Photo

Antivirus / firewalls - What's best? - 2 Topics Merged and Moved...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 yerman54

yerman54

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 05:48 PM

Hello SWI Forum!

I am interested in how the community weighs in the better / best firewall and antivirus apps. For adware / spyware / crapware I am outfitted with AdAware / SpyBot S&D / IE Spyad (although I use FFox 2.0 nearly all the time). I did a Google search and you get the usual hype based on who paid what for an add. Since late 2005 I have used Trend Micro - for which I got their "free" 2007 upgrade and haven't installed. The info on that app is so-so at best. I trust the SWI resource as I have for some time for the straight skinny. Please drop a line when you can. Best - RY

#2 -x-

-x-

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:13 PM

For antivirus, I use Kaspersky which provides excellent protection against those nasties that plague peoples boxes. In the past I have used just about all of the AV's on the market, but when I heard about Kaspersky and tried it, I never looked back.

#3 yerman54

yerman54

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:04 AM

For antivirus, I use Kaspersky which provides excellent protection against those nasties that plague peoples boxes. In the past I have used just about all of the AV's on the market, but when I heard about Kaspersky and tried it, I never looked back.

Thanks. I have heard (and read) good things about Kaspersky. It'll be interesting to see what others have to say. Anyone have a view on ZoneAlaram? AVG? Best: RY

#4 joms

joms

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:42 PM

From research, ive read that its a toss between Kaspersky and NOD32. They say that kaspersky is marginally better in detection and removing than NOD32 but NOD32, on the other hand, has a very small footprint and wouldnt be harsh on your system resources as compared to kaspersky.

Ive tried kaspersky and it works great. im trying nod32 now and it seems it detects a VB.NDO worm which i tell it to clean but it keeps coming back....

hmmm.

Edited by joms, 21 November 2006 - 09:45 PM.

#5 hi007

hi007

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:29 AM

Thanks. I have heard (and read) good things about Kaspersky. It'll be interesting to see what others have to say. Anyone have a view on ZoneAlaram? AVG? Best: RY

Give AVG anti-virus a shot! It's frequent and quick with updates and scans really well and most important it doesnt hog on your system and you have the options on doing a shell extension test for files, folders and download and very reliable indeed!

#6 spartan058

spartan058

Yeah!

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:43 PM

I own zonealarm, i really like it because it asks if you want things to access the internet so i personaly would recament it

#7 nicklue

nicklue

• Helper Trainee (A)
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:47 AM

i use avast and have had good experiences with it, was never too fond of avg, and never tried kasperkey, im going to get kasperkey now to try it out though

#8 itch

itch

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:17 PM

I've been told by reliable persons and geeks on other sites to stay away from Kaspersky because it supposedly has been known to carry viruses. Just passing it along, for whatever it is worth.

#9 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,531 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:27 PM

I've been told by reliable persons and geeks on other sites to stay away from Kaspersky because it supposedly has been known to carry viruses. Just passing it along, for whatever it is worth.

The rumor that antivirus companies infect computers to further their business has been circulating for years and it is ridiculous... They make their money by selling their programs... The number of different people who would be all over them if they put malware into their programs could be counted in the hundreds and they would be ruined in a matter of hours... Unless there is some credible evidence to the contrary, I suggest that people let go of these Internet myths and stop posting them so that they can die the death they deserve...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#10 Trblestrife

Trblestrife

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:05 PM

Kapersky and NOD are both very good, a friend of mine uses Kapersky and it's extremely reliable, but as stated by joms kapersky uses more RAM ect.. I'm using NOD Smart Security. It runs fast and is reliable :). In the past I've used AVG Free, and it isn't very good at all, not sure about the purchasable version. As for all the other software types, I've not tried them, so searching them on the internet may help although will probably just confuse you :thumbup:

I also realise this post is extremely old but I just joined and can't help but post ;-) ;)

#11 BucketHead

BucketHead

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:21 PM

I Hear that NOD AND kas are top 2 or so of the best programs. But I still suggest and agree that free software is just as good as the paid for ones. I use avast at this time and also malwarebytes and superantispyware. But no matter what we use its all about the user themselves. You could pay for NOD or kas and still get infected by going to bad sites or downloading something wrong. The user is the greatest tool in protecting themself.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button