• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mjp65aa

mjp65aa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 07:27 PM

I am mostly just a lurker here. I have learned a great deal. Mostly I use my PC for fun. I knew I would get spyware with the free wink downloads, but I could not beleive how much. I had over 400 infections from a few downloads. All were removed safely with Adware and SpybotSD and the winks remained. The sheer number of infections made me think this post was worth while as a FYI...
mjp65

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Forum Deity

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 09:07 PM

Just curious where the download was from and was it MSN Winks Plus 4.01. softpedia says you can have a trial version but after that, it's $20 to buy

You might want to report your findings here:
http://www.softpedia...ware/10-4-5-106

Thanks for any and all information :)

Jacee

MS MVP Windows-Security 2006~2016

#3 mjp65aa

mjp65aa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:01 PM

Jacee,

I am posting the links below as requested (delete at will). I editied them to make them unclickable. Beware the downloads on the pages will infect your PC with crapware.

I downloaded from two different sites. The first was:

hxxp://www.sherv.net/MSN-Winks.html

This was a single download that added about 15 winks to "my winks." This added about ten infections to my PC. Spybot SD and Adaware removed the infections and the winks remained and work fine.

The second was:

hxxp://www.free-winks.com/

Each wink is a different download. I downloaded about ten winks. These downloads completely infested my PC -- at least 400 infections. Spybot SD and Adaware removed the infections and the winks remained and work fine.

I did not report them as you suggested because I only have a vague idea what is within or against the law.

Just curious where the download was from and was it MSN Winks Plus 4.01. softpedia says you can have a trial version but after that, it's $20 to buy

You might want to report your findings here:
http://www.softpedia...ware/10-4-5-106

Thanks for any and all information  :)

Jacee

View Post

Edited by mjp65aa, 26 September 2005 - 01:06 PM.

mjp65

#4 knickers71uk

knickers71uk

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 03:23 AM

if you look at the download, which I did, you will see that in order to download the wink you have to actually agree to having a small spyware toolbar installed onto your machine in order to download the wink.

Its my small suggestion, that perhaps you read things properley before installing them! :D

#5 mjp65aa

mjp65aa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 04:46 AM

if you look at the download, which I did, you will see that in order to download the wink you have to actually agree to having a small spyware toolbar installed onto your machine in order to download the wink.

Its my small suggestion, that perhaps you read things properley before installing them! :D

View Post

knickers71uk,

I did read and I did know I was getting spyware, as I said in my original post. I knew I would get malware with the winks and that I could remove the crap and keep what I wanted safely. I posted to help and inform others. What was the point of your post?
mjp65

#6 mikie

mikie

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 03:55 PM

The winks from sherv will always contain adaware!! This is how they make there money!..They sell your information.
Very few malaware or spyware free wink packages exist!
If you want winks either use "msn winks" which u must poay for or go here
Werhere Design Forums you can download spyware free zip folder containing over 290 clean and free winks in mco format in the general section.. :p

Happy Winking :D

#7 Matthuffy

Matthuffy

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 05:54 PM

Then if you want better ones that are completely spy ware free (as our forum is actually about and against spyware) you can get every wink and other goodies at:

http://www.matthuffy...ld.com/ipbforum

obviously you will have to post a few posts before you can download, but when you do it is worth it.

just look at our content

http://www.matthuffy...download_engine

You will be happy :)

Edited by Matthuffy, 05 November 2005 - 05:54 PM.

#8 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 07:18 PM

Thank you for the warning, mjp65aa.

People, I hope it goes without saying that none of the sites mentioned above are endorsed or recommended by SpywareInfo. You are on your own.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#9 mjp65aa

mjp65aa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 02:04 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the alternative sites for Winks. I downloaded the pack with almost 300 winks. I was only able to install the MCO files with the help of a downloader program from one of the other packages, but I was able to get them all working, and now have many more than anybody could want, lol. thanks!
mjp65

#10 WinHelp2002

WinHelp2002

Taking back the Internet

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,365 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 06:45 PM

mjp65aa,

I tested the downloads from "sherv.net" via VirusTotal and there were all "adware infected" (180Solutions, NewDotNet, etc.) however the downloads from the 2nd site tested clean ...

:rant:
Downloading "adware infected" files from known adware bundlers, then using whatever Anti-Spyware program you are using is a bad idea ... sooner or later you'll get infected with something you will be unable to clean.
Mike
Former Microsoft MVP Posted Image 1999-2012
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"
Posted Image
Blocking Malware, Parasites, Hijackers, Trojans, http://www.mvps.org/...p2002/hosts.htm with a HOSTS file

#11 mjp65aa

mjp65aa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 06:19 PM

WinHelp2002,

Thanks for the information. I know it was not a good idea. I was just use my PC for entertainment. I do not mind getting infected, and then learning how to remove the infections. A while back, that was how I found this forum, and the wealth of infromation I learned through it. If I have to format my PC and start from stratch, I would not mind doing that. If the PC was not my own, if others used it, or I had business files kept on it, I would agree.

mjp65aa,

I tested the downloads from "sherv.net" via VirusTotal and there were all "adware infected" (180Solutions, NewDotNet, etc.) however the downloads from the 2nd site tested clean ...

:rant:
Downloading "adware infected" files from known adware bundlers, then using whatever Anti-Spyware program you are using is a bad idea ... sooner or later you'll get infected with something you will be unable to clean.

mjp65

#12 bambambam

bambambam

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 11:41 PM

I am mostly just a lurker here. I have learned a great deal. Mostly I use my PC for fun. I knew I would get spyware with the free wink downloads, but I could not beleive how much. I had over 400 infections from a few downloads. All were removed safely with Adware and SpybotSD and the winks remained. The sheer number of infections made me think this post was worth while as a FYI...

Cool !! :lol:
I don't have the courage to do that on my one and only PC.

#13 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 10:43 AM

Just to make the point perfectly clear, deliberately infecting your PC, for whatever reason, and relying on being able to clean it again, is not courageous, it is extremely unwise. Nor do I particularly think it is 'cool' to have to pick up the pieces when someone tries to do it and fails, which I have had to do in the past. There is plenty of information around on Spyware-free alternatives to infected programs, and if you are not sure, the 'Spywatch' forum here is the place to ask. Re-formatting is not an easy option for most people, and by far the best course of action is never to allow yourself to get infected in the first place.
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#14 akor

akor

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:40 AM

does anybody know, free winks blog there are also spyware with winks?

Edit to disable link to malware site...

Edited by Budfred, 27 August 2006 - 09:29 AM.

#15 mjp65aa

mjp65aa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 11:14 AM

azazelka,

For the record, you are wrong. Lots of Malware with that download.

Edited by mjp65aa, 01 January 2006 - 11:15 AM.

mjp65

#16 XBoT

XBoT

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for the information. I know it was not a good idea. I was just use my PC for entertainment. I do not mind getting infected, and then learning how to remove the infections.

You use your PC for entertainment. I'm assuming you play games online? If this is the case, then delibrately allowing your PC to become infected with spyware, and then turning around and playing online games with that same PC is kind of like walking into a nursing home with a fever.

Here's how online games work: your PC uses the IPs of other PCs identify them on the network or server upon which your game is taking place. This allows the game to identify who is under what player ID, among other things. Spyware and adware tend to go after things like IPs so that their owners can scum up those PCs with the same junk they sicked you with. And with all those IPs on the same network... :eek:

Spyware is not something anyone should take lightly. It's the key reason we have sites like this one.

Edited by XBoT, 01 January 2006 - 05:01 PM.

#17 mjp65aa

mjp65aa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 04:11 PM

Thanks for the information. I know it was not a good idea. I was just use my PC for entertainment. I do not mind getting infected, and then learning how to remove the infections.

You use your PC for entertainment. I'm assuming you play games online? If this is the case, then delibrately allowing your PC to become infected with spyware, and then turning around and playing online games with that same PC is kind of like walking into a nursing home with a fever.

Here's how online games work: your PC uses the IPs of other PCs identify them on the network or server upon which your game is taking place. This allows the game to identify who is under what player ID, among other things. Spyware and adware tend to go after things like IPs so that their owners can scum up those PCs with the same junk they sicked you with. And with all those IPs on the same network... :eek:

Spyware is not something anyone should take lightly. It's the key reason we have sites like this one.

XBoT;

I seen where I wrote I allow my PC to get infected because I do not mind learning how to remove the infection. I did not see where I wrote I infect my PC, then continue to use it for any and all purposes? My first bad experience with an infection caused me to seek and and learn form this site and other like-minded sites. I am now vigilent in removing all malware from my PC ASAP. I am also a curious person who likes to learn through exeperience. I also am willing to take calculated risks. I think your post was mis informed and misdirected.

Edited by mjp65aa, 03 January 2006 - 02:43 PM.

mjp65

#18 XBoT

XBoT

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 07:19 PM

Sorry. I didn't mean to offend or anything. Either I didn't read that well (*kicks self*) or you didn't say anything. Either way, yeah, I was a bit misinformed. :oops:

#19 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,523 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:04 AM

Posts by azazelka and his/her other identity have been removed from this forum because they were determined to be SPAM that directs to infected files... A post by mikie was also removed since it quoted one of posts with a link in it...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button