8 replies to this topic

#1 Countess

Countess

Just me

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:23 PM

Hi,

I don't think I have a firewall on my computer and was hoping someone could let me know which one would be the best to get.

I have a Norton thingy which I don't really understand and is supposed to do everything but I want to make sure I have a nice firewall to keep me safe.

I have looked at some posts here and I know everyone will like different ones - It doesn't have to be a free one (my dad will buy one for me) but I would still like to know what is safest or best or cuddliest or whatever :lol:

Tankoo ^_^
Charlotte

#2 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 03:11 PM

Windows has one built in, but many say its not the best. Other than that, they are realy about the same in regard of function, so I'd choose based upon ease of use, and/or lack of bloat (either memory or disk space). You can try several and see for yourself which you like best, preferably with Dad's assistance.

(Never thought about the "cuddle factor" in security software before; Countess may be onto something!) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#3 silence351

silence351

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:53 PM

There's a list of popular firewalls here,both free and commercial:
http://www.bleepingc...rial60.html#pop
In this tutorial:
http://www.bleepingc...tutorial60.html

#4 Countess

Countess

Just me

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:37 PM

(Never thought about the "cuddle factor" in security software before; Countess may be onto something!) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Thanks for your advice Hornet777, the Norton thingy that came with my PC is very complicated and has to have rules set up for inbound this and outbound that and I don't understand much about it all. So I will try out a few and see which is cuddliest ^_^

Hi silence351, wow that's a great link, loads of stuff to read and I even understand lots of it, I'll try a few downloads and see which I prefer.

Tankoo both muchly ^_^
Charlotte

#5 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 03:35 PM

In regard of firewalls Countess, the most important thing is that it is configured correctly, which means that one must have a basic understanding of what's going on, and which (unfortunately) means a low cuddle factor is the best in terms of security. That's why Dad should probably be present, at least for installation and configuration. The good thing is that once the initial configuration is set, little further intervention is typically needed.

Then, there's always the forum, which you shold use liberally in case of any questions you might have. All the best.
After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#6 silence351

silence351

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:55 PM

Also,if you have Norton Internet Security Suite,you might already have a firewall.If you have NIS,this should work to check your firewall:

If you have Symantec's Norton Internet Security, perform the following steps:Right-click the Norton Internet Security icon in the system tray, and then click Open Norton Internet Security to check if Personal Firewall is "On" or "Off" under System Status.

http://support.dell....fIHaveAFirewall

If you do have a firewall already,you shouldn't run two software firewalls at the same time.If you download another one,you should disable the firewall you already have,if present.(after you run it by your dad first :) .)

Cheers. :wave:

#7 Countess

Countess

Just me

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 01:21 AM

Hi,

I do have Norton Internet Security on my laptop and the firewall was set to OFF. I have changed it to ON and dad and I spent ages going through the diferent settings and I think it is ok now :unsure:

I still think it is really complicated though and want to try some of the others to see if they are simpler, so we are going to try at the weekend and see which one we like best.

I promise to make sure I only have one switched on at the same time though and will ask if I get stuck.

Tankoo both for being so helpful ^_^

Edited by Countess, 26 September 2006 - 01:22 AM.

Charlotte

#8 Noggie

Noggie

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 02:54 AM

Countess,

At home, I have the additional protection of a router. Perhaps you might want to look on Google about how a router provides security.

Noggie

#9 Countess

Countess

Just me

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 01:31 AM

Tankoo ^_^
Charlotte

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button