• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 heahaz

heahaz

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 04:35 AM

Hi i just found a link for ashampoo free firewall,
i already have zonealarm but several times people have told me that zonealarm isnt any good, though
ive been using it for ages with out any problems. i was wondering which is better.

Im using xp pro and have AVG, Spysweeper with av and ive got spybot , adaware, spyware doctor and avg antispyware. but id like to know if zone alarm is ok or should i change it and if so which one is best.

This is the link for the ashampoo one

http://www.ashampoo-...uct_2_0050_.htm

Thank you in advance.

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,532 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:36 AM

There is nothing wrong with ZA as a firewall unless you need to use their tech support... That said, a new member posting a link to a little known firewall that he/she just "found" suggests SPAM... If you read through even a small sampling of posts at SWI, you will see that we typically recommend ZA, Kerio, Outpost and a smattering of others... I suggest that anyone looking for a firewall be cautious about this new one since it looks like this may be a SPAM attempt and any company that uses that way to advertise is suspect in my opinion....

heahaz,

I will leave the link intact for now... I suggest you come back to make the case for keeping it intact if you did not mean it as SPAM or I will remove it...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 heahaz

heahaz

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:32 AM

Hi im sorry if you thought this is an attempt at spam, i certainly didnt mean it to be, i got the link from spyware warriers where i am also a member i have been a member of this forum for quite a while but as my pc has just been rebuilt i couldnt remember my log in name so i made a new account, though i trust what spyware warriers say i like to get a second oppion on things, so please forgive me for giving the wrong impression now.

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,532 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:34 AM

Hi im sorry if you thought this is an attempt at spam, i certainly didnt mean it to be, i got the link from spyware warriers where i am also a member i have been a member of this forum for quite a while but as my pc has just been rebuilt i couldnt remember my log in name so i made a new account, though i trust what spyware warriers say i like to get a second oppion on things, so please forgive me for giving the wrong impression now.

No problem... We get SPAMmed a lot, so we are cautious...
Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#5 heahaz

heahaz

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:58 AM

No worries i didnt even think that by adding the link like that, that you would think i was a spammer, ill certainly think before i link next time.

so you think that i should stick with zone alarm or may be check out the ashampoo one?

#6 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,532 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:28 PM

I don't know what was said about it on SpywareWarrior or who said it, so unless it is endorsed by someone who has knowledge and credibility, I would stay with ZA.... Or, if dissatisfied with ZA, I would go with Kerio or Outpost...
Budfred

#7 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:19 PM

yeah Budfred, despite its goofy name, ashampoo products are apparently legit; do a search for it at Spyware Warrior; its been mentioned a few times

as for recommending it, well that's a very different story.
there's nothing wrong with ZA, except that its a tad bloated, and as Budfred says, their tech support is marginal
After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#8 heahaz

heahaz

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 02:59 PM

well thanks guys i guess ill stay with ZA then as i havent had any problems with it i was just looking for a change. but as the experts say dont change then i wont. Thank you for your help.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button