Photo

PC Seems to take awhile to log off and things..

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
61 replies to this topic

#51 Dragoon-girl

Dragoon-girl

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:17 PM

Looks like I might not have to scan any more..
Just spent some time on to a tech support line after blue screens started comming back, with error... "Stop: 0X00000050 (0XF000EFOB. 0X00000000,0XE7288355, 0X00000000)"

And something about a None Page... They made me test my memory, it was fine, then the hard drive.. it was fine, they've said I might need to reformat, I told them I'll back up my stuff and call them when I'm done.

But could there not be a better way?

#52 daveydoom

daveydoom

Sounding the crack of doom for malware

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:55 PM

Aye Carumba! You're having great luck aren't you? :rolleyes:

Is this the error:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329293

From post 11 here in this very thread did you ever check your RAM? What program did the tech support pople have you use to check the RAM? Did you check it one stick at a time? Just so you know, defective RAM can sill pass memtest86 ;) .

It could also be driver conflicts or a rootkit causing these crashes :alarm: .

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#53 Dragoon-girl

Dragoon-girl

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:53 PM

I did check it, it got like 5 passes... it kept passing, same with the one they gave me.
It was more or less the same program, I'd be really annoyed if I reformatted and got the same errors, what's a root kit?

The errors normally happen when I open a program, not a specific one, just any old one...

Also yes, that is the error.

Edited by Dragoon-girl, 04 April 2007 - 08:55 PM.

#54 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:44 AM

Right click My Computer > Manage > System Tools > Event Viewer > System and see if there are any errors in there that may give you clues as to what's happening.

Next, power down the PC, turn off the switch on the power supply, open the case, remove the RAM and reseat it. If it's covered with dust blow it off before reseating it. Do you have one stick of RAM or two? It's important to know this.

After you power on the PC again please download AVG Anti-Rootkit Beta and save to your desktop
  • Double click avgarkt-beta-1.1.0.29.exe to install. By default it will install to "C:\Program Files\GRISOFT\AVG Anti-Rootkit Beta".
  • Accept the licence and follow the prompts to install.
  • You will be asked to reboot to finish the installation so click "Finish".
  • After rebooting, double-click the icon for AVG Anti-Rootkit Beta on your desktop.
  • You will see a window with four buttons at the bottom.
  • Click "Search For Rootkits" and the scan will begin.
  • You will see the progress bar moving from left to right. The scan will take some so be patient and let it finish.
  • When the scan has finished, a small window will open so you can view the results.
  • Click "Save Result To File" and copy/paste the results in your next reply.
  • If anything was found, click "Remove selected items"
  • If nothing was found, please click the "Perform in-depth Search" saving anything found to file as before.

Let's start with that. Realistically, sometimes it's best to backup, format and reinstall Windows. However, if it's a hardware problem you'll get the same errors afterwards so it was all for nothing. If we can eliminate the RAM and rootkits (nasty malware infections) we can look at drivers. The Event Viewer messages may gives us more clues also.

Let me know about the RAM and the results of the AVG rootkit scanner.

Regards, Dave

-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#55 Dragoon-girl

Dragoon-girl

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:05 AM

First of all, I know I have 2 sticks of 512MB of RAM.

Both scans found nothing.

Also I was thinking, I have 2 hard drives, I was thinking if I could install windows to the other one as well as this one and use that one for awhile, if no blue screens come up, I'd know for sure it was windows... or at least I hope so.

#56 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:39 AM

Also I was thinking, I have 2 hard drives, I was thinking if I could install windows to the other one as well as this one and use that one for awhile, if no blue screens come up, I'd know for sure it was windows... or at least I hope so.

If you install Windows on the second drive and you get the same errors then it's almost certainly the RAM or another peice of hardware. If the errors are gone then it was either malware or another software related error (Windows, a driver or some other program). If you're confident that you've tested the RAM and the hard drive adequately then I guess a fresh install on a new drive is a good option at this point. I hope you're brother is ok with this decision. Make sure he backs his stuff up also if you decide to wipe the existing drive at some point.

I'm sorry I couldn't have been of more help after we both spent so much time trying to work through this :(

-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#57 Dragoon-girl

Dragoon-girl

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:03 PM

What's a good way to back up over 100GB of stuff?

#58 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:07 PM

A spare hard drive, seriously. Don't use floppies. That's a lot of data. A whole lot :blink: .

Edited by daveydoom, 06 April 2007 - 09:08 PM.

-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#59 Dragoon-girl

Dragoon-girl

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:02 AM

A spare hard drive, seriously. Don't use floppies. That's a lot of data. A whole lot :blink: .

I didn't plan on using floppies :p
Some of the files wouldn't even fit on one floppy :eek:

#60 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:09 PM

I didn't plan on using floppies :p

That's good because it would take a few :lol: .

Please let me know how you make out, I'll keep this thread open.

-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#61 Dragoon-girl

Dragoon-girl

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:47 AM

I thought this would be locked by now, but it says you're keeping it open.

I never did backing up or formatting in the end, It's never really too often right now... so I just left it, I don't know if that's a really silly thing to do but yeah.

I made a new thread in the malware section because of new problems, probably will just take the same fixes as before but wanted to be sure.

#62 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for posting back :) . I'll have this topic closed since you've started a new thread.

If you need this topic reopened, please tell the moderating team by replying here with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Edited by daveydoom, 28 July 2007 - 01:27 PM.

-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button