#1 Gary_V

Gary_V

a.k.a. FastLearner

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 04:37 AM

Hello friends,

can someone please tell me where in my control panel I can change whether I would like to view my topics' posts in reverse chronological order (from top to bottom), or vice-versa?

I thought it was under Board Settings, but I can't seem to find the option I'm looking for.

Thanks.
To err is human--and to blame it on a computer is even more so.

-Robert Orben

A must read: How I got Infected in the First Place

Online Virus and Trojan Scanners
Panda Software . . . Trend Micro . . . Bitdefender . . . Sygate Trojan Scan . . . Trojan Scan

Tools for Fighting Spyware
Spybot S & D . . . Ad-aware . . . CWShredder . . . HijackThis . . . PeperFix

Tools for Prevention
SpywareBlaster . . . SpywareGuard . . . IE-Spyad . . . avast! Free Anti-Virus . . . AVG Free Anti-Virus
Zone Alarm Free Firewall . . . Kerio Personal Firewall

Help support SWI! Click here to learn how.

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:02 AM

I don't believe there is such a setting for members. The order is set by Admin and is the same for all. Posts within a topic are always shown in chronological order.

Are you thinking of order of topics? When viewing a forum you can specify the order of topics, via options at the bottom of the page, but there is no persistent choice.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 Gary_V

Gary_V

a.k.a. FastLearner

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:53 AM

I don't believe there is such a setting for members.

Well I guess that explains why I couldn't find the setting then :rofl:

I was actually thinking of posts within a topic. For example, if a single topic has 5 pages of posts, I'd like to see the newest post first when I open the topic (on page 1), instead of seeing the first post on page 1 (which is often very old).

Now that I think about some more, maybe that wouldn't always be such a good idea, though. For instance, in some threads, particularly in boot camp, seeing the first post of a topic definitely has its advantages, since it is the one that is constantly being updated. So I guess being able to pick and choose would only be a good option if you could select it per thread - which would probably be more trouble than it is worth :rolleyes:

It probably isn't an option, as you say, and if it is the same for everyone, then it is all right with me. I belong to one other forum in which you can select your view to be chronological or reverse chronological, which is why I thought this board may have the same option...

Thanks once again for the clear up, cnm. I always appreciate your valuable time. :thumbsup:

:wave:

-Robert Orben

Panda Software . . . Trend Micro . . . Bitdefender . . . Sygate Trojan Scan . . . Trojan Scan

Tools for Prevention
SpywareBlaster . . . SpywareGuard . . . IE-Spyad . . . avast! Free Anti-Virus . . . AVG Free Anti-Virus

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,567 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:26 AM

If you are clicking on a link in an email notification, it should take you to the post following the last post you viewed in that topic...

If you are clicking on a link in a forum menu, click on the "Last post by:" link next to the username of the last person who posted and it will take you to the last post in the topic... you may have to scroll back up if there have been several posts since you last viewed the topic...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#5 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:35 AM

Or you can always jump to the end by clicking ADDREPLY.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#6 Gary_V

Gary_V

a.k.a. FastLearner

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:47 AM

Thanks guys (and gals!),

This is some useful info. I have E-mail notification turned off, however, since I'm always online anyway and check my control panel much quicker than I can download and read E-mail... Perhaps I will turn it on for the threads in which I am helping a victim.

Budfred, the Last post by: feature is fantastic when browsing around through the forums. But for malware threads, I tend to open about 80% of the threads from the "My Topics" part of the control panel, which for some strange reason doesn't offer the Last Post by: feature. If it did, it would be exactly the feature that I was looking for when I started this thread... :D

Thanks to you all for your assistance.

-Robert Orben

Tools for Prevention

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button