Photo

Windows Firewall setting cannot be displayed!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheAlakazam

TheAlakazam

Soul from Christmas Eve

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 01:28 AM

Hi, everyone,

I am having some trouble with the Windows Firewall.

When I go to Control Panel and double click on Windows Firewall, I get a prompt saying "Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running" and it asks me whether I "want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service." Every time when I click on Yes, it will be trying to open the service but a few seconds later, "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service" prompt is shown. After this, I can't do anything about it anymore.

I am starting to get suspicious that my Windows Firewall is not running since every now and then my computer will pop up the Security Center warning saying that my Firewall is down. Any help on how to access the Windows Firewall settings or how to make sure that it is turned on is greatly appreciated =] Thanks.

~TheAlakazam

P.S. I am currently using Windows XP Professional with SP2

#2 akline

akline

The One And Only

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:05 PM

Try this

From the Command Prompt, enter:

netsh winsock reset

reboot
Check if the Windows Firewall service has started

#3 o joy

o joy

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:08 AM

You have probably disabled something that the firewall depends on. Go into Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services..
Find your Windows Firewall on the list, right click on it and look at properties, then you'll see a window that has tabs in it, click on the one that says Dependencies and you will see certain things that need to be running in order for your Windows firewall to execute properly. Go back into your Settings and make sure those things are running. It's possible it could be something else, but I thought I'd try to lend a hand. Good luck!

PS. I just noticed that the OP is six months old, sorry about that :(

Edited by o joy, 01 May 2007 - 10:09 AM.

Eccentricity is not, as dull people would have us believe, a form of madness. It is often a kind of innocent pride, and the man of genius and the aristocrat are frequently regarded as eccentrics because genius and aristocrat are entirely unafraid of and uninfluenced by the opinions and vagaries of the crowd.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button