Anti-Spyware Tutorial Video

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mike5906

Mike5906

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:47 PM

This is a great tutorial video on how you get spyware, how to deal with it, etc.

http://www.my-pc-hel...ideo/v10017.htm

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,637 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 02:24 AM

Please note that this service is NOT endorsed by SpywareInfo and that we consider any site that is advertised by someone who registered simply to advertise a site to be suspect... Please use caution if you choose to visit this site and keep in mind that a lot of people who infect computers and/or run scams claim to be offering helpful advice and tools to fight malware... Anyone can say they are against malware and use that to rip you off... Again, please use caution if you decide to check out this site...

A quick Google search suggests that Mike5906 is primarily into videos and it is not clear what type of videos those are... Would you like to comment further Mike5906??
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 Mike5906

Mike5906

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 02:43 PM

Please note that this service is NOT endorsed by SpywareInfo and that we consider any site that is advertised by someone who registered simply to advertise a site to be suspect... Please use caution if you choose to visit this site and keep in mind that a lot of people who infect computers and/or run scams claim to be offering helpful advice and tools to fight malware... Anyone can say they are against malware and use that to rip you off... Again, please use caution if you decide to check out this site...

A quick Google search suggests that Mike5906 is primarily into videos and it is not clear what type of videos those are... Would you like to comment further Mike5906??

I'd love to comment. I've made it my life mission to abolish spyware. We created this video to help educate users on the internet about spyware. Take a second to watch the video and I am sure you will find it 100% legit. Your welcome to use the google or youtube feed on this site.

Edited by Mike5906, 30 December 2006 - 03:07 PM.

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,637 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 03:21 PM

I'd love to comment. I've made it my life mission to abolish spyware. We created this video to help educate users on the internet about spyware. Take a second to watch the video and I am sure you will find it 100% legit. Your welcome to use the google or youtube feed on this site.

If that is the case, it is odd that you are not known in the malware fighting community already...
Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#5 Mike5906

Mike5906

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:49 PM

If that is the case, it is odd that you are not known in the malware fighting community already...

Wow. This is incredible. I come here, post in the proper forum a video I created accoring to your own TOS, and then get attacked. I really don't know what to say. Maybe that's why I am not known in the community. I prefer to associate with friendly people who care and want to make things better. I have no time or need for elitist mentality, that is so Commodore 64 hackerish.

Look, I don't mean to offend you or anyone else. I just don't get the attacking my character when you don't even know me.

#6 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,637 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 08:40 PM

We are attacked regularly by people who mask themselves as benevolent, but whose actual intent is malicious... We have learned to be dubious about people offering such assistance... If you believe skepticism expressed toward someone whose first post in a new forum is an ad for his/her own site reflects an attack on your character, you are clearly not familiar with the assaults we deal with on a daily basis... The fact that your post is still visible and you are still allowed to post is an indication that you are being given the benefit of the doubt...

If you are really on the side of fighting the criminals who are trying to enrich themselves and bring down the internet in the process, you will hopefully appreciate that we need to warn our members about potential predators who claim to be the good guys... If you don't understand that, you don't understand the war we are waging...

I know nothing about your character and have no desire to attack it... My intent is to post warnings for those that may think that any site mentioned in this forum is endorsed by this forum and to determine if you are an ally or not... Your response only tells me that you are easily offended... And that you are quick to characterize not only me, but the entire forum as "elitist" and "Commodore 64 hackerish" (whatever that means)... Given the work we do here, to suggest that we are not "friendly people who care and want to make things better" is just insulting and shows very little understanding of our work...
Budfred

#7 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 09:40 PM

There are a couple of problems with this. The video seems reasonable, the visual display of what spyware looks like could be helpful. I found it interesting because although I've helped lots of people with infections, I've never had any on my own PC and don't know what most of it actually looks like. The focus is on description and a little prevention; the only recommendation for cleaning is AdAware - which isn't going to be adequate for anything complex. It doesn't mention the numerous forums, like this one, where free and very knowledgeable help is available.

The video introduces David Murray as an expert on spyware - but he is not a Microsoft MVP, and no other credentials show up in a search. No published articles except on http://www.my-pc-help.com.. That doesn't necessarily mean that what he says isnn't accurate, but calling oneself an expert raises some alarms.

"About us" says

This site was founded in 2006 by a group of Information Technology professionals with certifications in several different areas of computers and IT..

but it doesn't list any of the certifications or name their jobs (evidently in an IT department somewhere).

Sorry you found us unfriendly - but ideally you ask for permission before posting something for us to review. :)
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#8 Mike5906

Mike5906

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:59 PM

There are a couple of problems with this. The video seems reasonable, the visual display of what spyware looks like could be helpful. I found it interesting because although I've helped lots of people with infections, I've never had any on my own PC and don't know what most of it actually looks like. The focus is on description and a little prevention; the only recommendation for cleaning is AdAware - which isn't going to be adequate for anything complex. It doesn't mention the numerous forums, like this one, where free and very knowledgeable help is available.

The video introduces David Murray as an expert on spyware - but he is not a Microsoft MVP, and no other credentials show up in a search. No published articles except on http://www.my-pc-help.com.. That doesn't necessarily mean that what he says isnn't accurate, but calling oneself an expert raises some alarms.

"About us" says

This site was founded in 2006 by a group of Information Technology professionals with certifications in several different areas of computers and IT..

but it doesn't list any of the certifications or name their jobs (evidently in an IT department somewhere).

Sorry you found us unfriendly - but ideally you ask for permission before posting something for us to review. :)

Why don't we all start over here. I'm waiving the white flag.

David Murray worked for 10 years on a level 3 help desk for several different computer companies. I won't post the names here without his permission, but will send him this link and ask him to visit this website.

I am a Director of IT for a Fortune 500 retail company. I am an MCSE, CNA and and a CNE although it expired long ago. I have relationships with high level people through my full time job at Microsoft who offered their expertise as part of the making of this video.

The video you saw is Chapter 1. Chapter 2 will be posted tomorrow. Chapter 3 will cover removal with and without Adaware, Windows Defender and manual methods and will be available at the end of January.

This forum and other online resources were not mentioned in chapter 1, its not about removal or repair. Also, we have to be careful about who we mention and what we show as if someone didn't like it they could sue us. As well, if we showed screen shots of this website as example, they might ask us for royalties - even though the video is free. It's a hard world out there for videographers while the DMCA exists.

How about we work together - we are fighting the same fight. I'd love to hear input on for removal techniques to be used in the final chapter of the video, or any other ideas anyone is interested in sharing. Also, if you would like this website featured in the video, I'd be happy to do such with your permission.

Mike

#9 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:24 PM

How about we work together - we are fighting the same fight. I'd love to hear input on for removal techniques to be used in the final chapter of the video, or any other ideas anyone is interested in sharing. Also, if you would like this website featured in the video, I'd be happy to do such with your permission.

No no! We believe that only trained helpers should assist with malware removal. Misguided "help" can easily render a PC inoperable, and dealing with the new malware such as rootkits requires a lot of knowledge. Victims can be referred to the list of forums at the ASAP site. No one can join ASAP unless they have completed a training program such as our own Boot Camp. Forums listed there must meet certain criteria.

I think we could consider referring people to your video in a topic such as "How can you tell whether you are infected?" or "What does malware look like?" I'll get the mods and admins to think about it and decide whether it could be useful.
UNITE

#10 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:04 PM

Comments are somewhat favorable on the whole, but with reservations.

I would want to see what they do with the rest of the "chapters" before we post links to it in the article... If they are responsible with how they present it, it could be a worthwhile alliance...

It just seems like yet another new computer site to me, check the forum:
http://www.my-pc-hel...orums/index.php
I'd like to see them get a bit more established before I considered sending anyone there. The video is useful in a limited way, but there's nothing there that we couldn't replicate with half a dozen screenshots, if we wanted to show what Malware looks like. I think miekemoes already has some good ones, in fact the toolbar shot in the video looks like one of hers. ... I'm slightly concerned about how they might present removal instructions.

However I think the voiceover does add significant usefulness.
UNITE

#11 daveydoom

daveydoom

Sounding the crack of doom for malware

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 03:07 PM

I would want to see what they do with the rest of the "chapters" before we post links to it in the article...

I'm curious also since SmitFraudFix is shown in the preview for the second and third chapters.

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#12 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,487 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:01 PM

I can't get any kind of a response out of that link.

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#13 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:26 PM

I can't get any kind of a response out of that link.

Works for me. http://www.my-pc-hel...ideo/v10017.htm
After you load the page, you need to click the little triangle at bottom left of the pic to start it up.
UNITE

#14 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,487 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:20 PM

What picture? All I got before was a completely blank page. Now I get text, but there's no graphic on it. I do get a message from IE that the page has loaded, but with errors.

Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

#15 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:29 PM

Been using Firefox, but I just tried it with IE 7 and it works fine. Must be you have it blocked some way? The video is Macromedia flash.
UNITE

#16 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,487 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:30 PM

That's why it's blocked. :)

#17 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:56 PM

So if is all as you say it is, Mike5906, all warm and cozy and legitimate and, and, and... why didn't you realise before hand that a cold post like yours would be received as it was (with caution and scepticism), and why didn't you introduce yourself privately to mod/admin, and then ask permission before posting links to your videos? The folks here have seen pretty much everything in the way of scam, and your approach is a favourite; while I think its good to give the benefit of the doubt in most situations of life, demanding to earn one's way into a pri/sec forum is an inevitable rite of passage. You may choose to look at it as pathological, but is it any less pathological to just allow people who would exploit free reign? Again, why hadn't these things been considered beforehand? I still think caution is advised; take a look at the 'downloads' page.
After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#18 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 08:15 AM

I see what you mean. The download for GoToMyPC says it's free, but it's actually only a free trial, and the link looks like a pay per click affiliate. The free download for AdAware is actually a download of Google Pack, plus the download doesn't even work. I bet the GoToMyPC one does though.
Why not link to Lavasoft if you're saying Download AdAware free?
http://www.lavasoftu...se_personal.php
Any comments Mike5906?
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button