How effective is a router v trojan

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 arclightxp

arclightxp

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:22 AM

I'm currently having problems getting rid of a trojan (this isn't a 'help me' post, I've a posted a message on the right board for that.), and I was wondering how effective a router is at stopping trojans. I don't mean stop them getting onto your PC in the first place, but to stop a hacker using them.

Say eebil1337haxor is looking around for pc's with trojans installed is he likely to find me if all ports are blocked, or does the trojan broadcast itself? According to sites like 'shields up' I'm damned near invisible as far as anyone on the net is concerned.

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,526 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:38 AM

Trojans are often installed by programs you have downloaded and your router firewall may not be able to protect you from them... A software firewall in addition to a router firewall is stronger, but still does not ensure that you won't be infected... What you do has at least as much importance in security as what you use to protect your system...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,476 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:02 AM

Just to add, if a trojan backdoor was running on your system, when it tried to go out the router won't stop it, or prevent it from connecting to where ever it wants to connect to, because the request came from your system, and could then even download more malware, since the request came from your system. A typical NAT router will only stop incoming replies that were NOT in response to a request from your system, such as a trojan or virus on another system looking for other systems to infect.

That's why it's important to have a rules based software firewall that would normally stop the outgoing connection as coming from a program that you had not previously authorized, and wait for your input on what to do (and the Windows XP SP2 firewall doesn't check outgoing connections).

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#4 arclightxp

arclightxp

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:16 AM

Thanks guys. Thats cleared it up.

I knew how they get on your PC, I was just wondering how effective a router is at protecting from anything mailicious when your infected.

Must admit the bit about the windows firewall was a surprise to me.Looks like be getting a decent firewall again.

#5 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,476 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:21 AM

Even a real hardware firewall (more expensive than a typical NAT router) wouldn't necessarily stop it. I have a Zywall, and while it has rules and filtering, it's for the inbound connection.

Two free software firewalls are Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall available from http://www.sunbelt-s...e.com/Kerio.cfm, or Zone Alarm from zonelabs.com http://www.zonelabs....reeDownload.jsp. There is a tutorial on understanding firewalls at http://www.bleepingc...tutorial60.html.

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#6 AyRecovery

AyRecovery

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:59 AM

Trojans also can be installed with other input device

#7 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:55 AM

Trojans also can be installed with other input device

To what, out of curiosity, do you refer? I've never seen a mouse, keyboard, or tablet (all input devices) install anything but drivers.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#8 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,526 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:35 AM

Tuxedo Jack,

AyRecovery is a SPAMmer who posted solely to advertise the link in his/her/its signature and that has been removed...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#9 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:29 AM

It figures.

Hmmph - the ONE time I go out of my way to help someone, and I get mocked by a spammer!

/me runs off sobbing into a corner.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button