Driver cleaner pop up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Chunkybuddha

Chunkybuddha

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:19 PM

My girlfriend likes to go to this one site that has that annoying "try our driver cleaner product" pop up. It actually isn't even a pop up but more of a re-direct to a different site. In order for you to get rid of it you have to close the window completly because if you click OK then the pop up will install spyware and if you select cancel it will just refresh. I am sure someone has come across this before.

My question is how can I block it from coming up? I run Internet Explorer (newest ediotion whatever that is) and I have pop-up blocker turned on.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,577 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:36 PM

My girlfriend likes to go to this one site that has that annoying "try our driver cleaner product" pop up. It actually isn't even a pop up but more of a re-direct to a different site. In order for you to get rid of it you have to close the window completly because if you click OK then the pop up will install spyware and if you select cancel it will just refresh. I am sure someone has come across this before.

My question is how can I block it from coming up? I run Internet Explorer (newest ediotion whatever that is) and I have pop-up blocker turned on.

Thanks in advance.

As you said, it is not a popup, so the popup blocker won't do much... I suggest running FireFox with the NoScripts extension installed... Also, depending on what is causing the redirect, you could try IE-Spyads and SpywareBlaster... Have you read the article: "So how did I get infected in the first place?"??
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 Chunkybuddha

Chunkybuddha

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:56 PM

Once again, thanks for saving me budfred :p. I have always kept up to date with windows updates but I am knew to all the extras you can install to help internet explorer. I might even try mozilla firefox out, but I have not liked it in the past. But nevertheless if mozilla is safer I'll deal with it :p.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button