question about AVG

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shady_atem

shady_atem

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:52 AM

um, i think i found a topic somewhere about someone who had this same problem but i cant find it so i'll just make a new one. (NOT SURE IF ITS IN THE RIGHT FORUM AREA, IM NEW HERE)

i've been using my AVG test centre and everytime i scan the computer, this shell.dll, user.dll, and ntoskrnl.exe keep showing up and they say change beside them. there is absolutly NOTHING in my virus vault and my test centre says no threats found.

are these things a threat? :wtf:
are they gonna hurt my comp?
it says change, does that mean its fine now?

plz answer i had a big virus last year and i had to have my whole computer redone it was so bad. so im a very paranoid about my comp all the time. :unsure:

#2 Indrid_Cold

Indrid_Cold

Forum Deity

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,072 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:15 AM

Those files are some of the core components of the Windows operating system. AVG is simply informing you that they changed since it's last Integrity Check. There are a number of legitimate reasons that would cause those changes, Windows updates being one, and changed does not necessarily mean infected.

If you wish to reset AVG's Integrity Check to remove the warning and remonitor the current state of those files then delete the file named AVG7QT.DAT in C:\ and AVG will rebuild it the next time it is run.
Hope is not a method.

If I have helped in some way, please consider donating to SpywareInfo's crusade against Malware See Here

Member of ASAP since 2004 Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals
Member of UNITE since 2006 United Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Fight back Malware Complaints

#3 shady_atem

shady_atem

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:54 AM

ok, thanx

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button