Can you trust download.com?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 anothrguitarist

anothrguitarist

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:43 PM

I've used download.com for a long time. However, I often wonder whether they support software with spyware in it. Should I blindly download content from download.com?

P.S. I want to download flash and media capture 1.01. is it safe?

Edited by anothrguitarist, 14 February 2007 - 02:44 PM.

#2 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:57 PM

You shouldn't blindly download free software from anywhere. That being said, I use Download.com myself on occasions and I've never had any problems with any of their software downloads. They're well connected and well thought of generally. But what I do, before downloading any software I'm not too familiar with, is Google it.
For example, if you Google Flash and Media Capture 1.0.1, it's available on several reputable download sites, and I don't see any posts saying 'help, I downloaded Flash and Media Capture 1.0.1 and now I'm infected', which is always a bad sign!
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#3 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,815 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:19 PM

Agreed with jedi 100%

What I see a lot nowadays is people relying on the user reviews to determine whether the product is safe or not.

Several of these reviews are by either the software company themselves, or people paid to spam good reviews.

So in case you were wondering, it is not a good idea to judge a piece of software's security by reading the reviews.

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,574 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:39 PM

What do you mean by trust?? I trust them to have software for download... I am pretty sure they don't make any promises that what they offer is malware free and that they don't really check it for that... As far as I can tell, they are simply a big and well known download site, it is up to the user to check for problems with the software offered... Caveat Emptor...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#5 anothrguitarist

anothrguitarist

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:13 PM

Budfred,

If you look on the main page of download.com at the top left corner it says:

"Download.com
Safe, trusted, and spyware free."

#6 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,574 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:20 PM

Budfred,

If you look on the main page of download.com at the top left corner it says:

"Download.com
Safe, trusted, and spyware free."

I hadn't noticed that, but the same critique holds... They don't seem to have a clear statement anywhere that they screen for malware... A lot of companies put out slogans promising all sorts of wonderful things, but I think you will find that most of those slogans are not true in practice... Again, caution is advised if you use downloads from download.com or almost any other download site... I would certainly trust them more than Kazaa though... :lol:
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#7 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:52 PM

Personally, I don't care for d/l.com since they have had some "interesting" mishaps, but in general, they do have links to the author's homepage, which is always the best source of information about a given product -- as well as the best source of the product itself. If there is no suthor link listed, maybe one should ask "why not?" Getting the widest variety of opinions about any given thing (software or otherwise) is always a sagacious path, agreed?
After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#8 siaus22

siaus22

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 08:45 AM

I've generally used D/l.com and not had any major problems with them. Had one or 2 try to install search toolbars which has generally meant that I've googled the details about the toolbar. other than that it's been fine.

#9 theburn7

theburn7

The New Coca-Cola Drinking Anti-malware

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:59 PM

Download.com is not reliable, many bad downloads, look on the reviews and see if any body said theres a virus in it, also google the name of the program and see if its a virus. Don't believe: 100% Spyware free, they dont test everything, so keep aware!

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button