Photo

Not spyware, but entertaining for you none-the-less (Long Story)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 REMTom

REMTom

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:04 PM

I was 9 or 10 years old (9, I think. We had just moved in to my house). My best friend at that time, Emily, had come over to hang out. I was, at 9 years old, better at computers than my parents. I had a Windows 95 (piece of junk) Prescario 4500 (I think) Compaq, with about 2 GB of space. My favorite game at that point was Descent II, some computer game I no longer remember anything about. It was always on my parents computer, but I wanted it on mine sooooo badly. Now, of these 2 GB of space, 98% of it was used up by items my mom had no idea how to delete (neither did I at the time). So it served 3 functions for me: Playing the Sonic and Knuckles Collection, using the voice recorder/jumbler, and playing Solitaire. This took up the 8% of the 98% of the files. Now, I didn't know how bad it actually was. So I go and install Descent II, and the computer flips out on me. Constant error warnings. So, I do the naturally idiotic thing. Shut it off. When I turn it back on, the memory's overloaded. It won't work. Now, back then, my parents had no idea what a hard drive was. We tried everything on that poor machine. Scandisk-ing it, using every program we had on it, and we even got help from a friend, but none of that worked. At this point, I took the RAM chips (which I thought was the hard drive) and went all about the little town of Hamilton, NJ, looking for a store that had them. (Note: This was 2001. Windows 95 was ancient). Nothing. So we go back home, and the computer sits there for 2 years. I wasted more time on that thing than you could possibly imagine, but I did learn alot about computers from that experience.

That's my story. Hope you enjoyed reading my story of the idiotics of a child. (Note: I'm 15 now, and I DO know what a hard drive is)

#2 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,814 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:29 PM

Heh... Trust me, you're not alone.

(By the way, I LOVED Descent II ^_^)

I remember being nine years old, and completely computer ignorant, wondering why my precious Windows 95 and 64MB of ram bot (why did I have that in 2000??) was running so slowly, I decided to do some research, and I started learning about the vast world of computers. Quite fascinating, really.

~Screen317

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

#3 W33nie

W33nie

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 11:28 PM

I started getting computer nerdy at age 12 or so...

#4 IndigoRed

IndigoRed

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:12 AM

I started getting computer nerdy at age 12 or so...

12? There was nothing for me to stay inside for at 12! The only 360 I had at 12 was the out-of-doors... When you said IBM, it came out the same way as if you say NASA. :p
The Speed of Light is Nothing Compared to Money in My Wallet...

I'm training at Malware Removal University

#5 jim532

jim532

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:24 PM

when I was 9 years old I had an IBM XT, I thought I was bad A$$ with my EGA video apdapter

#6 Jade_Mitchell

Jade_Mitchell

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 01:21 AM

Back in the day on Windows 95 when I was younger, I could play it for hours on end, not even noticing how horrible the lag was.

I played Oregon Trail, too. I didn't know how to work the speakers, and I was always scared to play because of those horrible sounds that come with the game. I was around 7, and nothing was worse then the sound of a snake or a dead oxen at full volume to scare the living crap out of me. D:

#7 BeHE

BeHE

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:30 AM

I became interested in computers at the age of 3, in nursery, when I learned how to print my own name out. I think it was on a Windows 3.1 computer, but the memory is a bit of a blur.

#8 Atanos12

Atanos12

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:53 PM

I was using PC-DOS while still in the womb.

#9 Blue Ice

Blue Ice

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:13 AM

I was using PC-DOS while still in the womb.

I started on a tandy 1000 hehe That was about 20 yrs ago :) The day I got it, I opened it up, looked at the parts, and then started looking things up in books, and then came along google!! And been learning since, between boooks and google. :) Self knowledge is power! take what you know and teach other's

#10 mersin

mersin

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:49 PM

new restart ago :techsupport:

#11 Indrid_Cold

Indrid_Cold

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:27 PM

new restart ago :techsupport:

This nonsense would indicate that your only point in registering was to post and advertise those links in your signature mersin. I have removed your signature and I would strongly suggest that you do not put them back if you wish to remain a member here.
Hope is not a method.

If I have helped in some way, please consider donating to SpywareInfo's crusade against Malware See Here

Member of ASAP since 2004 Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals
Member of UNITE since 2006 United Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Fight back Malware Complaints

#12 Tifany

Tifany

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:14 PM

Back in the day on Windows 95 when I was younger, I could play it for hours on end, not even noticing how horrible the lag was.

I played Oregon Trail, too. I didn't know how to work the speakers, and I was always scared to play because of those horrible sounds that come with the game. I was around 7, and nothing was worse then the sound of a snake or a dead oxen at full volume to scare the living crap out of me. D:

You had me LOL on that one. I loved Oregon Trail! I miss it.

#13 BlackjackCF

BlackjackCF

• Helper Trainee (A)
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:43 AM

Wow that takes me way back!

I used to love finishing my work early at school because the teacher had Oregon Trail on her computer... and I'd rush my work just to play it!

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button