Backdoor.VB.wm

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wndynewton

wndynewton

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:10 AM

I was wanting to know where I could have picked this up. My daughter put a background on her neo pets look up, and on the same day my son used some site to put a play list on his myspace page. I think that is probably it. Can you get it from pasting backgounds though? Because I told my daughter she couldn't do that anymore until I found out. And of course my son is no longer aloud to use the music thing. Thanks, I just don't know a lot about this stuff :rolleyes:

#2 pivonka571

pivonka571

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:02 AM

Other people will have information addressing your question specifically, but in the meantime this site has "So how did I get infected in the first place?" to help you protect your machine yourself. You can also look at http://vil.nai.com/v...nt/v_129492.htm (The McAfee site) which has this:
  • Trojans do not self-replicate. They spread manually, often under the premise that the executable is something beneficial
  • Trojans may also be received as a result of poor security practices, or un-patched machines and vulnerable systems
  • Distribution channels include IRC, peer-to-peer networks, email, newsgroups postings, etc.
There is a list of aliases, other names used by other anti-virus companies, there too, so you can check those companies sites for more information.

A well protected machine (security updates in place and running AV software) running the XP SP2 OS should not be easily infected by anything users who do not have admin privileges on the machine. You haven't given any details of your setup, but I'd bet you do not have separate, non Admin, users set up for use by your kids. If not, that might be something you would want to do, for them and for yourself when you are not actually maintaining the machine.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button