Photo

VSAdd-In/Smitfraud/Virtumonde - Wheres it coming from!?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 EdButler

EdButler

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:51 AM

Hi Guys,

Firstly, great respect goes to you all who helps out. Ive read many removal articles, but due to using Vista they couldnt help! As a power user ive always had the sense to avoid viruses and spyware before and only ever had a previous infection 10 or so years ago, however this one takes the biscuit!

Ive had the VSAdd-In toolbar (and everything else like Smitfraid and Virtumonde etc.) pop up now on 3 different fresh installs of Vista and would just like to know where the heck it could be coming from! Ive only been installing the bare minimum of applications that mostly have been running on other un-infected machines:
  • ASUS A6Tc Vista Drivers
  • All Vista Updates
  • Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
  • nVidia Purevideo
  • Windows Live Messenger
As soon as i got rid of the crappy Vista UAC (the thing that asks you to confirm everything you are doing), all the spyware/malware starts cropping up everywhere. Im on a network but no other users have it. I also have a Hard Disk partition but fully scanned all other files and it doesnt seem to be residing there.

THEREFORE i went back to XP MCE 2005 SP2. However after doing a re-format on a friends PC, using my Laptop as a backup device, VSAdd-In is now on that PC! I cannot believe it as i only installed the updates, Office and Messenger!

Please could anyone tell me where it could be coming from? Does it need to be executed as a script or can it simply leap across networks/hard disks?

Many Thanks in anticipation, Ed Butler

#2 EdButler

EdButler

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 01:09 PM

Any ideas anyone?

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button