Noggie

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:57 PM

To: Members of the Spywareinfo Community
Date: Wednesday, October 25, 2006

I wanted to inform the people on this forum about a personal issue. On the first occasion of taking over for Mike Healan this year, I received some threatening email. Now, on the second occasion of assuming Spywareinfo responsibilities upon Mike's absence, the threating mail has increased in frequency and in nastiness. Therefore, I have taken steps to address this with the authorities - and I have taken additional steps for my own security.

I bring this up for one reason. Many of you write to me at my email address at Spywareinfo. What you write to me is no longer private. I want to make that absolutely clear. Your mail to me is no longer private and may be subject to scrutiny.

I think that many of you know that this is not the first intimidation that Spywareinfo has undergone. There have been previous threats and denial of service (DDOS) attacks. And Spywareinfo is still here. - I just wanted you to know about this present tactic and I will send out mailings to several groups in the security community about this.

My perspective on this is that this place must be doing 'something right', if some individuals are trying to intimidate me. For those who know me, you understand full well that they have crossed the wrong person. I will be relentless on this.

The fun never stops around here...

Catherine

#2 Indrid_Cold

Indrid_Cold

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:38 AM

Disturbing news to say the least. A pity that scum won't just confine itself to ponds. Stay safe Noggie.
Hope is not a method.

If I have helped in some way, please consider donating to SpywareInfo's crusade against Malware See Here

Member of ASAP since 2004 Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals
Member of UNITE since 2006 United Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Fight back Malware Complaints

#3 Noggie

Noggie

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:56 PM

Indrid - thanks! And thanks to all that have sent me a note - each is much appreciated.

I want to address something that is coming through in some of the emails and chat room discussions. It is the attitude that Mike Healan should 'pull up his socks and go back to managing his own site' type sentiment. I realize that some of this comes from people wishing for Mike's input - and I know that I do not have Mike's skill set. However, this site always has been more than one single person. It is a collective of people who are willing to help. We must keep that focus.

And, I think that there is some misunderstanding ongoing. Mike Healan is fighting depression. I suspect that this has been a pervasive factor for many years. Many think that depression is an excuse - so much psychobabble that belongs with 'new age chanting'. I, for one, disagree. It is a debilitating illness. I think it can be best explained by this eloquent piece from Chris Rose, a reporter for The Times-Picayune:

link: http://www.nola.com/...d....xml&coll=1

I really urge all to read it, in order to understand the darkness of depression - and to know how real it is. Please take a few moments and read this article. It is exceptional writing.

It is not breaking a confidence to say that Mike is battling depression. I think that there would not be any of these 'pull-up-your-socks' comments if he had a heart condition or some such physical malady. Depression is no less real - and I know that Mike will come through this. I have absolutely no doubt about that.

Meanwhile, we carry on. Assigning blame is a pointless and a waste of time. We have good things to do here - and yes, I will be careful.

Catherine

#4 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:47 PM

That piece by Chris Rose is a very good description. Never had depression, but several of my friend have, and that describes it very well.
While I would like to think that Mike was back in charge, I have no doubts that you will do a sterling job, Noggie.
On the threats you have received, it looks as if you are doing something right! Take care anyway.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#5 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:36 PM

So, if Mr Healon had cancer or whatever else, would these same 'critics' still urge him to somehow "buck up"?

Clearly Mr healon is taking care of his problems.

Two words in rebuttal for the whiners: back off. This includes Noggie.
After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#6 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,426 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:50 PM

So, if Mr Healon had cancer or whatever else, would these same 'critics' still urge him to somehow "buck up"?

Clearly Mr healon is taking care of his problems.

Two words in rebuttal for the whiners: back off. This includes Noggie.

I am not sure how you see Noggie being one of the "whiners"... She is being personally attacked for her role at SWI and struggling to keep the site going... Do you consider revealing that information to be whining?? She is clearly not attacking Mike or doing anything else that appears to be whining behavior to me... On the other hand, you seem to be joining the ranks of people who unnecessarily attack her for her efforts...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#7 Indrid_Cold

Indrid_Cold

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:28 PM

Even if that were true hornet777, Noggie, quite unlike the rest, would have earned that right.
Hope is not a method.

If I have helped in some way, please consider donating to SpywareInfo's crusade against Malware See Here

Member of ASAP since 2004 Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals
Member of UNITE since 2006 United Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Fight back Malware Complaints

#8 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 03:21 AM

Thanks for your post Noggie, and for all your efforts, which are greatly appreciated, by me anyway! Sorry to hear about the threats, but at least we're upsetting the right people, and it's good to know you are taking steps to keep yourself safe. Thanks once again to yourself, and everyone else involved in keeping this site alive, and giving me a vehicle to carry on upsetting scumbags.
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#9 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,413 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 03:38 AM

Since much of what is behind malware is making money based off their illicit activities, if they're upset, they aren't making as much as they might off the ignorance of others, which means we're succeeding. It's unfortunate that an indication of success is to be personally threatened.

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#10 njustice

njustice

Advanced Member

• Helper
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 06:18 AM

I hope whoever is making these threats are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and may Divine Justice step in and protect you Noggie. One of my favorite sayings is "what comes around, goes around" and I sure hope it does.

I am not sure how you see Noggie being one of the "whiners"... She is being personally attacked for her role at SWI and struggling to keep the site going... Do you consider revealing that information to be whining?? She is clearly not attacking Mike or doing anything else that appears to be whining behavior to me... On the other hand, you seem to be joining the ranks of people who unnecessarily attack her for her efforts...

Yeah...some clarification is in order..... :wtf:
Please don't ask for help on computer issues by email or Private Message (PM). Keep questions and answers in the forums....help others to learn.

Hijack This Guide --- Ad-Aware --- CWShredder --- HijackThis --- Spybot

Zone Alarm Firewall --- Spywareblaster

How to Go into Safe Mode --- Show Hidden Files --- Peper Trojan Removal Tool

Changing the Hosts File: Keep the Popup Parasites Off --- Turn Off/On Windows XP System Restore

Turn Off Unnecessary XP Services (XP with Service Pack 2) (recommend SAFE configuration)

ASAP Proud member since 2004 Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals

My sites: Pctorium | AmazingDezigns

#11 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:29 AM

No way, guys; not what I meant at all. Just meant that peeps need to lay off Noggie and Mr Healon.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. :wub:

Since much of what is behind malware is making money based off their illicit activities, if they're upset, they aren't making as much as they might off the ignorance of others, which means we're succeeding. It's unfortunate that an indication of success is to be personally threatened.

yep

Edited by hornet777, 29 October 2006 - 10:31 AM.

After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#12 Crow

Crow

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 11:16 AM

Well, I have been around here for quite some time. Long enough to know that it takes the help of several people to keep this site going. I have seen alot of people come and go, unfortunately. Noggie has been here as long as I can remember being here. I wasnt aware, however, that Nogg's has stepped in on Mikes behalf. I dont know how many of you know what all Noggie has "on her plate"..so to speak. But I can guarantee you shes one busy woman. I, personally, can not think of more capable person in which to do this "job" than Catherine however I know its got to take its toll. Mikes "skill set" is somewhat unique, by that I mean unto himself. Mike is GOOD at what he does, to the point that its second nature for him (in my opinion). Nogg's, on the other hand, has more passion for what she does than I have ever seen in any one person and let me tell you...she works hard. While I know we all wish nothing but the very best for Mike, I believe that he has one less thing to worry about with Nogg's at the helm.

Nogg's.. dont let'm get to you.. you just keep on keep'n on. You have lots of support.

Mike, you take care of yourself, hope to see you soon.

Randy

#13 Kirstin

Kirstin

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 04:50 PM

Hi Noggie,

I haven't been able to get here much lately so I missed this post.

Sorry to read that you are having so many problems, but hope that you are alright?

Kirstin ^_^

Member of

Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button
PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!