• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mandie

Mandie

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 05:46 PM

I'm not sure why the icon is not on my computer anymore when I go to control panel but does anyone how how I can get it back?

#2 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,026 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:21 AM

Hello,

Open notepad and copy and paste next present in the quotebox below in it:
(don't forget to copy and paste REGEDIT4)

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Uninstall]
"NoAddRemovePrograms"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Uninstall]
"NoAddRemovePrograms"=-

Save this as fix.reg Choose to save as *all files and place it on your desktop.
It should look like this: Posted Image
Doubleclick on it and when it asks you if you want to merge the contents to the registry, click yes/ok.
(In case you are unsure how to create a reg file, take a look here with screenshots.)

Let me know if that solved your problem.
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow!---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

#3 Mandie

Mandie

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:31 AM

Hmm, I did everything correctly and it said the information has been successfully entered into the registry, but there's still no icon for the add/remove hardware in the control panel. There's only an icon that says 'Add Hardware'.

#4 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,026 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:54 AM

Aaah,
I thought you meant the add/remove icon (software), not the add/remove hardware icon.

In XP, the icon is called "Hardware", or "Add Hardware", and not "add/remove hardware" (guess it's called like that on Windows 2000). So you say that "Add hardware" is there, so you are ok here and not missing any icons :)
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow!---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

#5 Mandie

Mandie

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:19 AM

Oh, what I meant was there was an icon in the control panel before that said add/remove and it shows the programs on your computer and you just use it to uninstall programs. Like I downloaded the recent MSN messenger which I don't really want on my computer anymore and to uninstall it, I would just go to the add/remove icon, find the program in the list, and remove/uninstall it from there.

#6 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,026 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:38 AM

Now you are confusing me.... First you say add/remove hardware, but I thought Add/remove programs, then you said again add/remove hardware and now you are saying that the add/remove programs icon is missing?
What icon do you think you are missing?

Edit, do you have this icon in controlpanel? Attached File  addremove.gif   2.33KB   87 downloads

On english OS, it is called Add and remove programs. On other OS, it can be called different. In my case (dutch OS), it is called "Software".

#7 Mandie

Mandie

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 02:37 PM

Sorry for the confusion! I don't have that icon in the control panel and it is called 'Add/Remove Programs'.

#8 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,026 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 02:56 PM

First, try the following..
Go to start > run and copy and paste next command in the field:

regsvr32 appwiz.cpl

Hit enter.

Then, can you look in your C:\Windows\system32-folder if next files exists?

appwiz.cpl

If so, doubleclick and let me know if it opens your add/remove programs.
In case it doesn't open add/remove programs, then it may be damaged and may need to be replaced. Or in case it is missing, it needs to get replaced as well.

So let me know if that appwiz.cpl is present and if it opens your add/remove programs when you doubleclick it.

#9 Mandie

Mandie

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 05:47 PM

When I tried copying 'regsvr32 appwiz.cpl' and running it, it said 'LoadLibrary("appwiz.cpl") failed - the specified module could not be found'. I also couldn't find 'appwiz.cpl' in the system32 folder.

#10 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,026 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:33 AM

Well, that explains your problem.. your appwiz.cpl is missing and that's why you don't have that icon anymore.

Let's take a look if there are other copies of appwiz.cpl on your system so you can copy it to your system32 folder, so perform next:

Open notepad and copy and paste next present in the quotebox in it:

dir /s C:\appwiz.cpl >> look.txt
start notepad look.txt

Save this as look.bat , choose to save as *all files and place it on your desktop.
It should look like this: Posted Image
Doubleclick on it and it will start to scan your computer. Then notepad should open.
Copy and paste the contents of it in your next reply.
(In case you are unsure how to create a bat file, take a look here with screenshots.)

#11 Mandie

Mandie

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:06 AM

Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 10A1-D0B7

#12 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,026 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:00 PM

Ok, no copies in your case, not even in dllcache.

I've taken a look at all the previous topics you started (quite a lot)- and I remember I helped you before as well with your hijackthislog. I still see that your Windows is unpatched, no Service Pack 1 either, which makes me think that you most probably don't have your original XP cd?
Because to replace that file, you need your original XP cd to extract it from. That's the only way to do this.
In case you have your original XP cd, go to start > run and copy and paste next command in the field: sfc.exe /scannow
Hit enter.
It will ask for your original cd to replace the file.

In case you don't have your XP cd, get the appwiz.cpl from another computer with Windows XP installed and place it in your C:\Windows\System32-folder.

But actually, it's not a real disaster you have your appwiz.cpl missing. You can always uninstall your programs with another tool.
For example "Safarp 5.0", which you can download from here: http://wistinga.online.fr/
Once you've installed it, it will create the add/remove icon in your controlpanel (in Classic View) but will called "Safarp" now.
it does the same as add/remove programs when you use it.

#13 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,026 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:40 PM

Extra remark.. I've went through your other threads you posted..

You really should get a genuine version of XP though -- because as you've noticed, you are not able to update. And without these security patches, your system is extremely vulnerable. Even the best antivirus and firewall won't protect you. And that also explains why you get infected every month (I see you posted a log almost every month)
Also, be more careful while surfing, because I see from the previous logs that you're not really afraid to visit dubious sites. You are really playing with fire in that case - especially on your unpatched OS.
Keep in mind, malware damages -- and what has been damaged can not always be repaired.

So I really hope you will be more careful next time :)

#14 Mandie

Mandie

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:13 PM

Yeah, I know. The thing is, I checked around on how much it is to buy a genuine copy and it was at least $100 and I don't have the money for it. I have a Windows XP CD but it's like a burned copy on a blank disk. My brother is actually the one who put all the parts to my computer together so I didn't go to a computer store and buy the whole tower.

#15 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,026 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:49 PM

That's ok.... Just be very careful while surfing the web. And whenever you can afford to buy a genuine version... don't hesitate. :)

Add/remove fixed now? Did you use that alternative program I gave you to link to?

#16 Mandie

Mandie

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:34 PM

Yeah, the add/remove thing is fixed now. The alternate version works fine. Thanks!

#17 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,026 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:58 PM

You're welcome :)

#18 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,026 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 03:36 AM

Since this issue appears resolved ... this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please tell the moderating team by replying here
This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button