7 replies to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

quietman7

• Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:48 AM

The greatest threat to your privacy may not come from cookies, spyware or websites tracking and analysing your web surfing habits.

Instead, it may come from search engines, which collect and store records of your searches. Search engines track your search terms, the sites you visit as a result of your searches, the times you conduct your searches and your IP address. This makes it possible to figure out who you are, what your likes and dislikes are, and what you do online...

Full article with all the tips is here.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2019
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#2 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 01:41 PM

Thanks, this is a really useful article.
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

quietman7

• Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 01:49 PM

Your welcome.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

quietman7

• Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:48 AM

Google to make search anonymous

Google is to start making its logs of users' searches anonymous under a policy announced yesterday. The records will be intially retained as now, but then adjusted after 18-to-24 months. Up to now Google has retained a record of every search, with a log that can associate it with an individual PC. The policy announced yesterday will be implemented within the next year. It's intended to protect searchers' privacy...

I see it did not take long for them to respond to PC Advisor's previous article.

#5 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:44 PM

My main concern hasn't so much been privacy, since there is little one can do about it without sacrificing a great deal of ready functionality (and computers are already way too hard to use, imo), but that the search engine(s) will feed you what they "think" you might want to know, instead of simply what is, based upon the data they have collected. This seems to me to be a more immediate consequence of their collection activities. It also seems ot me that instead of collecting this information, it might be a better idea to go ahead and devote those resources to more fully catalogueing the net, which (according to the number you accept) varies from ~8-16%. How long have they been around now? and this is the best that can be expected? Hmmm.

/spelling

Edited by hornet777, 17 March 2007 - 06:45 PM.

After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#6 AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster

• SWI Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,104 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:57 AM

Another choice to add to the list...

> http://us.ixquick.co...ig_brother.html
"...Ixquick will permanently delete all personal search details gleaned from its users from the log files... "This new feature of our search engine ensures both optimal privacy protection and maximum search performance for our customers, since they will be able to search using the 11 best search engines without their personal data being recorded"... more and more personal details are being stored electronically, many of them by search engines. While you are searching the internet, these engines register the time of your searches, the terms you used, the sites you visited and your IP address. In many cases this IP address makes it possible to trace the computer... These personal details are often retained for long periods by search engines and are of interest to commercial parties, governments and even criminals..."

.The machine has no brain.
 ......... Use your own.
Browser check for updates here.
YOU need to defend against -all- vulnerabilities.
Hacks only need to find -1- to get in...

#7 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:08 PM

ScroogleScraper too:
http://www.scroogle....bin/scraper.htm
After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#8 what2donow

what2donow

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 03:07 PM

A few years ago I heard about a few sites that will let anyone surf the internet by

changing your IP address when you start from their website.

I think one website was called "Anonymizer" or something similar.

Anyone know if this is true?

I thought they could be actually downloading spyware etc onto computers instead.
-

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button