Photo

Best or worst antivirus??? - 2 Topics Merged...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 prasanth

prasanth

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 02:16 PM

So here we go again,

This time it's not spyware, adware or trojans! I have been using Norton Antivirus 2005 for sometime and found it to be a resource hog! So, i thought that i would give bit defender a try and downoloaded the trial version and was initially pleased with it. Then i realised that bdss.exe was using up a hell of a lot of memory! It did take it's own sweet time(nearly 53 minutes!) for a full system scan, but i guess because it also scanned for spyware!(it's scanner was not satisfactory!). Then it showed srvany.exe as a threat(i googled and found that it was not a threat! :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: ).

What do i do? Do i just go back to Norton or do any of you have any kind of sugggestions for me? Probably i could upgrade my ram to 512, but i think that bitdefender would still hog resources!!! On the brighter side, the system has been booting quickly! I would trust the valued opinion of this forum. I also know that this is not the kind of topic for this forum(yeah, i know all about bitdefender forums, but i would get an unbiased opinion here!).

PS: i don't think i can recover the file srvany.exe as bitdefender deleted it! Any problems with that? :blink: :!:

#2 SWI Support Robot

SWI Support Robot

Helper robot

• SWI Bot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,533 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:56 AM

Welcome to SWI. We apologize for the delay; our helpers have been very busy.
If you have not received help after 3 days, please post a link to your log in the topic Not getting help with your log? located at http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=48793.

To assure the best advice, it is likely that your helper will want to see an updated HijackThis log. Please post one here in your thread.

Thank you for your patience.

[this is an automated reply]
This is an automated message. It does not count as help.

#3 prasanth

prasanth

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:48 AM

hello once again,
Please read up my topic and i really need your advice about choosing an antivirus package that does not swallow my resources. I've had it with Norton, which has slowed down my system to ridiculous speeds!!! Your assistance required. Thank u! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
http://forums.spywar...h...c=82806&hl=

#4 Jipster

Jipster

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:46 AM

The "my AV is better than yours" debate could possibly turn this post into a multi-page epic :) As long as an AV is doing it's job then it can't really be classed as "bad" but then again there are various degrees of efficiency in doing that job in the first place. As much as some products are resource hogs, some also have a small footprint (demand fewer resources) but aren't as good as doing the job they're supposed to do as they should.

In general a free product will never be as good as most commercial ones because of the sheer fact the commercial one has the funding to dedicate more staff to it's product to improve and support it. Not saying the freebies are naff at all, but perhaps just not as good. They're also mainly a "showcase" for what their commercial product can do with a few extra bells & whistles.

There are independent webby's like Virus Bulletin ( http://www.virusbtn.com - hosted by Sophos, but still independent AFAIK)) that will list what AV's have been awarded a 100% award according to their criteria since their tests began (you will need to register to view the archives but it's free). That gives you an idea of their effectiveness. Obviously the more recent results are more important than ones from years ago, but still gives you an idea of how consistent a product is.

So basically you have 2 choices:

(1) Pay for a decent AV
(2) Use a freeby

If you go for (1) then the top runners are NOD32 & Kaspersky (IMO). I use NOD32 and I have no complaints. When Norton was crippling my PC for the reasons you've already mentioned I uninstalled it, ran the NOD32 demo and it immediately found 2x trojans that Norton was ignoring. Since then it's done what's been asked of it as far as I'm aware and for a 3 year license it even worked out cheaper than nearly all other offerings and OMG is my PC so much quicker.

If you go for (2) then build up a layered defence. This is 100% worth doing anyway if you go for (1) but I'd say more so if you go for (2), that's if you can get higher than 100% - I last did maths at school a LONG time ago ;).

The layered defence is a topic in itself so that's just my thoughts on AV's. Performance, price & effectiveness should all count in your final decision really, and seeing as it's your PC you want to protect then that's the only decision that matters.

#5 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:13 PM

Quote: "...build up a layered defence"

this is the way to go, unhesitatingly. the malware milieu is changing, and scanners are becoming increasingly ineffective. This strategy will take quite a bit of effort on the user's part however, primarily in educating oneself on the contexts involved, and then keeping up with them, as the situation changes (which it will). Only from there can anyone make an informed decision as to what actual products to use, and this only after much trial and error.
After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#6 prasanth

prasanth

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 12:30 PM

First of all... ThANK u For the reply! Truly, this forum is the best! Yes, Jipster and hornet 777, the debate for the best antivirus will only rage on and people will have different opinions. I am still trying out the bit defender suite and it's not so bad(my system has speeded up!). HOwever, what exactly do you mean when u say layered defence? you're telling me that i should get different products? a good antivirus suite, a malware protector and a firewall? But when i do that, won't my memory go haywire handling so many different products??? :alarm:

But i guess you guys are correct :rolleyes: . Anyway, please give me freebie suggestions and their pros and cons. My system has:
1. Spyware Blaster(recommended by your forum! good ad blocker) and spybot(not so bad!)
2. Bit-defender(trial and my present antivirus)

Now, tell me the best free antivirus, malware\spyware detector and free firewall(too many freees, eh!). Of course, i understand their disadvantages also so PleaSe tell me that also!Thanx :cool: :cool: :cool:

#7 tsitraveler

tsitraveler

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:58 AM

Jipster gave you some good direction in that thread.

I'm partial to Nod32, myself.

Here's a link to wilders. You can find the support forum for nod32 there.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/

#8 prasanth

prasanth

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 01:32 PM

Jipster gave you some good direction in that thread.

I'm partial to Nod32, myself.

Here's a link to wilders. You can find the support forum for nod32 there.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/

Thank you and i'm trying it out right now! it seems to be okay! Cheers :cool: :D. I will close this topic with this post! It sure was nice of you to try and help me out! Bye for now! :lol: :p :wave:

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button