7 replies to this topic

#1 Noggie

Noggie

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:06 PM

This is Day Two of having the Meebo Widget on the main page of FlyingHamster. If you haven't noticed it, the widget is in the right hand column. It is a feature that allows text messaging / chat if I am online.

There are so many positives for such a feature. I have been receiving feedback and suggestions, as well as news leads. And, it gives me an idea of what people want from the site. It seems like some people like this way of connecting instantly and receiving a response - and prefer it over having to do an email.

The one major drawback to Meebo is that it drops the connection abruptly and for no apparent reason. I may be in a text discussion with someone or I may be idle. Suddenly, the connection simply vanishes. I hope people do not think I have been rude and simply logged off in the middle of a discussion. Anyway, I see that Meebo has a Forum and other support services. I will try to find some time and wander about to see if I can resolve this problem. For the most part, I like the Meebo concept and I can see that it would provide me with an extraordinary connection to the people who visit FlyingHamster. On the other hand, it is a source of frustration if the connection is not more reliable and consistent.

So here is a question for the people who visit the news site: 'Should Meebo stay or go?'.

Catherine

#2 Chancellor

Chancellor

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:15 AM

So here is a question for the people who visit the news site: 'Should Meebo stay or go?'.

I think it's a nice idea - shame about the connection dropping off occasionally, but I would like to see it stay.

:)
Chancellor

Please consider a donation to help Support SWI
Malware Complaints - Report them here and fight back!
Member of ASAP Since 2006 (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals)
Please read the FAQ and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?".

#3 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:02 PM

sure, keep it! very useful if you spot something that would be a good link for flyinghamster.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#4 Noggie

Noggie

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:20 PM

- and Dave proved his point by sending a terrific link through Meebo. Thanks Dave!

Chancellor, it is nice to see that you are back in the Spywareinfo Forums. I hope the recovery from the accident is progressing well.

Catherine

#5 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,814 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 11:09 PM

I support keeping it 100%!

After trying it out tonight, I fell it's a great way to contact you, Catherine, should any questions or good news links come up.

Is it a free service?

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

#6 Noggie

Noggie

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:11 AM

Screen317, it was good to chat with you via Meebo. - I have been in contact with the Meebo support people. They are quite good about answering their email and they are candid about where they are with the new launch. I am hoping that they can correct the connection problem because there are so many benefits of having that widget on the home page. - The service is free and the FlyingHamster site designer set it up within a few minutes. That set-up part of Meebo seems to be well done. The only issue I have with it is the dropped connections - but I will see if the progress at Meebo corrects the problem.

Thanks for dropping by and saying 'hello'.

Catherine

#7 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,814 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:30 PM

A good chat indeed, Catherine ^_^

I think I convinced my parents enough to spend a little cash on the great sofware deals on FlyingHamster. We'll see how it goes throughout the week. I'll do a few extra chores, just to seal the deal. =D

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

#8 Noggie

Noggie

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:54 AM

One peculiarity with Meebo is that it shows the account as offline when I am there. Then I have to try numerous time to make it connect properly. The connection drops randomly. I will try to remember to check the connection regularly, when I am online. - When it does say that I am online, I think that that is correct. I have yet to see that as showing an error.

ok ... I will stop here. I don't want this to be too confusing. - Meebo does work - sometimes.

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button