SmartDraw spyware??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mushu

mushu

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:31 AM

I am a happy user of Smartdraw ver 7.64 but after the last update I noticed that every time I log in to my computer a small popup window opens right over my system tray on the taskbar. This window tells me the latest news and latest version for updates, etc, BUT....

I ran the latest AdAware, the latest SpyBot SD, and the latest StartupList from Merijn, and NONE of them can find where this thing is running from?!? I don't like it because: 1. there is no way to disable it in the main smartdraw program, 2. it launches every time I log in to my computer and grabs data from the smartdraw server which means they have a perfect record of every user's login activity, 3. it is hidden somewhere in my registry or startup folders and I am very knowledgeable about low-level computer operations and cannot find it, 4. if it is so hidden and runs without my knowledge, what other stuff are they installing and running that is NOT alerting me to its presence?

For those reasons above, I want to disable this thing, or at a minimum, find out HOW the blazes it is auto-launching every time I log in!! :( Grrrr.... I'm hoping someone can help me here!

TIA!

#2 mushu

mushu

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:29 AM

I found the offending program by interrupting the boot login process! It's called SDnotify.exe

Now to figure out where it is running automagically from....I know this is the correct one because when the popup window was open and I killed that process the popup window went away. :)

EDIT:
Ok, this gets better and better (or worse and worse, depending...) Those weenies put this SDnotify.exe program in the \winnt\prefetch directory -- which IS NOT listed in the StartupList program by Merijn.org -- a SERIOUS ommission because, obviously, the programs that are prefetched at login to Windows are actually run by the operating system! So, I deleted it from the prefetch directory, and then renamed the original program to SDNotify.xex AND THEN I went into debug (ya, I'm an old Assembly coder from way back!) and I created a 2-byte program that holds INT 20h inside and named it SDN.com and then exited from debug and renamed SDN.com to SDNotify.exe AND FINALLY did attrib +R SDNotify.exe -- I hope this is the end of that spying cr@p... :)

Edited by mushu, 20 November 2006 - 11:58 AM.

#3 morphy

morphy

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:43 AM

HERE IS HOW TO REMOVE THIS PIECE OF ****:
Apparently the moron or arrogant Ahole who decided to avoid any user decision in regard to installing unnecessary crap to burden the startup process also thought that the standard startup methods were somehow not preferable and instead shoved this uncalled for piece of crap into the tasks management.
So if you want to get rid of it (for win XP at least) - Simply go to your control panel > open Scheduled Tasks > and delete the entry that should be named “SDMsgUpdate (TE)”

This goes to show that SmartDraw programmers are either idiots OR think they should install software that runs at its discretion and has not way of being directly disabled from an options panel at the software you actually wanted to install. Either way, these people don't deserve a peny and I am not the only one irritated by this enough to be determined to never pay for their crap and just go get it at the .

EDIT: To remove reference to noxious site...

Edited by Budfred, 27 February 2013 - 06:05 AM.

#4 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:10 PM

SWI does not endorse the use of pirated software. morphy is not a qualified helper here, but his advice to remove that scheduled task is probably OK.

mushu, if you want the assistance of a trained helper please read the Forum FAQ and follow the directions there.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#5 Nojon

Nojon

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

and just go get it at the pxxxxxbay.

My edited quote as you would most likely be back in the Malware Removal section if you only use pirated versions of software.
I am also not a qualified helper here but I am just throwing my 2 cents in to the ring -
I must agree with cnm that cracked / pirated versions are not only illegal, but the malware filters at these sites are often useless.

If you have a program that seems to be "wrong", try to delete it first, then ask for help in the correct area of the forum after you report it.
The StartupList program by Merijn.org is outdated in many cases and SystemLookup is now a better (more updated) place to check for entries.

As this is an old topic, I hope that you have now solved your problem, or asked for help at the areas of the forum that assist with this.

Thank You -

EDIT - http://www.spywarein...post__p__749912 Very good examples from D-FRED-BROWN

Edited by Nojon, 27 February 2012 - 04:58 PM.

#6 AJK143

AJK143

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:59 AM

HERE IS HOW TO REMOVE THIS PIECE OF ****:
Apparently the moron or arrogant Ahole who decided to avoid any user decision in regard to installing unnecessary crap to burden the startup process also thought that the standard startup methods were somehow not preferable and instead shoved this uncalled for piece of crap into the tasks management.
So if you want to get rid of it (for win XP at least) - Simply go to your control panel > open Scheduled Tasks > and delete the entry that should be named “SDMsgUpdate (TE)”

This goes to show that SmartDraw programmers are either idiots OR think they should install software that runs at its discretion and has not way of being directly disabled from an options panel at the software you actually wanted to install. Either way, these people don't deserve a peny and I am not the only one irritated by this enough to be determined to never pay for their crap and just go get it at the.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

Good program but this file created a lot of stress and 3 weeks of crashes. Now it seems to run ok.

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button