Windows XP Firewall

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mikel1037

Mikel1037

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 01:57 PM

First of all, I am first time poster, I hope I am correct in starting a new topic.

My ISP, Cox DSL has a free security suite, I am as safe as I would be with, say, AVG? Also after reading some of the post I see that most reccomend better fire wall than what comes with XP.... Do I uninstall the firewall, or just turn it off? I know that you should not run more that one at a time? Any comments or advise would be great. Thanks for a great forum.

Thank you

Mike

#2 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 02:37 PM

Certainly, get a better firewall than WinXP native one. if your ISP provides one, then download and use it, otherwise, I suggest Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall, which is free for personal use. Just turn off the Windows firewall. There is no way of uninstalling it.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#3 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,532 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:18 PM

The Windows firewall will generally turn itself off when you install another firewall... It may ask you if you want it to block certain features of the other firewall and I would tell it to unblock...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#4 Mikel1037

Mikel1037

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:01 AM

Thank you ..... I did install zone alarm, but it blocked my anti Virus protection. So I had to uninstall. I was not able to find settings to allow my anti virus.

#5 Mikel1037

Mikel1037

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:22 AM

Certainly, get a better firewall than WinXP native one. if your ISP provides one, then download and use it, otherwise, I suggest Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall, which is free for personal use. Just turn off the Windows firewall. There is no way of uninstalling it.

Thanks....I downloaded Kerio Personal firewall.

Thank you again for the great help.

#6 daveydoom

daveydoom

Sounding the crack of doom for malware

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:50 AM

I'd be wary of the suite your ISP provides. The one offered by Bell Sympatico here in Ontario is a resource hog. They also charge you approx $5 a month for it. That's not to say they're all like that but it's something to be aware of.

The programs that are recommended here at this forum are well known and proven. Can the same be said about this other suite? :) Being unknown doesn't make them any less effective, it just means there's no way to know how well they will work for you.

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#7 samm

samm

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:56 AM

I have heard so much about the built in Windows XP firewall being not suitable to protect us from malware and other threats, in such circumstances I notice that after upgrading my system with Service PAck 2 there is already a security center which does not let me rest in peace if I turn the firewall off. Now most of the other firewalls that are third party come at a premium price, so is there any other way out of this?

#8 Indrid_Cold

Indrid_Cold

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 07:03 AM

Greetings samm
Did you review the other posts in this thread. Two very well respected ones are mentioned. Both are free for personal use.
Hope is not a method.

If I have helped in some way, please consider donating to SpywareInfo's crusade against Malware See Here

Member of ASAP since 2004 Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals
Member of UNITE since 2006 United Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Fight back Malware Complaints

#9 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:39 PM

greetings samm
It is possible to stop the warnings from the security center, PRODVIDED that you have installed both a firewall, and an anti virus. go to Start> run, and enter the command "services.msc" ( without the quotes) Sroll down the list of services to find the security center entry, then right click it, and select properties. then stop the service, and set the startup type to disabled. Ok your way out. No more warnings!
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#10 Artem85

Artem85

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:01 PM

Yes I use Outpost Firewall good progrm. Very very good
[url=///url]

Edit to disable link...

Edited by Budfred, 12 April 2007 - 04:39 PM.

#11 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,532 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:37 PM

Yes I use Outpost Firewall good progrm. Very very good
[url=//kudapoyti.ua/ url]

Edit to disable link...

Please explain what that link is for and if you posted for any other reason than to promote it... We do not appreciate SPAMming in this forum...

Edit: Never mind... I see you recently joined a bunch of unrelated forums apparently so that you could post that link... Bye-bye...

Edited by Budfred, 12 April 2007 - 04:45 PM.

Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button