest" politician :- Does he stay bought? .
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#8 Swandog46

Swandog46

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,190 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:39 PM

Does he stay bought?

or she

#9 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 04:24 PM

LOL you guys; I thought I was the cynical one here :)
I had another thought: maybe he meant pneumatic tubes, like at a drive-up bank teller, or inter-office mail delivery? (me just being goofy as usual...)
After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#10 mjc

mjc

• Retired Staff
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 07:41 PM

Well, hornet777, that isn't so far fetched, considering that many department stores had tube systems in the 20s and 30s...
“When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button