Noggie

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:56 PM

To: Members of the Spywareinfo Community
Date: November 15, 2006

As many people know, it is my approach to give site updates, while Mike Healan is unavailable. This is one of those update; however, this posting has been vetted several times by my legal counsel. It will become obvious why this was/is necessary, as I outline the situation here.

One of the products that Spywareinfo recommends is X-Cleaner. It is an excellent product and has been a supplier for Spywareinfo for a number of years. Mike Healan has it set up whereby the buyer pays him through his Paypal account and he sends out the download information plus the registration code. People have been buying the program and paying into the Paypal account that Mike Healan has. Unfortunately, he has not been sending out the registration codes.

The result is angry people who have paid and received nothing. - I am trying to rectify this horrid situation. The people at X-Cleaner (Wayne Porter and his colleagues) have been just excellent with me. I could not ask for better assistance in a trying time.

Personally, I am not handling this well. - I will be perfectly frank with you that this has caused me enormous stress. I do not have access to the main site to change the links. No one has that information except Mike Healan and the hosting service. The hosting service has been contacted. And, I have people standing by to modify the links, if I have access to the controls. Why I do not have control of the site parameters is that this is the way Mike Healan has chosen to safeguard the security of the site. And, of course, I do not have access to the Paypal account or the funds therein.

One of my main functions here at Spywareinfo has been to promote the sale of recommended products and keep the site as a free resource for the internet community. Now, however, when there is a sale of the X-Cleaner product, I become physically ill. It is just a mess - and this takes enormous chunks of my time and energies. Furthermore, because of the need for legal counsel, this is an unwanted and unwelcomed financial drain. However, I have no intentions of being involved in legal entanglements as a result of conduct by another individual. - Attempts have been make to contact Mike Healan through the phones, email and registered mail. None have been successful. I am three times zones away or I would knock on his door.

For those of you who have known me over the years, you know that this is not how I conduct business. My name being linked to this behaviour is abhorrent to me. - To any people who have purchased X-Cleaner and not received the registration code, please contact me. I have a means of checking payment and I will correct the problem, as expediently as humanly possible. And you have my sincere apologies for the delay that you are experiencing. You will receive a product code - you have my promise on that. This problem should not reflect upon X-Cleaner, in any manner whatsoever.

I may be contacted through this link: http://www.spywareinfo.com/email2.php

The need for donations at FlyingHamster never has been greater. To those who assist at this site, I make the personal request that you mention to those we help to consider a donation to support the site. Please ask that the donation be made at FlyingHamster ( http://flyinghamster.com/ ). Products can be purchased at FlyingHamster. And if someone wants X-Cleaner, please contact me first and I will provide you specific instructions.

In closing, I want to say that this note has been vetted and heavily edited. I am told to be careful in what I say as this matter moves forward. However, many of you know me well enough to know what I would like to say... and I will leave it at that, for now.

Catherine

#2 therock247uk

therock247uk

247fixes.com

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:10 PM

Noggie I know the hole SWI situation is causing you alot of strees you told me earlyer. I think its time to just let SWI go its causing you stress and its now causing legal problems I think its time for SWi to just go (die) till Mike comes back and sorts stuff out you have great talents you could put them to much better use than SWI IMO ie flyinghamster Dogreader and the worm site you do not need the stress of SWI anymore.

Just my two cents.

Edited by therock247uk, 15 November 2006 - 04:01 PM.

#3 imheretohelp

imheretohelp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:36 PM

I agree 100% with rocky (perhaps with a little less typos though :p)

It is too much hassle for you to have to manage a site that you are ill equipped to do. Perhaps it's time you stop bailing out Mike and go your own way with your projects (GQ too ;)) and do something for yourself- for once.

Love and friendship always

~Phil~

#4 sari

sari

Domestic goddess of spyware

• Ambassador
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:54 PM

I agree with both of them (with fewer typos and grammatically correct sentences). You are a very talented person, and I think your energy would be better spent on projects that bring you less stress and more financial, personal, and professional satisfaction. If/when Mike is well enough to resume management of this site, then maybe you can resume your role here as well.
No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#5 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,442 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:34 PM

I am also worried about the stress you are experiencing and I agree that it would be better for you to leave than to be overwhelmed by that stress...

That said, I would be distressed to see SWI fail... I think we provide a great deal of assistance to many people and I think it would be an unneeded victory for the malware criminals if we fall... If there is a way to help, I (and many others) would happily do so... We already try to get people to go to FlyingHamster and will continue to do so...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#6 rambro

rambro

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:41 PM

Dear Noggie, :)

I would definitely contact the company that hosts the SWI website, and let them give you access to the necessary links (to change them) so that people don't purchase the X-cleaner product though Mike Healan's paypal account.

For the people, that have already purchased the X-cleaner product, you should try an "credit" their accounts for the purchase of this product, since they have probably paid for the this product through a credit card (that is, refund their money through a credit on their credit card balance.)

Set up an account of your own, so any future transactions (purchases of this product) will go through you in cooperation with the manufacturers of the X-cleaner product.

I don't know how legally liable you are in this situation, but be careful here so you will not be accused of defrauding the public. Good luck.

rambro.

#7 Xblock

Xblock

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:52 PM

I would like to follow up with some comments from XBlock Systems:

We have had a longstanding good relationship with Spywareinfo and Mike. This turn of events is very unfortunate for all of us.

To all those involved:
Please accept our appologies, but realise that there is nothing we can do to create a "good" solution to this problem. XBlock does not receive any notification or money when somebody pays Mike directly via Paypal, nor do we have any control over the links or the wording on the spywareinfo.com pages.

Nevertheless, we will supply everyone who purchased via this system with a license for X-Cleaner.

You can follow Catherine's instructions as stated above, or you can contact XBlock directly at this URL:
http://www.xblock.com/support.php

Please use "SpywareInfo X-Cleaner Purchase" as title of the email, and include the details from the Paypal purchase confirmation email.

Catherine: We hope you find the strength to get through this situation.
Everybody here: Keep up the good fight!

#8 Indrid_Cold

Indrid_Cold

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:22 AM

Speaking as one with a vested interest in SpywareInfo, I would echo Budfred's sentiments.
Hope is not a method.

If I have helped in some way, please consider donating to SpywareInfo's crusade against Malware See Here

Member of ASAP since 2004 Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals
Member of UNITE since 2006 United Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Fight back Malware Complaints

#9 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:08 AM

Speaking as one with a vested interest in SpywareInfo, I would echo Budfred's sentiments.

Myself also.
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#10 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,437 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:43 AM

I agree, it would be a terrible loss to the anti-malware community if something were to happen to SWI.

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#11 teacup61

teacup61

RIP

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:07 AM

Catherine,

knowing what we know and knowing how we all feel.......please tell us what we can do, big or small, to help. I'm just a little guy here, well girl, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to know what we can do to help. I want SWI to stay, I want you to have some relief, and it's hard to just sit here and just watch all this happen. :(
My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 Chancellor

Chancellor

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 12:49 PM

I want SWI to stay, I want you to have some relief...

Me too.

^_^
Chancellor

Please consider a donation to help Support SWI
Malware Complaints - Report them here and fight back!
Member of ASAP Since 2006 (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals)
Please read the FAQ and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?".

#13 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,437 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:15 PM

What I did was to send along a PayPal donation to the FlyingHamspter site. Reality is that there are still bills to pay for the site, and every little bit helps; probably helps to reduce Catherine's stress level too as that's one of her worries at the moment. And to not add to anyone else's stress level, I and I'm sure everyone else realizes that not everyone may be capable of doing that.

Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

#14 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 06:18 PM

SWI needs a patron who is able to secure its continued existence, and without strings. Another alternative is for consumers to demand that computers be produced that are not vulnerable. SWI is at a crossroads, a dangerous place to be sure: this is the third alternative. To paraphrase Hölderlin, 'where the danger grows, so is to be found the saving grace as well...'.

Edited by hornet777, 16 November 2006 - 06:22 PM.

After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#15 jedi

jedi

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 05:43 AM

What I did was to send along a PayPal donation to the FlyingHamspter site.

I would like to send a donation, however, I do not have a PayPal account and do not particularly want one. Is there another method I could use?
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#16 ChrisRLG

ChrisRLG

Malware Remover

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 04:11 PM

jedi

You do not need a paypal account to pay via paypal.

Just follow the link - use the buttton that says you do not have a paypal account - and enter your visa/mastercard (etc) data to make the payment.
ASAP member since 2004 - MS MVP member since 2005
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
My- computer Safety online - Article and others Texruss's Hijackthis FAQ
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."

#17 jedi

jedi

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:54 AM

Thanks Chris, I didn't know that. :thumbsup:
jedi

#18 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 01:27 PM

Please - let's distinguish between the main site http://www.spywareinfo.com, which is part-owned and managed by Noggie, and the forum http://www.spywareinfoforum.com which is managed by me with the help of Maddoktor2, Budfred, Swandog46, and Indrid_Cold.. I expect to continue the forum. The subscription to Invision (the forum software) that I purchased doesn't expire until May 2007.

The forum will not die.

Noggie has my sympathy and it is a shame she is put in this position. Our thanks to XBlock and the folks at XBlock Systems for their understanding.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#19 Maddoktor2

Maddoktor2

this space for rent

• Retired Staff
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 03:11 PM

For those of you who have known me over the years, you know that this is not how I conduct business. My name being linked to this behaviour is abhorrent to me.

And the way you're handling it is a credit to you and your reputation! :2tu:
Hang in there, Noggie - we've always gotten through the bad times in the past and will continue to do so. :)
Posted Image Posted Image

*Dok's Law*: The simplicity of a solution is directly proportionate to its elusiveness.

#20 Guest_Cyril_*

Guest_Cyril_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2006 - 10:52 AM

Hi Catherine

I just finished reading about your trails and tribulations during the past year and I just wanted to let you know that I sympathize with your situation and will do my best to help.

Please don’t be fooled by my inability to parse “HijackThis” logs or cure various computer maladies into thinking that I can’t help you with your situation.

Obviously my hierarchy when it comes to donations is more for “children with cancer” and the “poor” then for this type of venture. However I find the narrative in this forum rather touching and I do recognize that this venue does provide a valuable free service to the internet community.

Finally, I would like to wish you peace and joy during this holiday season. :)

Cyril

#21 regnew

regnew

Malware Shall Die In My Wrath

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:41 PM

Sites these sizes should't cost much.. Around $50 a year for hosting and domain. I don't understand what other donations are needed
The IQ test of malware came back negative.

#22 ChrisRLG

ChrisRLG

Malware Remover

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:20 PM

Sites these sizes should't cost much.. Around $50 a year for hosting and domain. I don't understand what other donations are needed

I run my own sites - and I can tell you, that you need to times that by two - to get near the monthly costs for a domain/server that this sort of site requires.

The server needs to be able to survive a moderate DDoS attack without blinking - so requires much more than a small host will provide, which is all you would get for that sort of money.

So your questimate is miles and miles out.
ASAP member since 2004 - MS MVP member since 2005
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
My- computer Safety online - Article and others Texruss's Hijackthis FAQ
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."

#23 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:58 PM

Usually there is a monthly fee for the hosting.
Not to mention the cost of the Invision software that runs the forum. Yearly license over $100.
UNITE

#24 1984

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:55 PM

I never realized that it was so expensive to run a site.

On another (or perhaps related?) topic, what happened to Mike? Is it a case of incapacitation or what? Excuse my ignorance, just following this thread and not sure what exactly happened. :)

Edited by 1984, 12 January 2007 - 07:02 PM.

Desktop:

IBM Pentium 4, 2000 MHZ, 768 Ram, 40 GB HD, 2-250 GB external WD HD, ATI AIW 9800 Pro Graphics Card, Viewsonic 19" Monitor, IBM 17" Monitor, External DVD Writer, Linksys 2.4 GHZ Wireless router, Logitech Webcam, Logitech Surround Sound Speakers 5.1, Brother MFC210C Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier, Impression Cordless Keyboard/Mouse, Windows XP SP2.

Laptop:

Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo T7200, 2000 MHZ, 2 GB Ram, 200 GB HD, NVIDIA GEFORCE GO 7600 256 DDR Graphics Card, 17" Monitor, Optical DRives Super Multi Double Layer DVD +/-, HP Photosmart C3180 Printer/Scanner/Copier, Windows Vista Home Premium.

To follow the path:look to the master,follow the master,walk with the master,see through the master,become the master.

#25 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,442 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:45 PM

On another (or perhaps related?) topic, what happened to Mike? Is it a case of incapacitation or what? Excuse my ignorance, just following this thread and not sure what exactly happened. :)

There are other topics that address that question... The short answer is that we don't know and he may decide to let us know when he returns... Otherwise, we carry on...
Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#26 1984

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:19 PM

Thanks Budfred. I looked around after this post (should have done it first) but still couldn't find a definitive answer. Strange that someone is MIA for so long.
Desktop:

IBM Pentium 4, 2000 MHZ, 768 Ram, 40 GB HD, 2-250 GB external WD HD, ATI AIW 9800 Pro Graphics Card, Viewsonic 19" Monitor, IBM 17" Monitor, External DVD Writer, Linksys 2.4 GHZ Wireless router, Logitech Webcam, Logitech Surround Sound Speakers 5.1, Brother MFC210C Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier, Impression Cordless Keyboard/Mouse, Windows XP SP2.

Laptop:

Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo T7200, 2000 MHZ, 2 GB Ram, 200 GB HD, NVIDIA GEFORCE GO 7600 256 DDR Graphics Card, 17" Monitor, Optical DRives Super Multi Double Layer DVD +/-, HP Photosmart C3180 Printer/Scanner/Copier, Windows Vista Home Premium.

To follow the path:look to the master,follow the master,walk with the master,see through the master,become the master.

#27 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,814 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:37 PM

http://www.spywarein...mp;#entry429691

^

That explains the first large leave of absence.

It is unknown whether or not the current one is related.

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

#28 1984

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:45 AM

Thank you. That explains a lot. I feel empathy for Mike-Depression is a very difficult disease/imbalance to deal with. And more people deal with it than the general public knows about.

I wish Mike full healing, and strength and health. Take care.
Desktop:

Laptop:

#29 Guest_Cyril_*

Guest_Cyril_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:37 AM

I just stopped by for my monthly donation and I can't seem to find where it is - am I missing something?

http://www.flyinghamster.com/

#30 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,437 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:47 AM

I didn't see it on the main page either, but found it on a roundabout way through some links. It's also in several of our signatures:
http://flyinghamster.com/support-us/

#31 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:51 AM

You'll find the link in this topic: Main page, donations,editorials, reviews,... in the Flying Hamster links subforum.
UNITE

#32 Asiadeep

Asiadeep

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:38 AM

That sounds terrible and puts you in the light of a bad color. I hope this mess ends fast and you get your health back again.

#33 Swami

Swami

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:53 AM

If Healen left over a year ago and isn't returning calls or handling his responsibility then he isn't coming back ... or at the least doesn't deserve to have anything to come back to.

I could see if he was sick or had taken a new job requiring relocation ... but it sounds like the dude just dropped out - It's time to turn the page on him and possibly this site.

IMO

#34 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:02 AM

He's the owner! We don't control the site, only the forum. I expect that eventually Mike will decide what he wants to do with the main site which currently not even Noggie (co-owner) can access. Mike has said in the past that he will never let the forum die; don't know if that's still true. In the meantime we carry on and I try to handle things the way Mike would have.

Mike was last here in July 2006. Most of us remember him as a remarkably fine person and a great leader; we truly hope that he is OK.
UNITE

#35 Fire Vortex

Fire Vortex

Blogger And RPG Gamer, Malware Hater and Mac Supporter.

• Helper Trainee (A)
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:03 AM

Hmm, I half get this situation... Is Mike still back? Any new news from him???
Posted Image Things I use: Firefox, Firefox Portable.

#36 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,442 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 05:49 AM

Hmm, I half get this situation... Is Mike still back? Any new news from him???

I am not sure what you mean about "still back"... We have not seen him for more than 2 years... If he is back, he has not let us know...
Budfred

#37 Fire Vortex

Fire Vortex

• Helper Trainee (A)
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:14 AM

Hmm, that's really sad... Is everything all right right now? Last week I started couldn't access the forums through www.spywareinfoforum.com...

Only spywareinfoforum.com works.

Is this related to that?

Edited by Fire Vortex, 18 May 2008 - 02:16 AM.

#38 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,442 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:04 AM

Hmm, that's really sad... Is everything all right right now? Last week I started couldn't access the forums through www.spywareinfoforum.com...

Only spywareinfoforum.com works.

Is this related to that?

Yes...
Budfred

#39 Fire Vortex

Fire Vortex

• Helper Trainee (A)
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:29 AM

I saw the other post that Mike posted a long time ago...

This is really sad. ;(

Wherever he is, I hope he's ok.

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button