10 replies to this topic

#1 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,814 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 08:47 PM

Thought I'd start the discussion topic for this week's (month's?) Newsletter.

First and foremost, fantastic idea by the staff to begin this project. I remember sending cnm a PM regarding her topic from ages ago: "Would you like to see an informal newsletter?" I'm very glad to see this idea pull through.

Now then, a few points that popped in my head...

First... If and (hopefully) when this builds enough popularity to be sent out via e-mail, why not have a product sponsor of some sort (whether it be from a specific company like Webroot, or something related to FlyingHamster). I'm sure there's still a financial stress emanating from the forum...

Second... As I previously alluded to, something to be discussed is the rate at which these publications will be distributed. Will this be a weekly newsletter? Monthly? Or perhaps it will have no specific time frame, and will be released when enough material has been accumulated?

Third... While I know this is still very new, the formatting of this is something to be considered as well. Instead of strolling through randomly in search of a desirable article/opinion piece to read, a table of contents of sorts would be helpful, with links to the specific posts down the page. Just a matter of convenience, really.

That's all for now... I hope to contribute to this often, and I hope that this idea continues to grow :thumbsup:

~screen317

Please feel free to comment on any of this or anything on your mind regarding the subject.

Remember, if you want to receive update notices of the newsletter, subscribe to this topic:
http://www.spywarein...showtopic=98606

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,426 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 09:48 PM

We hope for this to be a monthly event, but that will depend on whether we can all get enough material together to make it happen...

The possibility of a sponsor is not currently feasible due to the way things are set up... Maybe someday...

While a table of contents wouldn't be terribly difficult to do since we probably will always have only a few features, it also doesn't seem that necessary because we will probably always have only a few features... Each edition will be contained in a separate topic, so it might make more sense to have a table of contents for the list of editions... Of course, with only one edition available, that would be premature...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 racooper

racooper

Master of my own Domain

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 10:14 PM

there's previously been some talk about a future email list. Mayhap we can include some Flying Hamster links if this goes to distribution, but that hasn't really been discussed yet. It's a great idea to consider, though!

#4 ChrisRLG

ChrisRLG

Malware Remover

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:28 PM

Re email

If you subscribe to this topic.

http://www.spywarein...showtopic=98606

You will get that email telling you about the next edition.

You can then visit and read :)
ASAP member since 2004 - MS MVP member since 2005
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
My- computer Safety online - Article and others Texruss's Hijackthis FAQ
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."

#5 little eagle

little eagle

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:27 PM

:alarm: Nice idea Budfred Glad to see the Spywareinfo Newsletter back.

Edited by little eagle, 06 May 2007 - 06:27 PM.

#6 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:58 PM

While a table of contents wouldn't be terribly difficult to do since we probably will always have only a few features, it also doesn't seem that necessary because we will probably always have only a few features... Each edition will be contained in a separate topic, so it might make more sense to have a table of contents for the list of editions... Of course, with only one edition available, that would be premature...

If each edition is a separate topic, then each section within an edition could be a separate post. That would make it trivial to have pointers in the first post pointing to the other ones.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#7 racooper

racooper

Master of my own Domain

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:47 AM

I don't like the idea of separate posts: when I read a newsletter, I would prefer to just scroll down through everything instead of having to click, and go back, and click, and go back....

It's the same reason I prefer to read the "printable format" of articles online instead of clicking through a multi-page layout.

#8 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:33 AM

I don't like the idea of separate posts: when I read a newsletter, I would prefer to just scroll down through everything instead of having to click, and go back, and click, and go back....

It's the same reason I prefer to read the "printable format" of articles online instead of clicking through a multi-page layout.

That would only be if you have the display set to Outline. At the top right of the first post, there is a dropdown menu "Options". Under Display Modes, click Standard and you will see all the posts at once. Then you can scroll through them, no need to click.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#9 racooper

racooper

Master of my own Domain

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:01 PM

oi. I should be completely awake before trying to post online.

I misunderstood...substitute topics for posts and what I said would have made more sense. Now that I'm fully awake, please disregard what I said....

#10 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 05:12 PM

thanks for this gr8 idea, all!
After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#11 PP3P

PP3P

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:10 PM

interesting and enlightening reading :D

Member of

Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button
PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!